Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of car for newly qualified young driver

Options
  • 26-04-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Is there a guide as to the age of car that insurance companies will consider favourable for a new driver? My gut tells me no older than 10 years old but I may be wrong. Does anyone have experience of getting first insurance on a car for new driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As new as possible but its the car type rather than the age that is the primary driver for pricing young / novice drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ive recently been pricing insurance for new drivers as im trying to get insurance myself. I was told my several insurance companies that they wont insure a new driver on a car older than 10 years. The newer the car the more the insurance cost goes down, albeit it's still a colossal amount for new drivers.
    They also said the car should be a 1ltr - 1.2ltr at the most.

Advertisement