Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take up Fireplace Flagstone Hearth

Options
  • 26-04-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, I was hoping to take up a flagstone (pic attached) that was put down with Tile Adhesive. I am wondering if there is a way to take this up without breaking it up into pieces. Could there be a type of wire saw that could be used to cut through underneath ?
    Thanks for any advice given!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

Attaching pic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is it recessed into the fireplace, bucket in the way, too far back with picture?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Stick a shovel in under it and pry it up

is it recessed into the fireplace, bucket in the way, too far back with picture?

No it's not recessed into fireplace. Its sitting in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Nail bar . Big flathead and hammer to get a hole into the adhesive underneath so the nail bar can get under and pry it up.

Last couple I have taken up haven’t really been attached that strongly.

• Advertisement

Stick a shovel in under it and pry it up

Shovel wont do it. Serious weight plus put down with adhesive.
    Would really need some type of wire saw if there was such a thing to get it out.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Nail bar . Big flathead and hammer to get a hole into the adhesive underneath so the nail bar can get under and pry it up.

Last couple I have taken up haven’t really been attached that strongly.

Can try that but the thing is trying to do it and not damage floor underneath. Its sitting on sand and cement floor with underfloor heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Don't overvalue it in terms of cost or reuse potential. Cut /polished stone is a fairly cheap commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

if the skirting board is overlapping it, you may need to remove it first.

Me, I'd probably go at it from the back with a bolster and lump hammer - you should be able to get a bolster under it pretty easily.

Advertisement