Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of Interest. Do you know anyone who has/had Covid 19?

• 25-04-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Poll.

For Context.

I live West of the Shannon. Just outside a town on the May/Rosommon border and work in Connemara. Suffice to say, I've passed through and had dealings in many towns across Connacht.
    I'm not kidding when I say this, but I'm shocked at how busy the roads, supermarkets, farmers cooperatives, DIY stores etc, are, across the region.

Up to one week ago, I passed through quite a few checkpoints, but have seen none in the past week.

Speaking to many, the general attitude seeping through is that things have been blown out of proportion, that the disease is City-centric and care home-centric and " No one we know has Covid.

I'm sure some here based in the West or at least in more rural communities have noticed the same thing, but the overall impression, to me at least, is that of " sure we're allright"

Now I'm beginning to see the question of " Do you no anyone who actually has the disease" appearing on Twitter and Facebook.

Is anyone, who obviously has not been affected in anyway, starting to feel the same thing. Will it take the deaths of people outside the current sphere of influence to see some sense and stop doubting the severity of the current situation?
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Personally yes, 3 people, all Dublin based and one ended up in hospital for 4 days on oxygen.

Of the other two one had mild symptoms and the other had a nightmare that lasted three weeks but didn’t end up in hospital. 5 weeks later he’s still wrecked.

My sisters friends brother died of COVID in his late 50’s, he was adhering to the lockdown and left his house twice to visit the shops. No pre existing conditions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

AmberGold wrote: »
    Personally yes, 3 people, all Dublin based and one ended up in hospital for 4 days on oxygen.

Of the other two one had mild symptoms and the other had a nightmare that lasted three weeks but didn’t end up in hospital. 5 weeks later he’s still wrecked.

My sisters friends brother died in for COVID his late 50’s, he was adhering to the lockdown and left his house twice to visit the shops. No pre existing conditions either.

My condolences, of course. These are accounts which are uncommon in the West at least, hence the slow, but Sure, steady relaxation across Connacht. Those in Cities would be more Inclined to be exposed to the effects of Covid on society than rural areas. Which, so far, have not been affected. Apart from nursing homes.

I remember at the start of it, I thought everyone will know someone close to them who has died from the virus.
    That hasn't happened.
    Maybe because of brill management from the government.
    Maybe because it was over hyped in the first place.
    We will probably never know for sure which of the above is correct.
    Worth noting that some people will argue that the Y2K virus would have caused catastrophic damage if the tech companies hadn't sorted it out.
    Some think it was an overhyped non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Yes, one of my best friends has recovered fully after contracting covid in Northern Italy after a ski trip. This guy is one tough sob who I've raced triathlon and endurance races with , hes as fit as **** but this thing almost killed him. He was touch and go in ICU

This thing attacks all ages and all physical abilities.
    Stay safe

Friend of my oul lad died,2 weeks ago with it

Lived in very rural area,nice old man too

Been 7 or 8 cases in my local village,roughly half were wicked sick with it and while offially recovered,arent in the better of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes. Mothers cousin died in nursing home
    Friends father died in nursing home
    Colleague based in Swansea has it. In his 40s recovering at home.
    Friends husband also 40s lives in rural area. He’s in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I remember at the start of it, I thought everyone will know someone close to them who has died from the virus.
    That hasn't happened.
    Maybe because of brill management from the government.
    Maybe because it was over hyped in the first place.
    We will probably never know for sure which of the above is correct.
    Worth noting that some people will argue that the Y2K virus would have caused catastrophic damage if the tech companies hadn't sorted it out.
    Some think it was an overhyped non event.

The virus has only been in Ireland 8 weeks or so.
    We have been in lcokdown for about 6 weeks.
    Its not over hyped. You would have probably known someone who died from this if it was let spread. Perspective needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

3 members of my family. One pulled through. One is currently in a serious condition in hospital and the third passed away on Monday last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

no.

you should have a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

eviltwin wrote: »
    3 members of my family. One pulled through. One is currently in a serious condition in hospital and the third passed away on Monday last.

That is awful to hear, condolences and I hope your relative will pull through.

I know of one person who had it, lives in rural Cork. Went back to be a nurse in CUH to help the situation and contracted it within two weeks of being there. Has officially recovered now but still not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Pinkpotato

Yes. I know about 6 people personally, my MIL works in a nursing home for years and has seen many people she loves die. The HSE map showed my area Rampant with it, I'm not surprised I know so many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Have a look at the map of locations of confirmed cases up to 11th April.
    It looks like there's been at least one case in nearly every small town in the country.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-13-april-2020.pdf

With all due respect all you’re going to get replies from is those who do know someone, as someone said, new thread with a poll will give a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ben36

My wife who is a hca in a nursing home picked it up there and is currently 11 days diagnosed.She is self isolating and myself and our young children are keeping to ourselves as much as possible in different rooms.It's very tough

Her symptoms started off with aches and pains and throughout the last 11 days different symptoms have come and gone.She has never had a temp throughout it.Breathlessness started last Sunday and come Tuesday even talking for a few seconds was taking it out of her.

Her GP organised an assessment in a hub they setup in DCU and when checked there we were then sent to Beaumont hospital.Luckily after a few hours of checks and given oxygen she could come home.

Since then the breathlesness has improved a bit,she can talk on the phone for a few minutes and go to toilet with only a bit of trouble.Since yesterday she has developed a cough which sometimes is scary as for 20-30 mins she can't control it and is constant coughing and knocks the crap out of her so much she has to lie down for a while afterwards to get some energy back

It's so hard watching this and i can't do anything even console her while this is happening and each morning when i wake up after usually only 3 or 4 hours sleep as your so stressed and hoping the worst is done and it gets better as each days passes.

With all due respect all you’re going to get replies from is those who do know someone, as someone said, new thread with a poll will give a clearer picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

hope she recovers soon, its very very difficult time for you and your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. And I haven't heard of one in my locality yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

89 year old father in law is on oxygen 24/7 in hospital as we speak. His nursing home banned visitors early March, before the government closed the schools. In fact the chief medical officer suggested that they shouldn't ban visitors at the time. Father in law doesn't leave his room since January. Meals brought in to him. Yet he caught covid 19. I don't blame the staff who obviously infected him. They begged the HSE from the start for testing, training and PPE equipment. They got none of this until last week. Sixteen other residents were confirmed up to last Tuesday. I've no idea how many now as my father in law has been in hospital since Tuesday.

The government in its wisdom only started testing residents and staff in nursing homes a week ago. We knew in January that the elderly were the most vulnerable. Where do you find the largest numbers of elderly? Yet they ignored nursing homes for five weeks, till they started dropping like flies.

Everyone is applauding the government right now and for the country's moral no one is critical of them. In months or years ahead when we look back we will realise that the chief medical officer isn't the Saint people want him to be. The government has has made good decisions. (great even) but equally they have made terrible decisions, some of which are costing lives right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I know a 87 year old man that has just come through this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

ben36 wrote: »
    My wife who is a hca in a nursing home picked it up there and is currently 11 days diagnosed.She is self isolating and myself and our young children are keeping to ourselves as much as possible in different rooms.It's very tough

Her symptoms started off with aches and pains and throughout the last 11 days different symptoms have come and gone.She has never had a temp throughout it.Breathlessness started last Sunday and come Tuesday even talking for a few seconds was taking it out of her.

Her GP organised an assessment in a hub they setup in DCU and when checked there we were then sent to Beaumont hospital.Luckily after a few hours of checks and given oxygen she could come home.

Since then the breathlesness has improved a bit,she can talk on the phone for a few minutes and go to toilet with only a bit of trouble.Since yesterday she has developed a cough which sometimes is scary as for 20-30 mins she can't control it and is constant coughing and knocks the crap out of her so much she has to lie down for a while afterwards to get some energy back

It's so hard watching this and i can't do anything even console her while this is happening and each morning when i wake up after usually only 3 or 4 hours sleep as your so stressed and hoping the worst is done and it gets better as each days passes.

Jesus man that's scary, stay safe and all the best to you and your wife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yes. Sibling caught it working in a hospital in the north west. She’s fully recovered and back at work. Her test took over three weeks to come back from Germany.

Also know of multiple cases second hand in my own area. One in my estate. Multiple through friends in the area. And know of several more through my students in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Not really. I’ve heard of a couple of people, grandparents of friends of friends and one particularly scary case, a colleague of a friend, 43 years old, he got it really bad but has come through thankfully.

Overall though, I don’t sense it as a threat in my community. The daily new case numbers have been tiny, or even zero on many days (Galway). After a week or two of nervousness and caution, that really has gone out the window from what I can see. There is definitely a perception around here that the restrictions are over the top, that the issue is in nursing homes and more congested population centres.

I know of one man in the general local area who died due to Covid 4 weeks ago, only late 40s but with an underlying condition that hadn't been detected, tragic situation. Another man from my workplace late 50s, thankfully recovered now but he was in ICU for two weeks in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

Don't know anyone personally , but if I had a close relative in a Nursing home , I would be bringing them home fast at this time

2forjoy wrote: »
    Don't know anyone personally , but if I had a close relative in a Nursing home , I would be bringing them home fast at this time

I was thinking the same (and thankfully I'm not in that situation, my folks are in their 70s and in great health) but jesus realistically if your mother or father were in a nursing home with advanced dementia how in the hell could you look after them at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Not anybody I know personally to talk to but cousins sister in law had it and was close to needing to be ventilated, but recovered, my sister in laws grandfather passed away over Easter weekend. Another friends’ grandmother who was in a care home died a few weeks ago and a colleagues house mate has it but isn’t unwell. None of them are local to my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Yea, me. Two weeks in hospital. Horrific is a good word for it. UTI infection, ecoli blood infection, pneumonia and Covid. 4 days on 02. Didn’t make ICU thank god. Two weeks out of hospital now and still only 70%.
    And my 89 y/o mother who died from Covid the day after I was admitted.
    This thing fcuks with everything from your lungs to your toenails. Ignore it at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Sister 33,Brother in law 34, Niece 2,Nephew 5 (all recovered)

Friends Son 18 currently at home ill

Friends Aunt 92 RIP

Friends Grandfather 92 currently ill

M5 wrote: »
    Sister 33,Brother in law 34, Niece 2,Nephew 5 (all recovered)

Friends Son 18 currently at home ill

Friends Aunt 92 RIP

Friends Grandfather 92 currently ill

Are you in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

daughter in law had it (she is a nurse) mild symptoms. Son no symptoms.

Next door neighbours son, daughter-in-law and two kids have it pretty bad for the son, in hospital, the youngest child is 5 and currently is very poorly.

It is a very odd feeling, hearing this and seeing the devastation caused to some and only mild symptoms for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

An old couple down the road from me both got it. Wife is at home recovering but the husband is in the ICU. Hopefully there will be good news soon.

Two cousins got it. Two sisters. Both early 20s. One got a fairly bad dose but recovered, the other was completely asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrsgiller

My son had symptoms headache, no taste and smell back in March but wasn't tested, fully recovered. My nieces fiancée had same symptoms living in Hong Kong, hospital for 2 weeks, 2 double negative tests before he was released, niece and contacts in quarantine camp for 10 days. Friends brother in law just off 14 days on ventilator and making a slow recovery, 2 colleagues lost their mam's in the last 2 weeks. My own mam in nursing home, awaiting results of swabs. Scary times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two local middle-aged guys, neither bad cases AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Don't know anyone, so fake.

Lucky Limerick only had 2 positive cases today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well obviously the experience of people in the west and rural areas will be different. It is a lot more concentrated in the capital, I'm from Dublin and I know of 5 people who have been infected and tested positive, one woman in her 50's who was in ICU with it, and a 103 year old woman in a nursing home who died with it. And multiple other people with stereoptyical symptoms who were not tested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

GoneHome wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin?

I am, none of those are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm currently staying at home with a cough. I've probably had it the guts of a week now, but I've been locked away since Wednesday. I haven't been tested as it's only one symptom, but you start second guessing every twinge and deep breath.
    What annoys me is I was more careful than some, but as I was doing shopping for my grandparents and at one point, my aunt too as she had no car, I guess spending more time around shops where people really were not keeping their distance didn't help. I wiped down every trolley, I used the alcohol gel on my hands, the steering wheel, the keys, my debit card, and the car door handles. When I got home, I disinfected all the shopping and the boot and everything else I touched.
    On the other hand, the family member who has taken over from me doing the shopping for my grandparents, just hands the shopping straight over. I seen them wipe down their door handle, only to open the door again and not wipe it. They have visitors over. I was in the garden during the week and they came over and stood well within 2 metres beside me before I realised they were there. They even picked up something for me from the shop and insisted that they handed to me through the window instead of leaving it at the door. Yet this person hasn't got so much as an itchy nose. They're the only person who could take over from me, but my biggest regret from getting symptoms is that I have to leave my vulnerable grandparents in their hands. It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

A nurse in the Mercy hospital cork (mid 40s) & her husband, both recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I know of 7 personally.
    3 of them in their 80’s, 1 of them picked it up in hospital while in for a different complication, wasn’t tested released home and gave it to the husband and wife next door. All alive but the guy that got it in hospital is still there, he was pretty sick anyway.
    1 in her early 40’s, recovered no idea how she got it
    1 in their 30’s, in isolation no idea how they got it.
    2 of the guys involved in the class action against the ski resort in yesterday’s papers, these guys probably saved a lot as they sent panic through the community early on, people were extremely cautious before it was a thing.

Also know of about 10 more but don’t know those personally, 7 dead all in the one nursing home, 3 working in the same meat factory HSE had to be called in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Don't know anyone here who's had it, but then I don't know that many people and the lockdown means my interactions with others have gone away down.

However, in the place where I live in the UK, one person had it in mid March, fortunately (for me) after I'd left for Limerick. She has recovered though (she's in her early 20s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

YFlyer wrote: »
    Don't know anyone, so fake.

is that you Donald ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fryup wrote: »
    is that you Donald ? ;)

Sadly they're people out there that says it's all fake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In Dublin. Nobody yet thankfully. I've heard tell of people, but neighbourhood whispers, nothing at all concrete and I'd not go by that sorta thing.
    GoneHome wrote: »
    I was thinking the same (and thankfully I'm not in that situation, my folks are in their 70s and in great health) but jesus realistically if your mother or father were in a nursing home with advanced dementia how in the hell could you look after them at home
    It's doable, however you'd need a homecare package in place and various bits and bobs like special chairs and bed if they were immobile, special food if the chewing and swallow is compromised, more stuff on top if there are other chronic health conditions involved, and they usually are. So add in all the meds on top. All things that need time and organisation to get to a point where it is doable and in my personal experience of doing it, things that are built up over time as the disease progresses, rather than all at once, starting tomorrow with someone coming home. Never mind the carer or carers facing a very steep learning curve all at once.

Then you'd have to organise moving the person from the care home to your home. Plus you'd be moving someone who is likely used to the place they are now and have access to 24 hour medical care. A move could upset them mentally and physically regardless of covid19. It must be a terrible time for people in that position, but their loved ones are probably better off left where they are all things considered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

eviltwin wrote: »

So very sorry to hear this

Advertisement