Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New potatoes - THE taste of summer

Options
  • 25-04-2020 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I nearly caused the equivalent of the great Treaty debate by saying that I didn't like floury spuds last year - While many agreed with me it was a sacrilege according to others.
    This time I'm looking for the taste of new potatoes that I remember as a nipper.
    We used to be thrilled when we saw my Mam with the new spuds in the kitchen. A big bowl of them with loads of butter mmmmmm......
    I think they came from North County Dublin, no idea of the type but they had a really distinctive taste. Any ideas what they might have been or where I might find them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I'm with you on the floury potatoes. I hate them. Can't wait for new potatoes. I remember sharing a house with my friend who landed back from Donegal at 11pm with a bag of potatoes he'd dug that day. We cookend and ate a plate each there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah but new potatoes can be extremely floury, too.
    Avoid British Queens if you don't like floury.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

jos28 wrote: »
    I nearly caused the equivalent of the great Treaty debate by saying that I didn't like floury spuds last year - While many agreed with me it was a sacrilege according to others.
    This time I'm looking for the taste of new potatoes that I remember as a nipper.
    We used to be thrilled when we saw my Mam with the new spuds in the kitchen. A big bowl of them with loads of butter mmmmmm......
    I think they came from North County Dublin, no idea of the type but they had a really distinctive taste. Any ideas what they might have been or where I might find them
    I think it's likely that the ones you remember from childhood were Home Guards. They're not floury and used to be the earliest Irish spuds available in the shops. As another poster mentioned, Queens tend to be floury and are a slightly later variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jos28 wrote: »

Rush Queens are the best !! We would normally drive out to Rush and get them from the farmers . Not this year unfortunately and its a bit early yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I know they came from North County Dublin. Mam didn't peel them, she lightly scraped the loose, flakyish skin and boiled them. They were firm when cooked and smaller than your average spud. Thanks for the hints folks, I'll be checking out Homeguards and Rush Queens as soon as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

We grew Home Guard once, but we didn't appreciate them as new potatoes, so once only.

Arran Pilot suited our soil, so we grew those every year, plus something new.

Great waxy potatoes, if you ever see them, are Ratte (once got some seed potatoes of these in a French supermarket, but late in the season, so they came with very long shoots - still grew though, and we saved a few of the crop for the next year) and Pink Fir Apple. Someone :) didn't like PFApples (too knobbly), but I thought they were great sliced and deep fried. Good boiled too. Don't remember roasting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Didn't the first new season spuds come from Italy or Cyprus? A few weeks before the Irish crop hit the market?

I remember that you had to toss them into boiling water i.e. you didn't do them from cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone know if new season Rush Queens are available anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elphinium

Beware of roadsellers selling Rush Queens that are actually "premier" variety, and not comparable at all!
    Anyone know if new season Rush Queens are available anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Elphinium wrote: »
    Beware of roadsellers selling Rush Queens that are actually "premier" variety, and not comparable at all!

Is there anyone even selling on the roadsides?

• Advertisement
Advertisement