Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting No POST

Options
  • 25-04-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, looking for a second opinion here.

X470D4U (AM4 server board with IPMI)
    2x 16GB sticks

The IPMI loads fine, but not all of the sensors are active. Power ones are, but MB temp and CPU temp aren't populating. I'm not sure if that's normal behaviour or not.

Fans spin, LEDs are on, no video output (either through physical monitor or IPMI console). Worryingly, there's nothing what-so-ever displayed on the debug LED either.

I swap an Athlon 200GE (I think that's what it's called. The cheap-as-chips AM4 CPU), and it's the same behaviour, except I get a "0E" on the debug LED. "Unknown microcode".

I've tried with all PCI devices removed (a HBA), and I've chopped and changed RAM, cleared CMOS, reflashed BIOS, reseated CPU.

Can anyone think of anything else it might be other than a dead CPU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dead CPU? Id be more inclined to say dead board. AFRs for CPUs are quite low.

The IPMI should be logging events as the board powers on, is it? If it were working ok I'd expect DIMM and mobo information to be populated in the sensors page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I know. I'm really hoping it's the CPU though, because that X470D4U is out of stock everywhere, unless I want to import one from the US.

DIMM and board info is there. The only iffy one that isn't is BIOS, but going to the inventory page, it says it'll populate once the system completes a POST, which it hasn't yet, so it's kind of hard to tell if information in other places also needs a POST, or if it's problem hardware.

I've arranged for another 3600 to check anyway. I won't get another (of this) board for months, so might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Seems odd it won't post with the Athlon, its still a x470 chipset at the end of the day.

Was looking into those boards before and one major bug from last years was screen related. Disconnecting the screen and then trying the IPMI "screen" might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems odd it won't post with the Athlon, its still a x470 chipset at the end of the day.

Haven't looked but these boards may mandate ECC which the Athlon wouldnt do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nah, they support UDIMMs as well.

Really the only thing I have to go on that tells me it might be CPU is that the debug display actually did something when the Athlon was in it, vs when the 3600 was in, doing exactly the same things as if there was no CPU installed.

Should have one tomorrow/Thursday, so I'll know then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement