Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring contacts from old to new sim

Options
  • 25-04-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the incorrect forum but I couldn’t find what I need. Maybe a MOD could transfer it please.

I bought husband a new phone off Vodafone website. A new SIM card was required also (you had no choice anyway).
    I rang yesterday to activate and get contacts transferred across. No contacts transferred as of this morning. I rang VF again to be told the contacts can’t be transferred across to new sim.

It was one of those old style Nokia’s they brought back out a few years ago that he had and it’s now a basic Vodafone smartphone. It’s not possible to do a back up on his old phone like you do with smartphones.

Does anyone know if the info should have been transferred from old SIM card to onto new SIM card. All Bar about 20 numbers were saved to sim not phone. There is 100’s of numbers that will need to be manually written down and then inputted if this is the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Go to home screen and touch the "Contacts" icon.
    Touch the "Menu" key and select the "Import/Export" option.
    Select "Export to SIM card" and then choose the contacts to copy. Touch "Export" and then touch "Yes" to begin copying your contacts to the SIM card.

Failing that Your best bet is to connect the phone to a pc and import them to an address book in Google or a Microsoft account. Then sign in to the account on the new phone so that contacts are synced.

Storing contacts on a SIM isn't really a done thing anymore and storing them on the phone alone isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved to 'mobiles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What model Nokia is it? There's usually instructions online for all types of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

My father had a Nokia C5 which had a USB type b mini port on the top which I was then able to connect to a PC and use Nokia PC Suite (https://nokia-pc-suite.en.softonic.com/) to export the contacts on the phone to a CSV file then I logged into his Google contacts account (http://contacts.google.com/) and imported the CVS file. After a few minutes the contacts synced with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...to export the contacts on the phone to a CSV file...

Is there an option for VCF export as that format can be imported directly into phone contacts without having to go through google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Carodh wrote: »
    Sorry if this is in the incorrect forum but I couldn’t find what I need. Maybe a MOD could transfer it please.

I bought husband a new phone off Vodafone website. A new SIM card was required also (you had no choice anyway).
    I rang yesterday to activate and get contacts transferred across. No contacts transferred as of this morning. I rang VF again to be told the contacts can’t be transferred across to new sim.

It was one of those old style Nokia’s they brought back out a few years ago that he had and it’s now a basic Vodafone smartphone. It’s not possible to do a back up on his old phone like you do with smartphones.

Does anyone know if the info should have been transferred from old SIM card to onto new SIM card. All Bar about 20 numbers were saved to sim not phone. There is 100’s of numbers that will need to be manually written down and then inputted if this is the case.

The data is held locally on the SIM, and could not easily be transferred by Vodafone.

If you haven't activated the new SIM, you might be able to use it in your new phone, at least temporarily to get the numbers off it? The new phone probably takes the smallest size of SIM - "Nano". If your old SIM has the nano size pre-cut within it, you could punch it out, and insert it in your new phone.

Alternatively, if the old phone is still working with the old SIM, sign up for a free account on www.phonecopy.com, and follow the instructions for the old Nokia phone config. Most old Nokia phones had the capability to use the SyncML protocol to sync contacts with the cloud. Phonecopy use SyncML, and once you have uploaded the contacts to the cloud, you should be able to activate your new SIM and download to the new phone.

If you have already activated the new SIM, chances are that the old SIM cannot be used or read.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Thank you all for your advice. It’s a bog standard Nokia he had. I think a 3310 that they relaunched a few years ago. I’m going to try that website that Babelfish suggested. I might bribe the kids to start inputting the numbers into the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Thank you all for your advice. It’s a bog standard Nokia he had. I think a 3310 that they relaunched a few years ago. I’m going to try that website that Babelfish suggested. I might bribe the kids to start inputting the numbers into the new phone.

Advertisement