Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With all this corona virus stuff going on, does anyone smell an invasion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

I was hoping this thread was going to be some "War of the Worlds" type effort.

Disappointed. I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

mulbot wrote: »
    Maybe slightly off topic but a good documentary regarding the power of media etc is one called"the century of the self"

People have no idea the power of media, the information they choose to give, how it's portrayed, in what order it's given in is actually what forms your opinions, it's not your mind that forms it unless you really want to passively form an opinion.

cj maxx wrote: »
    You mean when your supposed to be watching cartoon network, when you flick over to adult stations you're parents can hear?

Buddy, go back to "entertaining" things like gossip about Kim Jong Un

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Christ! Who opened the gates of the asylums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Moved to the conspiracy theories forum. Read the local charter before posting.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Christ! Who opened the gates of the asylums?

Should you not be out getting your face mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was hoping this thread was going to be some "War of the Worlds" type effort.

Disappointed. I'll see myself out.

That was my first thought, 👽 aliens .
    Like you, very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Adam9213 wrote: »
    Buddy, go back to "entertaining" things like gossip about Kim Jong Un

Ok pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm probably out of touch with the average human being of today's world, .

You don't say?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You don't say?

I'll gladly say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Should you not be out getting your face mask?
    I'll gladly say it.

Mod

This thread is no longer in After Hours. Can you try & treat your own thread a bit more seriously.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

This thread is no longer in After Hours. Can you try & treat your own thread a bit more seriously.

With serious replies yes I will and do already.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

So to kick it off, who are you expecting to invade & where will they do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭storker

Larbre34 wrote: »
    By whom? On whom? The Russians have enough money to sustain a campaign, anywhere, for about 7 minutes. How can the Chinese suppose to rebuild their economy without Western purchasing power?

I assume he means that US and British forces will invade <somewhere> and take advantage of the fact that (a) everyone is preoccupied with the Coronavirus and (b) the restrictions mean there can't be any mass protest about said invasion when it happens.

I'm not sure if he's saying that the virus crisis (now there's a new band name :)) has been engineered/faked with this in mind, or whether it's just a convenient smoke screen that's crying out to be taken advantage of.

The first option would be beyond ridiculous. The second is a more interesting idea, especially given the current tenant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

storker wrote: »
    I assume he means that US and British forces will invade <somewhere> and take advantage of the fact that (a) everyone is preoccupied with the Coronavirus and (b) the restrictions mean there can't be any mass protest about said invasion when it happens.

I'm not sure if he's saying that the virus crisis (now there's a new band name :)) has been engineered/faked with this in mind, or whether it's just a convenient smoke screen that's crying out to be taken advantage of.

The first option would be beyond ridiculous. The second is a more interesting idea, especially given the current tenant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Man you don't belong on this site you actually seem to have some kind of grasp on what I was getting at but yeah you pretty much got it bang on, I think it was pretty clear cut what I was getting at but maybe that's what people thought was crazy, even though stuff along the same lines as this are always used for every US\UK invasion in the last 20 years.

It was basically half a joke with some meaning behind it.

A good example is what I wrote earlier about Gaddafi and the sex dungeon story that was made up about him, it was a smoke screen, people were more interested in that story than the air strikes that killed a bunch of civilians and the war that was killing so many people.

I can guarantee the people who complain about "conspiracy theories" didn't think twice about that sex dungeon story.

Man you don't belong on this site you actually seem to have some kind of grasp on what I was getting at but yeah you pretty much got it bang on, I think it was pretty clear cut what I was getting at

Thank you...I think...but ease up on the kudos...actually I first read it as meaning an invasion of Ireland. When you mentioned depth I was going to post something dismissive but thought it better to read the original post again first. Then I got it.
    A good example is what I wrote earlier about Gaddafi and the sex dungeon story that was made up about him, it was a smoke screen, people were more interested in that story than the air strikes that killed a bunch of civilians and the war that was killing so many people. I can guarantee the people who complain about "conspiracy theories" didn't think twice about that sex dungeon story.

I don't remember that, but for some reason I also don't remember, I didn't pay much attention to what was happening in Libya then. I do tend to be dismissive of conspiracy theories in the absence of solid evidence, and I've seen too many quotes taken out of context, over-long YouTube videos that don't do anything like was said on the tin and lots of innuendo presented as incontrovertible fact to be impressed by them, so my default response is an eye-roll, as it would be if you were presenting the first scenario I mentioned. The second is however, more plausible so I'd be less likely to dismiss it out of hand, even if I don't actually believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

An invasion?
    Certainly not.

Re-filling the quickly emptying old people's homes (many will go out of business if only half-full), with new non-national folks (not exactly invasive, but economically opportunistic), perhaps...

In someways these facilities are more suitable that the usual method of redeveloping and fixing-up vacant hotels.

Thank you...I think...but ease up on the kudos...actually I first read it as meaning an invasion of Ireland. When you mentioned depth I was going to post something dismissive but thought it better to read the original post again first. Then I got it.

I don't remember that, but for some reason I also don't remember, I didn't pay much attention to what was happening in Libya then. I do tend to be dismissive of conspiracy theories in the absence of solid evidence, and I've seen too many quotes taken out of context, over-long YouTube videos that don't do anything like was said on the tin and lots of innuendo presented as incontrovertible fact to be impressed by them, so my default response is an eye-roll, as it would be if you were presenting the first scenario I mentioned. The second is however, more plausible so I'd be less likely to dismiss it out of hand, even if I don't actually believe it.

The thing about conspiracy theories are if you have solid evidence it's no longer known as a conspiracy really is it?

A good example, all the things that are now known about what went on in Northern Ireland would have been thought of back then as the most crazy conspiracy theories known to man.

Conspiracy theory is a silly word though and is used to discredit genuine thoughts of what happened or is happening, the word is associated with UFOs and holocaust denial and things like that whereas a conspiracy theory is basically just any theory that challenges the status quo.

An invasion?
    Certainly not.

Re-filling the quickly emptying old people's homes (many will go out of business if only half-full), with new non-national folks (not exactly invasive, but economically opportunistic), perhaps...

In someways these facilities are more suitable that the usual method of redeveloping and fixing-up vacant hotels.

Sorry I don't get what you mean if you can explain differently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sorry I don't get what you mean if you can explain differently?

With many old peoples homes quickly becoming empty (and being viewed as high-risk infectious COVID locations), Ireland could please the EU partners by offering to take more economic migrants from across Europe.

It's certainly not an invasion.
    But would alter the population of a country (see Sweden), well depending on the numbers. e.g. Turkey is currently trying to offload about 3million folks into Europe, that it no longer wants. Greece/Italy are both indicating problems with numbers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There's probably an invasion coming along any day now, they can conveniently push the dead children killed by UK and British forces back to the last 5 minutes of news where everyone has already flicked over to the Simpsons once they've heard about the 90 year olds who can barely walk tragically taken by the corona virus.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fb7e405a6-b2b6-11e8-8fb1-ac438dd6af00.jpg?crop=3000%2C2000%2C0%2C0

The thing about conspiracy theories are if you have solid evidence it's no longer known as a conspiracy really is it?

That's true to some extent but the problem is that in my experience the vast majority of supporters of these...interpretations of events...aren't presenting them as conspiracy theory, but rather as conspiracy fact.
    Conspiracy theory is a silly word though and is used to discredit genuine thoughts of what happened or is happening, the word is associated with UFOs and holocaust denial and things like that whereas a conspiracy theory is basically just any theory that challenges the status quo.

The conspiracy theory faithful have only themselves to thank for that.

That's true to some extent but the problem is that in my experience the vast majority of supporters of these...interpretations of events...aren't presenting them as conspiracy theory, but rather as conspiracy fact.

The conspiracy theory faithful have only themselves to thank for that.

But the "conspiracy theory faithful" are not one specific group of people, someone who rants and raves about UFOs has no connection whatsoever to someone who claims a government has a different agenda for doing something than they claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

There's probably an invasion coming along any day now, they can conveniently push the dead children killed by UK and British forces back to the last 5 minutes of news where everyone has already flicked over to the Simpsons once they've heard about the 90 year olds who can barely walk tragically taken by the corona virus.

Invasion by who and where? They're a lot of countries in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just to add to this tin foil hat conspiracy there is an interesting article in the Sunday Times today stating that Chinese Naval forces are pushing and nudging further into other countries territories.

Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam to name a few. To date they've got involved in indirect actions with coastguard vessels and fishing boats of the above nations.

The Yanks unfortunately are tied up elsewhere however with other problems ie, the crews of their two carriers Reagan and Roosevelt being both laid up with Covid 19.

Coincidentally, one of the Chinese destroyers leading these incursions is called 'Wuhan'.

You heard it here first folks.
    The op is right!!

That's not new. That's old info. China build new islands on the South seas and if you think about it is impressive. They have now militarized them. The biggest fear is one day China will invade Taiwan. China goal is to invade it by 2030 or 2050 by force. There now building air carriers so they can project power outside their borders. Soon or later China and US will end up in a war, it will happen within the next 50 years. People often forget China and US already fought a war in Korea.

But the "conspiracy theory faithful" are not one specific group of people, someone who rants and raves about UFOs has no connection whatsoever to someone who claims a government has a different agenda for doing something than they claim.

That depends on how different an agenda is being discussed. Some scenarios are more plausible than others. The "ranting and raving" isn't confined to claims about UFOs, although to be fair I haven't seen anything that I'd describe as ranting and raving, but I've seen plenty confidently and often arrogantly declare their version of events to be completely accurate based only on a mixture of innuendo, selective presentation of supporting information, and half-understood science. And these people are very common and they do represent a specific group of people, grouped not by their pet theory, but rather by their behavior.

That depends on how different an agenda is being discussed. Some scenarios are more plausible than others. The "ranting and raving" isn't confined to claims about UFOs, although to be fair I haven't seen anything that I'd describe as ranting and raving, but I've seen plenty confidently and often arrogantly declare their version of events to be completely accurate based only on a mixture of innuendo, selective presentation of supporting information, and half-understood science. And these people are very common and they do represent a specific group of people, grouped not by their pet theory, but rather by their behavior.

A conspiracy theory is any theory that goes against the status quo, in a way we we are all conspiracy theorists.

Have you ever held an opinion that is different to the status quo? About a war? An Invasion? An assasination? Something you believe is happening in a country? endless things I could come up with if you have a different theory to any of that stuff that would make you a conspiracy theorist as well, or do you believe everything you hear on the news? Every reason the government says they have for doing something?

Or do you just believe everything you see? Back when in people in Ireland used to claim to claim the British intelligence services were using loyalists to carry out assassinations on their behalf they were called conspiracy theorists, what are they called now psychics?

if you have education on a subject conspiracy theories aren't far fetched crazy ideas they are logical ideas on things that are happening in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Left or right fist.

The opposite to which one is normally used. :)

• Advertisement

When Bloody Sunday happened in Northern Ireland people in England who claimed the army were covering up a massacre of unarmed civilians were called conspiracy theorists, people who have theories on things that happened don't like to refer to those theories as conspiracy theories it only serves to discredit those theories.

Advertisement