Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY in times of Covid-19

Options
  • 25-04-2020 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I live in a home with a garden and plenty of stuff to do, that, luckily I can really well coordinate with home office and the enhanced flexibility that this provides.

Without violating current rules of safety and free movement --- and the closures of various shops (e.g. B&Q in Naas is closed, Woodies only does home delivery but is booked out and refuses to do them these days) is the only option now to order material/tools from Amazon?

Where do you get materials from? Who still does decent home delivery in reasonable times (e.g. within a week)?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Call your local chadwicks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Call your local chadwicks

I did just that.
    They are closed, except for HSE and "urgent maintenance".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ampleforth wrote: »
    I live in a home with a garden and plenty of stuff to do, that, luckily I can really well coordinate with home office and the enhanced flexibility that this provides.

Without violating current rules of safety and free movement --- and the closures of various shops (e.g. B&Q in Naas is closed, Woodies only does home delivery but is booked out and refuses to do them these days) is the only option now to order material/tools from Amazon?

Where do you get materials from? Who still does decent home delivery in reasonable times (e.g. within a week)?

You're right. This is a great time for getting jobs done if only the suppliers were open. I need 100 4inch solids, 4x2, cement, paints etc but unable to get it. I dont mind pottering around and doing this and that but I really do hope they open hardwares/suppliers next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any country life stores near you ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Any country life stores near you ?

No. And a lot of the local co-ops arent supplying the materials I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

They'd want to open the hardware /tool stores pronto or people will go mad!

lalababa wrote: »
    They'd want to open the hardware /tool stores pronto or people will go mad!

Well the weather is great for doing stuff and Id prefer to be doing something in the garden than wandering along Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

www.screwfix.ie deliver but only if you live within 15km of their 5 stores, 2 in Dublin Sandyford and Swords and Waterford, Kilkenny and Ennis.
    I've used them and delivery was very quick, 2-3 hours after I placed the order.
    Woodies are looking at opening up in next few weeks which if happens, rest will follow.

I got timber delivered from Brennan's in kilcullen on Friday .
    Naas one is probably the same.
    They said order/pay on the phone and collect at the gate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Just saw a document being circulated to healthcare professionals that lists the following lifting of closure restrictions (albeit under strict social distancing criteria) within certain sectors. And top of the list is:

"DIY, Hardware and gardening stores can reopen, provided they implement queue control and limit the number of people inside.."

And in reality, what difference is there between say a Woodies store vs Dunnes Grocery store?! So we might be alright for our paint and household diy stuff in the near future. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Just saw a document being circulated to healthcare professionals that lists the following lifting of closure restrictions (albeit under strict social distancing criteria) within certain sectors. And top of the list is:

"DIY, Hardware and gardening stores can reopen, provided they implement queue control and limit the number of people inside.."

And in reality, what difference is there between say a Woodies store vs Dunnes Grocery store?! So we might be alright for our paint and household diy stuff in the near future. :D

Does that mean that DIY Stores open now? What is the point of being able to go 5 km far but not returning with some stuff to smear on the house or hammer ingo something else???

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does that mean that DIY Stores open now? What is the point of being able to go 5 km far but not returning with some stuff to smear on the house or hammer ingo something else???

No. 18 May, when construction workers start back.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

"A phased return of outdoor workers (for example: construction workers, gardeners, including people working on allotments) will be allowed."

"Shops that are primarily outdoor (for example: garden centres, hardware stores, farmers' markets) can re-open so long as social distancing measures can be put in place."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Lumen wrote: »
    No. 18 May, when construction workers start back.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

"A phased return of outdoor workers (for example: construction workers, gardeners, including people working on allotments) will be allowed."

"Shops that are primarily outdoor (for example: garden centres, hardware stores, farmers' markets) can re-open so long as social distancing measures can be put in place."

The queues for hardware stores will be worse than the queue for the barbeques at Lidl!
    So many people are waiting for them to reopen to get stocked up on stuff they need, let's hope the stores are fully stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Richards Builders Providers in Celbridge is open, Goodwins are delivering too, depending on your location. You need to get on the Web site early though, they close the online orders once they've reached capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Saw Hanlon Concrete delivering a pallet of blocks to a house last week - might be worth a try if they cover your area..
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're right. This is a great time for getting jobs done if only the suppliers were open. I need 100 4inch solids, 4x2, cement, paints etc but unable to get it. I dont mind pottering around and doing this and that but I really do hope they open hardwares/suppliers next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

I swear to god; If Screwfix don't start sending gear out soon? I'm gonna lose my schit completely!

I'm hoarding tons of money, in my bank account. Just waiting to open the flood gates on them. I'll be like the proverbial kiddie in a sweet shop! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Mulk wrote: »
    Richards Builders Providers in Celbridge is open, Goodwins are delivering too, depending on your location. You need to get on the Web site early though, they close the online orders once they've reached capacity

Richards is an absolute rip off when other places are open... They are even worse now.

Advertisement