Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post International mail service cancelled?

Options
  • 25-04-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys, I'm hoping I can find an answer to my question here. I receive quite a few packages from international countries and since An Post announced restrictions on postal services in Feb'2020 due to Covid-19 outbreak all international packages have stopping arriving.
    Im not only talking about China but also Ukraine, Belgium, Spain and Brazil.
    Funny thing is before the packages left the above countries tracking showed an unusual delay in the departure airport of every country (1 week) but they eventually departed but have not been scanned in Ireland by An Post yet!
    My question is are An Post holding all international packages recieved in Ireland and not scanning them upon arrival till the Virus lock down is over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

Hi guys, I'm hoping I can find an answer to my question here. I receive quite a few packages from international countries and since An Post announced restrictions on postal services in Feb'2020 due to Covid-19 outbreak all international packages have stopping arriving.
    Im not only talking about China but also Ukraine, Belgium, Spain and Brazil.
    Funny thing is before the packages left the above countries tracking showed an unusual delay in the departure airport of every country (1 week) but they eventually departed but have not been scanned in Ireland by An Post yet!
    My question is are An Post holding all international packages recieved in Ireland and not scanning them upon arrival till the Virus lock down is over?

I have received parcels from UK and Germany last week via An Post. Took about a week longer than normal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 martingkenny

walshtipp wrote: »
    I have received parcels from UK and Germany last week via An Post. Took about a week longer than normal though.

Thanks, I guess mine will arrive eventually then.
    They are 2 weeks delayed as of today and I have contacted all the suppliers who say they were shipped direct from international airports to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

I'm waiting a month for a package from Australia and 3 weeks from Serbia, both senders have checked and both items have left there respected countries, looks like An Post are on a real go slow, Tracking shows nothing and An Post themselves are no help, they just said the have no record of the items arriving into the country, I'm guessing/hoping they are in a holding area somewhere in Ireland, one of them is close to 2m long so shouldn't be that easy to misplace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Waiting for a package from Czech Republic and Ukraine. First one arrived in Ireland on April 1st

.No sign of either on An Post tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

How can they be so slow to process these parcels ??

• Advertisement

eiei0 wrote: »

Somebody will run out of storage shortly if they're not delivered soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Presumably social distancing in the sorting centres is affecting throughput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've had parcels from teh UK delivered a week before they were promised. An Post are doing a sterling job.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

UK had a backlog a while ago - cleared now though. Had a package sent from the UK stamped April 1st and it arrived last Friday. Ordered from Amazon UK last week and it arrived in 2 days.

Also have a package that 'left the California international distribution centre to destination' on March 23rd and I still haven't received it, nor has tracking been updated at all on this side. So not sure if it's An Post or if these packages go on passenger planes that aren't travelling at the moment and are sitting somewhere waiting to be loaded onto planes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I know of a package from China that was scanned into customs in Dublin about a month ago and hasn’t budged since.

• Advertisement

I know of a package from China that was scanned into customs in Dublin about a month ago and hasn’t budged since.
    I have 5 packages in limbo!
    The whole international postal service is a shambles at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

possibly scanned into HongKong customs where much of china post comes from - they have created enormous delays in hong kong for outgoing packages.

Anything that contains any form of PPE is stopped and rejected, but it is causing massive delays on other items

silver2020 wrote: »
    possibly scanned into HongKong customs where much of china post comes from - they have created enormous delays in hong kong for outgoing packages.

Anything that contains any form of PPE is stopped and rejected, but it is causing massive delays on other items

_Dublin_

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm waiting a month for a package from Australia and 3 weeks from Serbia, both senders have checked and both items have left there respected countries, looks like An Post are on a real go slow, Tracking shows nothing and An Post themselves are no help, they just said the have no record of the items arriving into the country, I'm guessing/hoping they are in a holding area somewhere in Ireland, one of them is close to 2m long so shouldn't be that easy to misplace

If its not in Ireland yet you can hardly blame An Post, it will be scanned when they receive it but hey blame them anyway with no evidence :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we got a parcel from Ireland via a courier service and it took 3 days. We still have not got letters posted via An Post in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We're waiting on a card from Canada about 7 weeks now. My mam just today tried to post a package (large padded envelope) to my brother in Vancouver and was told by the post office that Canada are not accepting international mail and to call every so often to see when she can post it to him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I got a package through to the US and it arrived after the Trump embargo on human travel from Ireland but dunno about since then.

The package I have coming from the US left Los Angeles on March 25th and tracking has shown that it moved through Chicago May 3rd so would be safe to assume its a foreign postal service issue as I'm still receiving things I order via An Post.

Two of my friends told me today that they tried to post mail TO Ireland last week and were told sorry Ireland are not accepting international mail at the moment from their countries.
    My friends live in Brasil & USA!
    Seems like we are being told one thing by one person and something else by another.
    What I do know for sure is the only way to send international mail at the moment and be sure it will be delivered and on time is via a private courier company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have one item that is showing as arrived in Dublin at 9:25am on April 22nd from China and hasn’t budged since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Had two parcels that hit Ireland at the start of April delivered last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

I've received parcels from Sweden, Holland, Belgium and the UK over the past 4 weeks. Maybe I'm lucky that I've experienced no issues.

I've received parcels from Sweden, Holland, Belgium and the UK over the past 4 weeks. Maybe I'm lucky that I've experienced no issues.

All from the EU/UK. Anything that comes through customs looks to be blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was waiting a month on a package from France (video equipment). The tracking told me it had supposedly left the country of origin - was stuck on that until Monday night.

Stuff is getting through. Other postal networks are curtailing their output or focusing on other deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Anybody get anything from America yet

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

Anybody get anything from America yet

Had a parcel from the US scanned into Dublin on the first of May. Still no sign of it.

walshtipp wrote: »
    Had a parcel from the US scanned into Dublin on the first of May. Still no sign of it.

Unlikely that it was scanned into Dublin. It scans on the US side that it is in Dublin whereas in reality its in a warehouse in the airport waiting for space on a flight. In a normal situation its in Dublin a few hours after the scan but because there are so few flights, airmail is now snailmail

Currently there's over 2 weeks backlog on standard airmail items from the US into many European countries.

Within Ireland An Post have very few delays - You're talking a day here and there and once an item arrives into their hub, you have it the next day or so.

All from the EU/UK. Anything that comes through customs looks to be blocked.

I'm still waiting on my non-EU packages, it over 2 months now and some of the sellers have already agreeded to refund my money at this stage.
    Looks like they're all dead in the water unfortunately.

here's the an post update. The original document is from 5th May. This update was from last Thursday. You can assume the same issues arise for items sent from those countries.
    514012.jpg

On top of that you are dependent on space being available on aircraft.

• Advertisement

My package ordered on 20th March showed multiple moves through the US in early April and early May, tracking info was all reset 20th May and left Chicago yesterday, moved through Dublin airport today. Fingers crossed for Monday!

Advertisement