Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike recommendations - budget c.€1,200

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/ultra-920-af-road-bike-black-en-s178371.html

I got this on the BTW last year and its been great for me. Has plenty of good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Check out ash cycles in the UK. I bought from there off the web a few years ago and it worked out. Good value

As per their phone message they are shipping orders but they aren't replying their emails so not sure how to get hold of 'em.

Any other suggestion guys ?

deconduo wrote: »
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/ultra-920-af-road-bike-black-en-s178371.html

I got this on the BTW last year and its been great for me. Has plenty of good reviews.

Yes, reviews looks good.
    The only -ve they have is weight, perhaps that applies to racers. Some -ve reviews about tyres which you can change easily, did you get many punctures?

Did you buy that from that site? Does it come with pedals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The higher end decathlon often get good reviews, often are good value for money and you can use b2w scheme with them, which might be a diffuculty with other online retailers.
    Although the specalized allez which would have a similar spec retails for a similar price and youd have the advantage of buying that from a bike shop, that might be more knowledgeable than decathlon.
    Your looking for a rim brake bike with 11 speeds?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

bbari wrote: »
    Yes, reviews looks good.
    The only -ve they have is weight, perhaps that applies to racers. Some -ve reviews about tyres which you can change easily, did you get many punctures?

Did you buy that from that site? Does it come with pedals ?
    • I've no problems with the weight, the last bike I had was something like 15kg so 8kg feels like a feather in comparison.
    • No issues with punctures so far.
    • Bought from Decathlon, but was through email/phone calls rather than on the website to get the bike to work stuff sorted
    • Came with simple pedals.
    • They delivered it my door assembled and ready to go, was a great service

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    The higher end decathlon often get good reviews, often are good value for money and you can use b2w scheme with them, which might be a diffuculty with other online retailers.
    Although the specalized allez which would have a similar spec retails for a similar price and youd have the advantage of buying that from a bike shop, that might be more knowledgeable than decathlon.
    Your looking for a rim brake bike with 11 speeds?

Allez comes with Tiagra/105 when the B'Twin is Ultegra.

B2W won't be a problem as I can use company card to pay for the full price and pay back the company the amoune over 1k.

Yes, I'm ok with rim breaks. Not sure what 11 speed means :) but something like whats on Giant Defy bikes is fine.

deconduo wrote: »
    • I've no problems with the weight, the last bike I had was something like 15kg so 8kg feels like a feather in comparison.
    • No issues with punctures so far.
    • Bought from Decathlon, but was through email/phone calls rather than on the website to get the bike to work stuff sorted
    • Came with simple pedals.
    • They delivered it my door assembled and ready to go, was a great service

Thanks for that, I've sent 'em a message from their web form but haven't heard back yet.
    Was the price always €1,200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I always hear good thing about decathlon and I don't think they use proprietary parts which is is great. It means if you ever have a problem any bike shop can fix it.

I'm just reccomending the allez because I see it around alot and has got good reviews. While it may not have ultegra 105 and the other parts it has offers all the same functions but it is slightly heavier, it is 11 speeds meaning there are 11 gears on the cassette on the wheel. While the components mighnt be as good the frame might have a better warranty and is probably better made than the decathlon one and that's why it does well in the reviews.

You should also take a look at ribble cycles the British version of canyon and they offer even better value for money.

Take a look at this review also https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-road-bike-under-1000/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The defy advanced 3 will be a very comfortable bike compared to pure racers, carbon to dampen road vibrations and with hydraulic disk brakes for better stopping. 32cc tires also.

The pedals you need are spd pedals with mountain bike shoes. I have a shimano pair that I got new for €60. Very comfortable and you can walk around in them. I got shimano double sided pedals too,I think they were €60 also. One side has the spd clip in and the other is a normal pedal. Dead handy and can go on any bike.

The difference in cycling clipped in to normal pedals is night and day. My feet would slip on standard pedals in the wet. Not an issue any more.

• Advertisement

You should also take a look at ribble cycles the British version of canyon and they offer even better value for money.

Take a look at this review also https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-road-bike-under-1000/

Ribble are very different from Canyon.
    Ribble find frames in China that they like and pay for exclusive rights to that frame. Canyon design their own frame.

Not saying one company is better than the other just they are very different.

I got hold of Ash Cycles who won't ship to Ireland. The advantage of buying from those guys was to buy couple of yrs old model at discounted price so that option is gone. Canyon delivery time goes up to the end of July, so this rules out what I'd originally planned to buy.

I managed to speak with a very helpful person in Decathlon and have two options

1 - B'Twin - BLACK - €1,200

2 - VAN RYSEL - WHITE/BLACK - €1,300

The only difference I can see is the wheels, 1st one has Mavic and the 2nd one has Falcrum. Both are in stock and ready to be shipped fully assembled.

Decision time!:confused:

The btwin has a nicer frameset with internal cable routing that's the only major difference I can see they're similar weight and same spec even wheels are different brands.

Yes, I noticed afterwards that on B'Twin the cabling is internal plus saddle, wheels and tyres are different. it is B'Twin so! Thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may end up cursing the internal routing if you've plans to do your own maintenance.

Just logged on to order and they are sold out. Grrrrr!

How do you decide the size if you are in the middle or two sizes?

Canyon asks two questions to recommend the size
    Height: 177cm
    inseam: 86cm

Endurace AL 7.0

I am right in the middle point of S (172-177cm) and M (177-182cm). Their online calculator suggests S for 177cm and M for 178cm so 1cm changes the size.

Not something I'd want to get wrong as i been there before. one of their chat agents suggested S and other one suggested M! is either of the sizes ok?

Endurace AL 7.0

I am right in the middle point of S (172-177cm) and M (177-182cm). Their online calculator suggests S for 177cm and M for 178cm so 1cm changes the size.

Not something I'd want to get wrong as i been there before. one of their chat agents suggested S and other one suggested M! is either of the sizes ok?

Consider your arm length if your arms are relatively long the larger frame would suit and vice versa.

Also while your at it have a look at merlin cycles not sure if they're eligible for b2w scheme, but have some really good value bikes around your budget and it's worth the shot.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-gtr-team-105-mix-road-bike-170331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Endurace AL 7.0

I'm 1cm taller than you but have a shorter inseam so also right between the two. I spoke to them by phone as I was considering ordering a new bike and they said go for the M. I've ridden the Ultimate in M before for a few weeks and had no issues with the fit - never had a professional bike fit done on it though

Consider your arm length if your arms are relatively long the larger frame would suit and vice versa.

Also while your at it have a look at merlin cycles not sure if they're eligible for b2w scheme, but have some really good value bikes around your budget and it's worth the shot.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-gtr-team-105-mix-road-bike-170331.html

I think my arm length would be normal, just going by shirt shopping, never bought extra long sleeve :)

Thank you re the bike suggestion, I saw that yesterday. Would you consider this better than the Canyon? Although its carbon, Canyon alloy is lighter than this. I was also considering Endurance 6.0 as i'm not how much difference 105 will make compared to Tiagra and 6.0 is available 4 wks earlier. I don't want to rush either and want to get something which I'ld like the looks of as well. I really like that Willer bike in the red colour, pity its not in stock. Bikes are hot ticket stuff these days.

• Advertisement

I'm 1cm taller than you but have a shorter inseam so also right between the two. I spoke to them by phone as I was considering ordering a new bike and they said go for the M. I've ridden the Ultimate in M before for a few weeks and had no issues with the fit - never had a professional bike fit done on it though

One of the chat agents said if you are bottom of a size then go one size down. If you have tested the M and comfy with it then you are fine i guess. Being 1cm taller is nothing so I guess M should suit me too. Their sizing for Ultimate and Endurance is the same.

I have a Canyon in M (SLX model) and I'm 182cm tall. I needed to exchange the 100cm stem to 110 for a perfect fit.

I have a Canyon in M (SLX model) and I'm 182cm tall. I needed to exchange the 100cm stem to 110 for a perfect fit.

You were in the middle of M and L. With that in mind should a 177cm person not go for S?

I think my arm length would be normal, just going by shirt shopping, never bought extra long sleeve :)

Thank you re the bike suggestion, I saw that yesterday. Would you consider this better than the Canyon? Although its carbon, Canyon alloy is lighter than this. I was also considering Endurance 6.0 as i'm not how much difference 105 will make compared to Tiagra and 6.0 is available 4 wks earlier. I don't want to rush either and want to get something which I'ld like the looks of as well. I really like that Willer bike in the red colour, pity its not in stock. Bikes are hot ticket stuff these days.
    The 200g 300g difference in weight is probably in the wheels to be fair. The frames are probably the same weight, the willier frame would probably be that bit sturdier. The advantage of aluminum is it can take alot of bashing, good for mtb, downside is it fatigues. Imo bright color schemes attract attention from potential thiefs so I'd would always try and go for something dark. Problem with a 10 speed road bike is the cassete fits on to a smaller freehub on the wheel so if you ever want to upgrade to 11 speed it can be quite costly.

I noticed between the two sizes that theres quite a jump in stack height how high your handlebars are so a medium frame might offer a more relaxed position.

From Canyon website

What should I do if I am between two sizes?

First, check if you can achieve your required seat height with both possible frame sizes. If you can, then you can pick between the sizes according to your riding style and personal preference: The bike with the smaller frame will be lower and shorter, giving you a more compact position on the bike. The bike will be nimble, agile, and more lively underneath you. If you choose the larger frame, you will be more stretched over the bike because it will be longer and higher. This results in a more stable ride and more speed when riding in a straight line.

Do you have the year and exact model of your old bike? A quick google search for most bikes should show it archived somewhere from that you can get the geometry. You could compare the geometry of your old bike to the canyon to determine size.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

his old bike was too big for him.

his old bike was too big for him.

Exactly so he can use it as a comparison to see what's too big.

Side by side comparison of two brands / two sizes. I'd Giant M/L which everyone agreed that it was too big

Screenshot-2020-05-03-at-00-00-13.png

• Advertisement

Side by side comparison of two brands / two sizes. I'd Giant M/L which everyone agreed that it was too big

Screenshot-2020-05-03-at-00-00-13.png
    So assuming the defy m would be the perfect fit. The two measurements we now have is top tube and seat tube, stack would be a better measurement but the defy doesnt have that.

Defy m has a similar top tube to canyon m. But has the same seat tube as canyon s. Therefore canyon m might be a tad to big as the they have deliberately given you a shorter top tube for a more upright position. At the same time the size s has a lower stack height and is that bit shorter so you going be in a more aggressive bent over position. Imo small with extra 10m stem length would be the best fit.

Advertisement