Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher Werewolf - GAMETHREAD

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Emily WW

Well done villagers

Thanks mods, really enjoyed the game.

Nice last play Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

boards names|Anon Account|Character|team
    Green&Red |Angus WW|Geralt|v
    Strawberry |Conor WW|NRV|v
    MacDanger |Emily WW|Dara App|v
    Molly |Gabriel WW|Triss Merigold|v
    Ladyskunk |Gertrude WW|NRV|v
    Grumpy |Holly WW|King Foltest|v
    Duffman |Orla WW|NRV|v
    |
    Necro (I)| Frank WW|NRV|v
    Flushy |Lucy WW|NRV|v
    Whiplashy| Abigail WW|NRV|v
    Trit|nigel WW|Striga|m
    Khalessi |Jake WW|Fringilla vigo|n
    Fixxxer |Derry WW|Yen|v
    Ecto |Patrick WW|NRV|v
    Reberetta |Liam WW|NRV|v
    Barney |Barbara WW|Black Knight|n
    Yosser|vernon WW|Ciri|v
    Hello2D |Phil WW|Jaskier|v
    Drumpot |Eva WW|Kikimora|m
    Necro (II)| Ewan WW|Doppler|n

You're going to have Necro bias from now on, it's a real illness :p

Well done everyone again, the way all the powers and everything were used and Orla coming out with that fake arrow was brilliant. Such a fun game :D

Yeah...that happened didn't it? Great one Orla :pac: Mad aul day, both Eva and Ewan doing their best to entertain the thread was a spectacle.

I just want to say when the game is fresh in memory...I hope this game proves that NRVs are not useless and are not just there to get munched/lynched in place of RVs. Some great NRV plays and performances in this game, as well as RVs - Seer peeked wolves, Vig found one himself and dealt with it, the Bard couldn't have played the role better, the BG protected the seer from being bitten n1, Ciri got a timely Eva reveal out just before getting munched, very impressive village effort and congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

sKeith wrote: »
    boards names Anon Account Character team
    Green&Red Angus WW Geralt v
    Strawberry Conor WW NRV v
    MacDanger Emily WW Dara App v
    Molly Gabriel WW Triss Merigold v
    Ladyskunk Gertrude WW NRV v
    Grumpy Holly WW King Foltest v
    Duffman Orla WW NRV v

Tusk Ewan WW Doppler n
    Necro Frank WW NRV v
    Flushy Lucy WW NRV v
    Whiplashy Abigail WW NRV v
    Trit Nigel WW Striga m
    Khalessi Jake WW Fringilla Vigo n
    Fixxxer Derry WW Yen v
    Ecto Patrick WW NRV v
    Reberetta Liam WW NRV v
    Barney Barbara WW Black Knight n
    Yosser Vernon WW Ciri v
    Hello2D Phil WW Jaskier v
    Drumpot Eva WW Kikimora m

i'm nominating phil/H2D as MVP. played his role to a tee, I justed wanted a place on that council table!

I've rarely been a RV (look at my slip in the last game), but it gives you a certain feeling of invulnerability (at lynch time). if you're for the chop you simply declare.

ewan/tusk, thats prob what did it for you.

did we have many new players this game?

barbara/barney, the wagonimics were always against you.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Ewan WW

Well.....

Ewan began life as tusk but ended as a Necro head :P

• Advertisement

and apologis for my boring as **** backroom

i'm nominating phil/H2D as MVP. played his role to a tee, I justed wanted a place on that council table!

I've rarely been a RV (look at my slip in the last game), but it gives you a certain feeling of invulnerability (at lynch time). if you're for the chop you simply declare.

ewan/tusk, thats prob what did it for you.

did we have many new players this game?

barbara/barney, the wagonimics were always against you.
    Ewan WW wrote: »
    Well.....

Fixed the table.

Ewan WW wrote: »
    Well.....

twas my guess alright. from the backroom:

who's ewan? like his music taste. i'd say he's in the cover song thread. a thread i've been ignoring all week

Have a guess

hardly necro gone in as a sub?

right about something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Holly I don't know why you it but thank you for that protect!

Brilliant game, thanks for that mods. A real relief from this lockdown stress. Eva had me in stitches with her disguises.

For the record, I prefer being an NRV to a seer ;)

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Phil WW

I keep my H2D account blocked from posting in here but a quick fair ****s to everyone, thoroughly enjoyed that game.

Considering I almost pulled out a day or two before it started, twasn't a bad auld few days.

• Advertisement
  • Forum Games Player Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Phil WW

duffman13 wrote: »
    Orla checked out and back to factory settings

Mighty stuff, Duffer.

I was a bit :( when I peeked an NRV but worked out well :D. Probably the strongest villager and the wolves weren't going to waste a munch on ya.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote: »
    Fixed the table.

How does this one work for the stats now, do I get a win and a loss on my record:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok can Jake please come out with an example of their other re-written songs now? I'm still waiting to hear one of them. The most amazing claim I've ever seen in a game and I'm praying it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Ok can Jake please come out with an example of their other re-written songs now? I'm still waiting to hear one of them. The most amazing claim I've ever seen in a game and I'm praying it's real.

When I saw that I thought I hope Jake does have a few songs up his sleeve, otherwise he's in trouble.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Orla WW

Phil WW wrote: »
    Mighty stuff, Duffer.

I was a bit :( when I peeked an NRV but worked out well :D. Probably the strongest villager and the wolves weren't going to waste a munch on ya.

I was full sure you were a wolf on day 1, then I stopped and read your lies and counted three. I was like eh.... Oops! :D Genuinely enjoyed that from start to finish. Your King of the Castle stuff must have been infuriating to the wolves. Played it perfectly, fair play!

We need a wolfy award for best entertainment -

Phil in the whole game

Eva when found out.

There were a good few one liners too! Im off to read the BRs now! I rarely do it after a game but well.... Withdrawal is kickin in already :eek:

Again thanks mods

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Orla WW wrote: »
    I was full sure you were a wolf on day 1, then I stopped and read your lies and counted three. I was like eh.... Oops! :D Genuinely enjoyed that from start to finish. Your King of the Castle stuff must have been infuriating to the wolves. Played it perfectly, fair play!

We need a wolfy award for best entertainment -

Phil in the whole game

Eva when found out.

There were a good few one liners too! Im off to read the BRs now! I rarely do it after a game but well.... Withdrawal is kickin in already :eek:

Again thanks mods

And after the game I slipped and posted in my anon account :rolleyes: Love a slip I do

Cant get into the backrooms, reset password isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Surely as Yen you should hae foreseen that?

khalessi wrote: »
    Surely as Yen you should hae foreseen that?

tenor.gif

Necro wrote: »
    How does this one work for the stats now, do I get a win and a loss on my record:pac:
    Depends if you want to record your villager game or your wolf game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote:
    Depends if you want to record your villager game or your wolf game.

Hmmm. Probably should go with what the rand gave me rather than subbing in methinks. But up to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That was fun, well played village.

Sorry for not posting much until you caught me. Was an unintended strategy that sort of took a life on its own. Wasn’t sleeping great (have sleep apnea and regularly get bad sleep) early week and head struggled to keep up. You know when you read posts and barely a few mins later you have forgotten what’s on them!

Great game mods, relatively straight forward and your App seer facilitated Phil in having a great laugh and making the role his own which was prob the highlight for me. I wanted to kill Phil and I didn’t want to kill him! :pac:

TWW was a fun experience to mod and watch unfold, even when it became apparent on d4 that the game was all but over. Some of my own thoughts...

There were 2 things we weren't going to do - 1) Keep players fighting/playing a 100% futile cause, and 2) A rebalance on d3 or d4. Even if we were to quietly do a rebalance of sorts, we could have narrowed down that wolf prize selection on d4 to a poison or a 3 bullet gun or something murderous and give the village a fluffy banana for their prize, but no we kept the prize selection as it was.

The village turned out to be powerful here. In my last mod, Deadwood, the village had even more roles in that game and some of them were eliminated early or some of their mechanics never came to fruition. That game had a wolf win. In TWW, a lot of the village's mechanical outcomes came to pass - Ciri lived to find Geralt and gain access to Yen's backroom for example and the village pretty much reached its full potential which doesn't happen in every long game. Also, there are games where you can opine 'stoopid village', but this was definitely not one of them. This village worked well together and hard too, NRVs and all. Tremendous effort and well-deserved win. That's not to say the wolves didn't work hard too, all 5 of them made great participation and some nice moves. That Monday lynch and the wagonomics was just too much to shake off for the Nilfs in the end though.

Yes, perhaps the Geralt role was overkill in the OP although he only had 1 action available per day. He didn't even get a chance to use his Igni magic power because he had that much else going on. Still, it had no effect on the game outcome, as the powers Geralt did use in the game weren't used at the point that it got to overkill. Geralt took out Nigel/Striga with his first sword hit in the game. Even in a 'non overkill' Geralt role...our Vig would still have had a daily kill attempt and that Nigel kill would have happened. And Liam, and Eva too.

Geralt wasn't unkillable, and off the top of my head there were a couple of nights the wolves could have gotten at him because there was no protection in place from Geralt or the BG. No one actually put in a munch order on Angus, even after the reveal. That is the wolves' decision to make of course, but Geralt was powerful yet killable.

A purge of NRVs happened from n0 to d3, and that brought on the potential of a mass reveal solving the game. Once we still had some NRVs in there though like Gertrude, Orla and Conor, we were still okay on d4. Harsh for the wolves that they were beaten well in the end, but one of my all-time favourite WW experiences was the BTTF game. In that, I was a wolf and we were fairly scuppered from midgame onward by a village who became strong and who inevitably narrowed us down one by one. I was lone losing wolf in the end, but it still was one of my best, most fun experiences in WW. I hope our wolves in TWW got some joy.

Also, I came into this game off the back of one where I won as lone surviving wolf who honestly thought we were fúcked and had no chance of a win from d3 onward, and I'm sure that played a factor in the final version and balance of TWW. I'm not the best player, but if I could win in that scenario, well then I felt there was always a chance for Eva and Ewan going into d4 in this game.

Effectively though, the peek of Eva/Kikimora and the thread reveal of that info started to really bring it to an inevitable village win. Village reduced the kill-rate against them by 1/2 with that. Still though, Ewan was in there with his Doppler Seer shield and a prize, there was still uncertainty with some in the village over who that last wolf was. It became the longest of shots for Ewan of course, but it made for a fun and musical conclusion on Thursday evening. I believe we had 14 viewers and completely smashed the Nielsen ratings.

Lynch Thread: Ok, the original point of a lynch thread and not the Google lynch form was that I didn't want to inflict even more infrastructure work on Keith late on :pac: But I'm really happy with the way it played out and I think it's the way to go for my next game.

2 wolf teams rather than 1 wolf team plus SK: I've only been a wolf a few times. I like it, but one of the things that does suck is that it is hard to make valid cases against players who you know aren't wolves. All the more so if a lone SK is killed early on. So in this game the idea of two wolf teams was not just for the craic, but to offer bad players the chance to make genuine cases against other bads. We could have went with 4 wolves and 1 SK like Deadwood, but felt 3:3 would be a good change for this kind of game and theme.

The original draft of the TWW planned for about 22-24 players with 2 wolf teams of 3 members each. When it was looking like we were only going to have 18 sign-ups, we rebalanced some things and that included having 2 wolf teams of just 2 members each. Then we had 2 late sign-ups to bring us to 20 players. Not quite enough in our opinion to bring the wolf teams back to 3:3, so we gave the Nilfs their 3rd member and made both of the Monsters 'formidable opponents'. As it went though, even though the Nilfs had an extra member, Monsters still lived until the same day in the end.

Auto-priest: I haven't played a whole lot of games since the start of 2019 myself, but from what I've played it seems that AP is now the popular choice for games in the forum. However, for future games I mod, I will consider carefully the Priest/AP aspect of WW, maybe even explore other possibilities. I like the gamethread getting nuggets of info to undertake their investigations, so AP is a good choice in that respect, but I will have to consider in future that AP does pretty much cut off a viable and fun wolf/SK strategy: Fake claims. Also, AP takes out the potential to have a Priest and App Priest in the role roster, it cuts out the possibility of offering Priest info as a prize in games, and I do like prizes. So, to AP or not to AP? That is the question.

App RV rather than one specific App Seer/Vig/BG: Hmm, is this maybe too much for wolves to have to overcome in games? In The Stand, I "yahooed" when the Vig was taken out, but quickly reminded by a fellow wolf that the App RV slotted straight into the Vig role. Then in TWW, when the wolves managed to remove Seer, it didn't really matter because there was a new Seer via the App RV. For my own thinking, the Apprentice role will have to be considered more carefully for my next game. We had no Apprentice role in Deadwood at all, then had App RV in this game which proved to be very important to the outcome. Maybe a specific App role will be the way to go next, rather than an all-encompassing App RV.

That's about all off the top of my head, but finally thanks to sKeith and Perse for invaluable input and work on this game. It was another fun mod experience for me, and that coupled with the participation of the players is perfect sauce to get me looking forward to my next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Auto-priest: I haven't played a whole lot of games since the start of 2019 myself, but from what I've played it seems that AP is now the popular choice for games in the forum. However, for future games I mod, I will consider carefully the Priest/AP aspect of WW, maybe even explore other possibilities. I like the gamethread getting nuggets of info to undertake their investigations, so AP is a good choice in that respect, but I will have to consider in future that AP does pretty much cut off a viable and fun wolf/SK strategy: Fake claims. Also, AP takes out the potential to have a Priest and App Priest in the role roster, it cuts out the possibility of offering Priest info as a prize in games, and I do like prizes. So, to AP or not to AP? That is the question.

Great Post, having modded a couple of times now I'd agree with pretty much everything you've said particularly the priest role. Its become underused lately I think. Its a great tool for role claims for wolves and gives some outrageous opportunities to spin a yarn.

I really enjoyed the game, as an NRV that isn't always the case! Village worked well and wagonomics were difficult to get away from for the wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

That was my second game of Werewolf and my first overnight complex one involving role-playing, spells, bites, seers. bards etc. Some of you may have noticed that I basically just winged it!:D

After browsing the backroom, which I had assumed was just a chatroom rather than a large hidden forum of plotting, planning, strategy, method and ideas, I've come to realise how much work goes into Werewolf around here; as well as how seriously some of you take it!

I think my favourite quote from the backroom comes from Gabriel aka Triss Merigold aka Molly:
    WTF is happening with Liam? Is he joking or has he completely lost his mind?

Don't worry, I was joking (mostly) and what marbles I had are still in my possession. Alas, I did such a good wolf impression as a villager that Geralt decided to murder me!:mad:

In the future I will put as much thought into Werewolf as others do and I resolve to be more of a valuable asset to whatever team I am; more focused on my assigned role; more rational, sensible, tactical and strategic.*

Thanks Stu, sKeith and Persepoly, 'twas fun! :)

Oh and sorry Holly!

*I may not adhere to this promise.

Advertisement