Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike recommendations - budget c.€1,200

Options
  • 25-04-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my current bike

I have Giant Defy 2, Have it for 5/6 years, only did 2k km on it and bike looks as good as new obviously because it wasn't used as much!

I'm thinking to buy Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 which has better gear set (105) than my current one (Tiagra)

https://tinyurl.com/ychurjos

Next step up from endurance AL 7.0 is to either get disc break or go CF and spent extra €400 - €500 which imho not worth for what the bike will be used for.

It will be used for 50 to 100km spin over the weekend only. I don't have any aspiration to win race etc but I will use it more than i used the current one (hopefully).

Questions...

is that a reasonable bike or should i look at something else?

Does the bike come without pedals? I'm looking for flat pedals (not the clip on) but their flat pedals have pins which are for MTB? Any recommendation?

I'm 177cm, Canyon suggests to go for S. Their M starts at 178cm. Chatted with someone on their site and they suggested to go S as I'm at the top end of their S and bottom end of their M. If i go M, I'll be little stretched all the time. I think I've same issue with Defy, their ML starts at 5.11 which is my height and I always felt that I'm little stretched.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Check out ash cycles in the UK. I bought from there off the web a few years ago and it worked out. Good value

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Specialized allez always gets good reviews.
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Allez-Elite-Road-Bike-2020/NVB8

Merida scultura 400 might be another option.

This isn't the best time of year as next years models hasn't been released and there arent much in terms of sales.

If your not using bike to work scheme look at the second hand market.

What's wrong with your current bike that it needs replacing?

In terms of pedals I'd reccomend clipless mtb pedals as you can walk in mtb shoes. Flat pedals with pens are not nice when they end up in your shins + clipless pedals will allow you to cover more distance in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Tony04 wrote: »
    Specialized allez always gets good reviews.
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Allez-Elite-Road-Bike-2020/NVB8

Merida scultura 400 might be another option.

This isn't the best time of year as next years models hasn't been released and there arent much in terms of sales.

If your not using bike to work scheme look at the second hand market.

What's wrong with your current bike that it needs replacing?

In terms of pedals I'd reccomend clipless mtb pedals as you can walk in mtb shoes. Flat pedals with pens are not nice when they end up in your shins + clipless pedals will allow you to cover more distance in the same time.

I will be using B2W and thats the main reason of buying a new one. I am hoping that by putting a couple of hundred, I can get a better bike (nothing wrong with the current one).

Thank you for the recommendations, I didn't think you could put MTB pedals on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, you say your Defy is like new, I'd suggest you consider spending half your budget on a new set of wheels, and see how you get on, it will feel like a new bike, if you want then spend the rest on upgrading the groupset.

The problem with buying a new bike at that budget is you'll end up with a frame and wheels which are not significantly better than what you have and a slightly nicer groupset.

If you like the defy and are comfortable on it already, keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

1200 wont get you more than your Defy offers. If you’re mileage is so low why change, Defy is a great bike.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    OP, you say your Defy is like new, I'd suggest you consider spending half your budget on a new set of wheels, and see how you get on, it will feel like a new bike, if you want then spend the rest on upgrading the groupset.

The problem with buying a new bike at that budget is you'll end up with a frame and wheels which are not significantly better than what you have and a slightly nicer groupset.

If you like the defy and are comfortable on it already, keep it.

I get what you are saying but in net I will spend €200 (not 1,200) to buy a new bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Have you bought on the bike to work scheme before? A €1,200 bike will cost about €700 - not €200 - on the scheme. You'll pay about half on the first thousand quid, and everything that's over one thousand quid.

Have you bought on the bike to work scheme before? A €1,200 bike will cost about €700 - not €200 - on the scheme. You'll pay about half on the first thousand quid, and everything that's over one thousand quid.

Thats' right, and I'll sell my current one for c. €500 (hopefully) thats'y why i said for €200 net I could get a new one which could be with a better gear set and right size.

Imo I dont see the point in buying a similar spec bike to the one you have already have unless its worn out.

I suggest either you use the b2w scheme to spend on parts clothing or accessories that make you ride more.

Or add to your budget and get a carbon or disc bike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tony04 wrote: »
    I suggest either you use the b2w scheme to spend on parts clothing or accessories that make you ride more.
    This isn't allowed under the b2w scheme, a full, new bike must be bought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I tend to agree, after doing this you will have a bike that is on par and no better than the Giant Defy 2.
    Why bother?
    A Defy 2 is probably higher spec than someone who does 2k km in 5 years needs anyway.

my tuppence worth - go out and start using the bike you have to learn what you like or don't like about it, then decide what sort of bike you want.
    it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you might realise you want a gravel bike, for example, and you would want to learn that before you use up the B2W scheme.

I appreciate your opinion. I think my current one is also a one size up than what i should be on. Quick Google tells that i should move the seat forward. I'll try that and see if that makes any difference.

There's an optional position for the seat. I wouldn't change it if it's in a comfortable position. You can use a shorter stem but if you go too short it can make the steering twitchy.

Unfortunately it's much easier to make a frame thats too small fit than it is to get a frame that's to large to fit.

Does it feel uncomfortable? Those guides are only a guideline and won't be correct for everyone.

bbari wrote: »
    I appreciate your opinion. I think my current one is also a one size up than what i should be on. Quick Google tells that i should move the seat forward. I'll try that and see if that makes any difference.

What feels to big about. Do you feel stretch in your legs or do you feel stretch in your arms and torso.

If its your legs your saddles to high.

If it's your arms it's to long from the saddle to the handlebars.

Arms are too stretched that's why i thought perhaps moving the saddle a bit forward will help..

A shorter stem could fix that. Is the current one 100mm? You can get a 90 or 80mm stem for €10 - €20. I wouldn't got any shorter than that though.

A shorter stem could fix that. Is the current one 100mm? You can get a 90 or 80mm stem for €10 - €20. I wouldn't got any shorter than that though.

The current one says 9-10N.m and E:100. I guess its 100mm.

saddle is an easier fix and won't affect the steering (though a stem that's only slightly shorter shouldn't either)

saddle is an easier fix and won't affect the steering (though a stem that's only slightly shorter shouldn't either)

I believe pushing the saddle forward if it is currently in the correct position is a bad idea.
    A slightly shorter stem is a much better solution.

If a slightly shorter stem does not solve it then selling the current bike and buying a smaller frame is the way to go.

• Advertisement

yeah, if the bike is too big, replacing it becomes much more sensible.
    bbari - might be an idea to post a photo of the current saddle position; if it's already reasonably far forward and you feel overstretched, you don't have much wiggle room; it's usually said that it's easy to make a small bike larger than a large bike smaller.

it's usually said that it's easy to make a small bike larger than a large bike smaller.

Exactly and this is because of stem length. A short stem is perfect for a mountain bike but is twitchy so dangerous on a road bike when speeds are much faster. People often prefer a long stem on a road bike as it can help stabilise it but a short one will feel dangerous. 80mm is considered about as short as most are happy to go but it may be enough as 20mm difference will considerably shorten reach.

If your legs arent stretched I'd imagine the frame isnt to small, unless the seatpost barely comes out of the frame.
    Stupid suggestion but make sure your saddle isnt tilted upward also dont go past the max on the saddle rail.

If you reduced your stem from 100mm to 80mm your effectively going down a frame size as frames go up in 2cm sizes.

Saddle pic attached.

FWIW. I'm 176cm, Defy ML starts from 180cm.

That saddle is lower than I like to have it on my bikes. So I'm going to agree that the frame is one size too big.

Edit: I'm 182cm and that's the size frame(M/lL in giant sizing) I would choose for myself. It also looks like you have the saddle angled forward to help reach the bars and that's very bad for your posture.

Definitely a size to big. You could remove the stem spacers but that would mean cutting the fork steerer tube. So you are probably better selling it and getting a new bike.

Also worth noting though that the saddle is positioned fully back on the rails. An easy fix for now to push it forward, there's probably 4cm to play with there. Maybe the saddle is set low precisely because it's pushed fully back.

@OP, there are quite a few videos online about choosing the right saddle height. Maybe worth a watch and experimenting with the bike you have - not that it might affect your decision to change, but you'll go into a new purchase better informed.

Thanks guys.
    @magicbastarder - that's right that there is 4cm to play with there.
    shaveAbullock - I wonder why I always had pain in my back after every spin, I only notice now that the saddle is on an angle.

Given that everyone agrees that its not the right size for me, i'll go ahead with selling. I have €500 offered for the current one and I wasn't accepting it as you had my mind changed to keep the current bike :)

Sounds like the way to go. The bike looks like new so €500 will be a great deal for the new owner but that's also the most you could expect to get for a second hand bike like this. So a good outcome for both seller and buyer.

Apart from a slightly better gearset your new bike will be of much the same standard of quality as the defy 2. That's why I was against the exchange.

But of course now that I know the frame is the wrong size there is no question that you need a new bike.

• Advertisement

Just sold the old bike. Canyon shipping time goes as far as July which isn't good!

bilbot79 suggest Ash Bikes in the UK who has previous years of Giant models, I have narrowed down to 5.

1 - Giant Defy 2 Disc 2016 - £655
    Tiagra with disc breaks

2 - Giant Contend SL 1 Disc 2017 - £900
    105 with disc breaks

3 - Giant Contend SL 1 Disc 2019 - £1,030
    105 with disc breaks, better tyres than the above, not sure about the colour

4 - Giant Defy 0 2014 - £840 Ultegra without disc

5 - Giant Defy Advanced 3 2018
    - £1,200

Tiagra + Disc + Carbon (do i need carbon?)

No.2 Look reasonable and is middle of the range

What do you guys think about this selection and which one would you recommend to someone who will be using it for spin over the weekend? or should i be considering something else?
    I know they are preious years models, thankfully unlike the cars bikes don't have the reg plates. is it just the colour scheme which is different? to me specs look the same year on year?

Advertisement