Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cumh and Private Health Insurance

Options
  • 26-04-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi my wife is due on next month and she is on public care.She has a medical insurance covering maternity.Can she get a private room after birth.The insurance covers 3 nights private room at a public hospital.
    Can she get that. If not, where will she and baby gets shifted after birth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If she’s public she can’t request a private room. That 3 nights in a private room would be if she was under a private consultant.

In CUMH, they have 4 person, 2 person and private rooms and where she ends up depends on the hospital capacity at the time. I’ve been in a 2 person room for both babies. The second time was a month ago and I was in the room by myself for the night (I was only in for the one night).

Hi my wife is due on next month and she is on public care.She has a medical insurance covering maternity.Can she get a private room after birth.The insurance covers 3 nights private room at a public hospital.

Ask her to contact the insurance company to see what she can expect during this period.

Most insurance companies are currently returning 40-60% or premium back to customers as the HSE has taken over most private hospitals.
    They might not be able to guarantee a private room but I am very sure that they will take utmost care to ensure that she and the baby are safe this period.

Wishing you and your wife all the best as you welcome your new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

No. The private rooms are kept for private patients and isolation patients, regardless of the insurance the public patients have.

jlm29 wrote: »
    No. The private rooms are kept for private patients and isolation patients, regardless of the insurance the public patients have.

I think he wants the wife to go in as a private patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

emulsifier wrote: »

A private patient is a patient who is paying a consultant for private ante natal care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Unless your wife has been attending their consultant privately and paid their private fees she won’t be admitted as a private patient when giving birth. She still maybe lucky at the time and get a private room but she won’t be considered a private patient. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s a bit late for that I’d say. From what I’ve heard it can be quite difficult to book in with a consultant when you find out your pregnant. Their patient quota would be more than full at this stage if she’s due next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That’s my point. She can’t, because she hasn’t been private antenatally.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

CUMH is quite a modern hospital with no large wards, meaning the biggest room she is likely to be in will have 4 occupants, most of my friends who went public were in 2 person rooms.

As a number of other posters have said, there is no guarantee of a private room, even if you are under a private consultant - it depends on capacity & other patients, therefore any patients who need isolation or have more complex needs would get priority, even over a private patient.

I also have private healthcare & am going through CUMH - but as I am not going privately under a private consultant (which you have to pay out of pocket & reclaim) I would be considered a public patient, irrespective of my general hospital cover.

Another thing to bear in mind - with the current visitor restrictions in place (which includes Dad's) it may be nice for her to be in a room with another Mum, for the company, rather than being alone in a private room.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Health insurance only covers 3 nights private room if she has been going private antentally. She wont get a private room now. She'll be placed in a public ward. As far as I'm.aware most maternity hospitals are putting half the amount of women in wards to ensure social distancing so it wont be that busy.

Some maternity hospitals are keeping private rooms for any potential covid patients so even going through private care is no guarantee of a private room.

Is she in the private Covid19 Mammies to be Ireland FB group? A good few women have positive stories there of giving birth in CUMH in the last week or so. Might help if she's worried about the type of care she'll receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Davidmoss001

zapper55 wrote: »
    Health insurance only covers 3 nights private room if she has been going private antentally. She wont get a private room now. She'll be placed in a public ward. As far as I'm.aware most maternity hospitals are putting half the amount of women in wards to ensure social distancing so it wont be that busy.

Some maternity hospitals are keeping private rooms for any potential covid patients so even going through private care is no guarantee of a private room.

Is she in the private Covid19 Mammies to be Ireland FB group? A good few women have positive stories there of giving birth in CUMH in the last week or so. Might help if she's worried about the type of care she'll receive.

No shes not there.. I will tell her to join.. Thanks

Advertisement