Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to find information about flood risk?

Options
  • 26-04-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

If you were looking at a property and wanted to find out if it's susceptible to flooding, where would you look?

http://www.floodinfo.ie/ has some information but I am aware of well publicized flooding events that are not shown on that site - like a whole street of flooded homes. I think it's just showing river and coastal flooding and not capturing deluge events?

I was thinking i could ask the EA, but would they have to tell the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

BluePlanet wrote:
    If you were looking at a property and wanted to find out if it's susceptible to flooding, where would you look?

Ask the locals someone who has lived in the area a long time is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

BluePlanet wrote: »

http://www.floodinfo.ie/ has some information but I am aware of well publicized flooding events that are not shown on that site - like a whole street of flooded homes. I think it's just showing river and coastal flooding and not capturing deluge events?

A delgue event usually involves a blocked drain somewhere which is unlucky and could happen anywhere to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

You can use this link to find out planning permission and the documents uploaded there include the site plan, and various other details including flood risk assessment. This might just be limited to Dublin county.
    https://sdublincoco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=004b5a1a557a4c1a91b4629923f9d4b7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

There's Google maps , look for proximity to river water flow. Usually urban flooding is caused by either proximity to a river or sometimes underground pipes carrying drainage water blocking. The solwise elevation tool is useful to see the lay of the land so to speak . If your in a dip relative to surrounds there could be trouble.

insurers have geomapping data eircode specific so get a quote with all insurers to see if they will cover the eircode.

Also don't forget the house , sometimes they have raised floors and steps in , if so this is a positive

You can ask for a solicitor warrant at contract stage that seller says property has never flooded and ask estate agent would the seller be prepared to give that. Persumably you couldnsue them later if they lied.

Apart from flooding don't forget rising dampe on properties with high ground water tables which you can check from septic tank bore hole tests on planning permission.Check the walls are dry and paint clean on this and surrounding properties. If not look into more detail. Surveyors can measure water content of walls etc inside.

Post or pm a link to the property and il have a look . I'm kind of an expert at this stage after in detail analysing one I'm buying. Your right to be cautious I'd be a lot more worried about flooding rendering a home worthless long term than Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Might sound basic but I searched the area name with the word flood for news articles and came a across a few that scared me off a place last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The easiest way to find out about any issues is to check planning permissions in the general area.

Look at the objections and see what they give as reasons.

But try to ignore the nimby comments / objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

BluePlanet wrote: »

There is a "past flood event" tab on www.floodinfo.ie which is good and has all floods of record reports including photos. This includes stormwater/surface water flood events which is what you are looking for when you describe a deluge event.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 memoirs

I used this global one I saw mentioned in the news recently from Climate Central, it forecasts forward to 2050 and you can zoom in on the Google Map interface and play with the settings/year/water table/elevation. Search your location and zoom into it: https://coastal.climatecentral.org/

Advertisement