Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats eating marigold seedlings

Options
  • 25-04-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

I transferred my marigold seedlings to bigger pots and moved them outside. They were good strong seedlings big enough to handle and transplant easily. That was less than a week ago and since then I'm losing one or two most nights. It's like something has just eaten a cm or two off the stalk and severed it clean resulting in the leaves just sort of resting on the surface of the soil perfectly untouched! I lost 3 last night :(

No evidence of slugs, not so much of a nibble gone off the leaves. I feel like it's something in the soil chewing the stalks? Usually it's the slugs I have to worry about, they eat everything but the stalk.

I've planted more seeds as I've lost a good 10 or 12 plants now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Could be a weevil of some sort. Best way to find out is to nip out at night time and catch the culprit in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Same thing is after happening my tray of petunia seedlings. I thought I damaged them when I transplanted them a little early (didn't realise just how delicate the roots are!) but I had 2 or 3 strong healthy seedlings left this morning and looked down at the tray this evening and they had pretty much vanished. I could see the very tip of a leaf poking above the soil so I dug around and found a grub :mad:

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them or just wait and watch all my hard work get eaten?

I have grow bags with spuds and peas nearby, should I be worried about these?

Advertisement