Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Fox Cub - Mother Dead

• 25-04-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

There's a young fox Cub in the hedgerow close to my driveway. My wife saw him earlier on the roadway running back and forth not knowing where to run. He took refuge in the hedge. I went down to see if I could see him as she was concerned about how young he looked. Anyway he's there. I can see what I think is the mother's leg lifeless. I reckon she was hit by a car and now he's staying where she is. Don't know how long she's been there. I reckon he's about 8 weeks old. There are no other cubs. My wife and I were concerned he might be hungry. We threw down sausages and ham into him across the Briars. We could just about see him eating them. He also came out quite close to us to get one of the sausages that got snagged half way. He just looked at us, took the sausage and went back in.

Can someone tell us if there is anything more we can do for him. I'm obviously conscious that I don't want him to get used to people but he's too young to fend for himself I fear.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Unless you want a pet fox you should probably call the ISPCA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where are you based? The Kildare Animal Foundation take in wild animals, but I don't know if they're still working. Worth a try though.

https://animalfoundation.ie/wildlife/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Alun wrote: »
    Where are you based? The Kildare Animal Foundation take in wild animals, but I don't know if they're still working. Worth a try though.

https://animalfoundation.ie/wildlife/

I was going to post the same.

They had lots of rescues posted during the week.

They really do brilliant work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

anewme wrote: »
    I was going to post the same.

They had lots of rescues posted during the week.

They really do brilliant work.

I'm in Wexford. Do you think we should try to capture him and take care of him ourselves???

I'm in Wexford. Do you think we should try to capture him and take care of him ourselves???
    They are based in Kildare but still worth ringing them, they've rescued animals in Wexford before. At least they may be able to point you to someone else more local, or just give you some advice.

• Advertisement

It won't be able to fend for itself if you do.
    And they don't make good pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

antix80 wrote: »

Sadly, this is true. Nature is cruel!

Also, it would be unusual for there to be only one cub: there may well be an earth with other cubs somewhere - and it is even possible that the dog fox (and maybe even another female) could be feeding them.

So if you know of anyone who has spotted cubs or fox activity lately in the same area, you might be able to re-home the wee lad or lassie yourselves.

A long shot, but possible.

Okay so what should I do guys??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hi-just sent you a p.m there with a phone number for someone who could advise.

• Advertisement

Ring Kildare Animal Foundation for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

As its so young it won't survive on its own anyway, take it in until you can contact the wildlife rescue place... I do know of people that have successfully domesticated foxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could try calling a local vet? They’re obliged to take wildlife in and it’s likely the staff may volunteer for a rescue.

tk123 wrote: »
    You could try calling a local vet? They’re obliged to take wildlife in and it’s likely the staff may volunteer for a rescue.

They're not obliged. If they help it will be out of the goodness of their heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They're not obliged. If they help it will be out of the goodness of their heart.

I assumed they were as I’ve heard my vets saying they’re obliged.. The three vets I use treat wildlife cases and work with rescues

Hi Everyone,

OP here. I fed him last nite with food and water. He ate it within two hours. Everything!!

Anyway I put food down there this morning. . .. . something ate 3/4 of it but not the rest. Went back down there this evening and nothing more eaten but I did leave out some more for overnight.

I didn't see him at all today. He could have moved on.

I tried to call one of the lines of communication recommended to me here but couldn't get through.

Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Keep trying they are still answering and will assess and give you advice

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

Hi Everyone,

OP here. I fed him last nite with food and water. He ate it within two hours. Everything!!

Anyway I put food down there this morning. . .. . something ate 3/4 of it but not the rest. Went back down there this evening and nothing more eaten but I did leave out some more for overnight.

I didn't see him at all today. He could have moved on.

I tried to call one of the lines of communication recommended to me here but couldn't get through.

Will keep you posted.
    Keep putting food out, just in case. Thanks for helping him/her.

Advertisement