Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Priests and their obsession with Status and Wealth

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Make up my mind on what is going on in yours?
    Are you trolling? Dyslexia doesn't stop you saying what you meant, just answer the question.

I'm not going to discuss anything with you because you're suggesting me of trolling,

I don't have to give you an answer.

Answer the question ???

Why are you so set on getting an answer ?

I'll leave your question in Limbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Kylta wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this debate. We have very intelligent posters here, who I must say are educating me in both camps as you put your opinions forward. The debate really centres on evidence for non-believers and faith for believers.

Sums it up really. I never had an interaction with God or Jesus, but if I did it would change me. At present there is too much pointing towards God that is all powerful and knowing. With atheistism there are so many coincidences that need to be overlooked and reliance placed on theories that make no sense. At some point the penny drops for some and they seek out Jesus for salvation, while for others they don't. Like having a parachute I would much prefer putting my trust in Jesus than dying tomorrow and realising it is too late.

If the bible is true, and to me it looks like it is true, then it is a game changer. It means the world we live in is controlled by the Devil with the illumanti carrying out his work, and so we should keep an open mind to most things rather than be deceived by the mainstream media or possibly the education system. The education system places emphasis solely on science, which means the supernatural does not form part of the thinking. This would then automatically rule out God, the Devil, Sin, demons, angels, heaven and hell for those that persist only in science to explain everything to them.

Christ is very powerful against the Devil and his demons. We see in the bible he had the power to force demons out of people, and in todays world his power is used in exorcisms. He took the punishment for our sins on the cross and that gift is free to anyone who accepts him as their saviour. Christ's power has transformed people around the world. He came into the world for sinners and even the most sinful have received a new heart with new intentions when they accept Jesus and the holy spirit enters them. We will all find out eventually when we die, but for me anyway I will continue to put my trust in Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

nthclare wrote: »
    I'm not going to discuss anything with you because you're suggesting me of trolling,

I don't have to give you an answer.

Answer the question ???

Why are you so set on getting an answer ?

I'll leave your question in Limbo...

I suggested you might be trolling because you suggested that I explain your post for you. If you have alternative then I suggest that you suggest it.

You said something and I requested a clarification. It is really looking like you have no clarification to make, that your post was made to get a rise without any substance to it. This would all go away if you could just explain what you meant.

Sums it up really. I never had an interaction with God or Jesus, but if I did it would change me. At present there is too much pointing towards God that is all powerful and knowing. With atheistism there are so many coincidences that need to be overlooked and reliance placed on theories that make no sense. At some point the penny drops for some and they seek out Jesus for salvation, while for others they don't. Like having a parachute I would much prefer putting my trust in Jesus than dying tomorrow and realising it is too late.

If the bible is true, and to me it looks like it is true, then it is a game changer. It means the world we live in is controlled by the Devil with the illumanti carrying out his work, and so we should keep an open mind to most things rather than be deceived by the mainstream media or possibly the education system. The education system places emphasis solely on science, which means the supernatural does not form part of the thinking. This would then automatically rule out God, the Devil, Sin, demons, angels, heaven and hell for those that persist only in science to explain everything to them.

Christ is very powerful against the Devil and his demons. We see in the bible he had the power to force demons out of people, and in todays world his power is used in exorcisms. He took the punishment for our sins on the cross and that gift is free to anyone who accepts him as their saviour. Christ's power has transformed people around the world. He came into the world for sinners and even the most sinful have received a new heart with new intentions when they accept Jesus and the holy spirit enters them. We will all find out eventually when we die, but for me anyway I will continue to put my trust in Jesus.

I think your post is interesting and gain's respect from a pagan.
    I do believe that Jesus had a lot of good in his heart, but I think he was more of a pagan than worshiping the God of the Jew's.
    His message was contradictory to the Tora and a lot of the old testament.

He would probably fit in more with Buddhism than the fire and brimstone of the Abrahamic belief's.

I believe Demons are possibly all around us Pazuzu is an evil spirit, along with many more.

Jesus's name puts the fear in a lot of Demon's, and some Atheists I know squirm up like a worm in a jar of salt when Christians try to preach the gospel etc.

I'm agnostic and like learning about people's beliefs and values.

Don't be a dick is a big thing.

I like to have a chat with the Christians and Muslims on the street in Galway, they like friendly banter and being laddish and slagging each other off...
    No offense, nothing pysonal as the New Yorkers say...

I believe that when I die I'll change into something better than a pile of rotten flesh and bones....

There's beauty in life and death...

I like darkness, gothic art and mysticism, I'm not so much attracted to the cloudy heaven and golden city and pearly gates though...

I'm not out to harm anyone, but I don't stand for putting up with narcissism and manipulation...
    I'd not back down from a good debate.
    But I respect people's beliefs or lack of thereof.

But try to get me tied in knots is a bad idea because I can play that game too.
    It's easy to observe narcissistic people on boards who's only agenda is to be top dog or win a debate rather than partake.

We all get to the finishing line in the time allocated to us.

I've read interesting ideas about how the universe could be folded like a piece of paper, therefore time travel could theoretically be possible.
    It's mind blowing stuff and it's science and mathematics combined into an Idea....

The universe is amazing and I love to learn.
    I'm getting better at reading and absorbing information, as being dyslexic and a poet can be hard going while trying to explain myself...

Like a parachute, I would much rather put my trust in the science of parachute physics than jump out of a plain assuming a magic being will save me just because.
    Everything you have put forward so far has been clearly debunked, do you have anything else re: coincidences and nonsensical theories that you thingk supports the existence of a god?

Why the bible and not the torah? Or teh quran? Or the Hindu Vedas?
    If something is not scientifically testable, if it is not falsifiable, then how is it distinguishable from not existing in the first place?

And Saitama can defeat anyone with one punch. Anything can be said about anyone, doesn't make it true.
    What is the difference between a universe that Jesus exists as you say and fights evil, and a universe that arose naturally without god existing?

• Advertisement

I suggested you might be trolling because you suggested that I explain your post for you. If you have alternative then I suggest that you suggest it.

You said something and I requested a clarification. It is really looking like you have no clarification to make, that your post was made to get a rise without any substance to it. This would all go away if you could just explain what you meant.

Oldrnwiser is probably a nice man or woman but just because they are older and wiser doesn't mean that we all have to take on their discussion as wise and better than anyone elses post's.

Telling me this will all go away, make's it soud like it's here to stay unless I respond to your question.
    So in order to get it over with.
    I don't find some of their post's better than anyone elses post's.

He or she doesn't seem to be able to understand the opposition and bails out of the subject matter if they're not getting the answer they want.

It's like fishing you need to know your quarry before the first flick of the fly..
    No point in using a beach caster while fishing for a trout in a chalk stream.

Oldrnwiser is probably a nice man or woman but just because they are older and wiser doesn't mean that we all have to take on their discussion as wise and better than anyone elses post's.

Telling me this will all go away, make's it soud like it's here to stay unless I respond to your question.
    So in order to get it over with.
    I don't find some of their post's better than anyone elses post's.

There is nothing in oldnwsr's post that is antagonistically overbearing or arrogant, their posts are just very well written with plenty of clear supporting evidence. If you feel that a well written and evidenced post is someone declaring that they are wiser and better than everyone else then that makes you seem as pathetically insecure tbh.
    He or she doesn't seem to be able to understand the opposition and bails out of the subject matter if they're not getting the answer they want.

Are we talking about the same oldrnwisr here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What was the thread about again? :) Something about whether the priests wear prada or something, or can afford to add pineapples to their pizza.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What was the thread about again? :) Something about whether the priests wear prada or something

Or as the say in Unionist circles up North, orange is the new black :pac:

There is nothing in oldnwsr's post that is antagonistically overbearing or arrogant, their posts are just very well written with plenty of clear supporting evidence. If you feel that a well written and evidenced post is someone declaring that they are wiser and better than everyone else then that makes you seem as pathetically insecure tbh.

Are we talking about the same oldrnwisr here?

Take what you like and leave out the accusations of insecurity and digs, if you want to take the moral high ground you can sail as high and mighty as you please.

Pathetically insecure, give me a break.
    We're all insecure in our own ways, you're observation could be right.
    And so what if I sound pathetically insecure,big swing of the Micky.
    I can stand back observe your response, take it in. Say to myself Mark Hamil helped me to see my insecurities. He took me down a peg or too.
    Fair enough my bad Mark helped me today to realise I'm pathetically insecure.

I'm pathetically insecure, Mark is a good man.
    Mark can move on now, because Nthclare realised Nthclare is pathetically insecure.
    Mark Hamill's good deed for the day.

We could have our own adult witty ladybird book.

Mark and Nthclare go on to boards.ie

We can sail off into the sunset now, being secure that there's been a lesson learned.

Mark you're right and I'm wrong.

Thanks Mark

• Advertisement

Take what you like and leave out the accusations of insecurity and digs, if you want to take the moral high ground you can sail as high and mighty as you please.

Pathetically insecure, give me a break.
    We're all insecure in our own ways, you're observation could be right.
    And so what if I sound pathetically insecure,big swing of the Micky.
    I can stand back observe your response, take it in. Say to myself Mark Hamil helped me to see my insecurities. He took me down a peg or too.
    Fair enough my bad Mark helped me today to realise I'm pathetically insecure.

I'm pathetically insecure, Mark is a good man.
    Mark can move on now, because Nthclare realised Nthclare is pathetically insecure.
    Mark Hamill's good deed for the day.

We could have our own adult witty ladybird book.

Mark and Nthclare go on to boards.ie

We can sail off into the sunset now, being secure that there's been a lesson learned.

Mark you're right and I'm wrong.

Thanks Mark

Well if you resort to waffle and sarcasm instead of answering posts, then yes it does make your posts seem very pathetic and insecure. You have thrown a lot of negative claims about oldrnwsr without any explanation or support. But I guess asking you to support your claims is just arrogant of me :rolleyes:.

Well if you resort to waffle and sarcasm instead of answering posts, then yes it does make your posts seem very pathetic and insecure. You have thrown a lot of negative claims about oldrnwsr without any explanation or support. But I guess asking you to support your claims is just arrogant of me :rolleyes:.

Well sure that's it case closed, I appreciate your concern for other boards member's, if you're that worried about it it's good to talk to someone.

No need to roll your eyes at your character defects sure I'm a walking contradiction myself , it's ok we all shoot ourselves in the foot now and again.

I often sometimes roll my eyes in humility at myself when I get my flies caught in the tree's, it's like fck can't reach that high.

Don't give yourself a hard time, I didn't expect you to roll your eyes at your own arrogance...

But I identify with you.

Mod warning: As per the charter, please remember to keep your negative comments to the post, not the poster. Thanks for your attention.

What was the thread about again? :) Something about whether the priests wear prada or something, or can afford to add pineapples to their pizza.

The devil loves Prada they say.

In my opinion the church has always been ostentatious, dare you question otherwise I'm in the past you're a marked man.

My local priest supposedly drives a BMW 5 series, never at home to answer eBay and Amazon deliveries, always ends up in a neighbour's house, and he probably has a girlfriend or boyfriend too.

At this stage anything I hear about the Catholic church wouldn't surprise me.
    Its charitable, greedy, lazy, over enthusiastic, lot's of scandal...

I too once upon a time went on the crusade about the fact that the local priest should be like Russel Brand riding a donkey and living in a mud hut somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

When it comes down to it I would not say that priests, by the large, are in any way obsessed with status or wealth. Independent TD's on the other hand...

Dan.

Well sure that's it case closed, I appreciate your concern for other boards member's, if you're that worried about it it's good to talk to someone.

No need to roll your eyes at your character defects sure I'm a walking contradiction myself , it's ok we all shoot ourselves in the foot now and again.

I often sometimes roll my eyes in humility at myself when I get my flies caught in the tree's, it's like fck can't reach that high.

Don't give yourself a hard time, I didn't expect you to roll your eyes at your own arrogance...

But I identify with you.

I've given you every opportunity to explain why you think oldrnwisr's posts are obnoxious and missing the point. Why can't you just support your claims instead of throwing out insults (weakly hidden behind faux humility)?

Why do think oldrnwsr thinks everyone should just take their posts as better as everyone else's?
    Where do you think they have misunderstood the opposition and where have they bailed out?

I've given you every opportunity to explain why you think oldrnwisr's posts are obnoxious and missing the point. Why can't you just support your claims instead of throwing out insults (weakly hidden behind faux humility)?

Why do think oldrnwsr thinks everyone should just take their posts as better as everyone else's?
    Where do you think they have misunderstood the opposition and where have they bailed out?

Why why why..
    Look I'm beginning to think you're a bit of a creep.
    Actually no there's something wrong here, and I suggest you ignore me because I don't feel like I have to answer your questions.

You're like someone with narcissistic personality disorder, you keep on twisting everything.

Go on shoo shoo go way, off with you.

Why why why..
    Look I'm beginning to think you're a bit of a creep.
    Actually no there's something wrong here, and I suggest you ignore me because I don't feel like I have to answer your questions.

You're like someone with narcissistic personality disorder, you keep on twisting everything.

Go on shoo shoo go way, off with you.

Mod: Carded, you've already been warned to attack the post not the poster as laid out in the charter. Please limit your comments to what people have said rather than your opinion of their character. If you have issue with another posters style please address your reply to that poster first. Thanks for your attention.

smacl wrote: »
    Mod: Carded, you've already been warned to attack the post not the poster as laid out in the charter. Please limit your comments to what people have said rather than your opinion of their character. If you have issue with another posters style please address your reply to that poster first. Thanks for your attention.

They got what they were looking for I intentionally responded the way I did because I don't care about being carded.

Sometimes in life you have to tell people go **** themselves, stand up and be counted or you'll have to be dealing with **** for the rest of your life....

They got what they were looking for I intentionally responded the way I did because I don't care about being carded.

Sometimes in life you have to tell people go **** themselves, stand up and be counted or you'll have to be dealing with **** for the rest of your life....

Mod: If you want to continue to post on this forum, you have to abide by the rules set out in the charter which includes no personal attacks. If you don't like what someone is saying, restrict your comments to what they're saying. If you can't do this, simply ignore them and don't respond.

I'd also ask you to avoid making derogatory comments about another posters posting style addressed to the forum in general rather than to the poster themselves

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Mod: If you want to continue to post on this forum, you have to abide by the rules set out in the charter which includes no personal attacks. If you don't like what someone is saying, restrict your comments to what they're saying. If you can't do this, simply ignore them and don't respond.

I'd also ask you to avoid making derogatory comments about another posters posting style addressed to the forum in general rather than to the poster themselves

Thanks point taken, I am prone to reaction rather than responding I'm only human after all.

I'm sure Mark's a nice guy, I apologize for my comments about oldrnwiser I looked at his post's I got him mixed up with someone else.
    Happens sometimes, I didn't mean to offend Mark Hammil, maybe we crossed wires, or something within me was on the defensive rather than responsive.

So Mark I'll leave it there and I will take on board with the charter of the forum...
    Hopefully we can move forward and let our indifferences behind us.

I also wish to say I'm sorry for upsetting the flow, and my apologies to Robindch too, myself and Robindch hop off each other every few years and I know he puts in a lot of work over the years moderating this forum.

So I wish you well, and I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ann G

When it comes down to it I would not say that priests, by the large, are in any way obsessed with status or wealth. Independent TD's on the other hand...

From my experience, I disagree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ann G wrote: »
    From my experience, I disagree completely.

Likewise. The "Spiritains", previously known as the "holy ghost fathers" being a case in point. Rather than address the real issues of child abuse they were perfectly happy to tar anyone who went "outside" the school in the blackest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ann G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Catholics (if I remember correctly, it has been some time) consider their faith the faith of Jesus and thus their church his church.

Constantine's church. Christ never founded any church.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

Maybe a bit off the thread.

Christ gave a commission to Peter and asked his followers to spread his teachings to the whole world. The word church is often misunderstood. All who believe in Christ, and spread his teachings, are the church and as we follow Christ, falteringly perhaps, we are the church initiated by Christ during his time on earth.
    But I agree that the scandals which have been a feature of the church from the beginning are a source of great shame to all true believers. Truly the catholic church in particular is a church of sinners which is probably why so many of us feel confortable in it.

monara wrote: »
    Maybe a bit off the thread.

Christ gave a commission to Peter and asked his followers to spread his teachings to the whole world. The word church is often misunderstood. All who believe in Christ, and spread his teachings, are the church and as we follow Christ, falteringly perhaps, we are the church initiated by Christ during his time on earth.
    But I agree that the scandals which have been a feature of the church from the beginning are a source of great shame to all true believers. Truly the catholic church in particular is a church of sinners which is probably why so many of us feel confortable in it.

If only someone had come up with this idea about 5 hundred years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

If only someone had come up with this idea about 5 hundred years ago.

Actually someone came up with the idea over 2000 years ago but I'm sure you knew that. The idea have been repeated in every generation since. And I believe the idea has been and still is sincerely held by many.

• Advertisement

monara wrote: »
    The word church is often misunderstood. All who believe in Christ, and spread his teachings, are the church and as we follow Christ, falteringly perhaps, we are the church initiated by Christ during his time on earth.

Out of curiosity, would you include the likes of the Jehovah's Witnesses in the above statement? Reason I ask is that I know very many Christians don't consider any non-trinitarian Christians to be Christian, even though those people profess to follow and spread the word of Christ according as they believe it to be.

Over the course of history there seems to have been a considerable amount of blood spilled by one group of Christians attacking another group of Christians over what seem rather minor differences to those of us who aren't in the least Christian.

Advertisement