Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast - where still has it still in stock?

• 26-04-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy dried yeast in Cork? Or even fresh yeast at this stage. I'm about to run out of it and can't find it in Aldi, Dunnes or SuperValu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I haven't seen dry in a few weeks. None in tesco Wilton yesterday. The Eastern European shops often have fresh yeast in stock, about 50c for a small block. Pallas foods are doing click and collect from little island for the public they do a kilo of fresh for €2.05. It freezes well.

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/yeast-fresh-12x1-kg-fu160.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My local Lidl had it last week. Small green and white packets on the shelf above where the flour is, or should be!

Also my local Polish shop had dried yeast (drożdże) as well as strong(ish) flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I picked some up in Aldi in Cobh quite recently. There still seemed to be plenty on the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Little Italy in Smithfield have some and also some flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Anyone seen any in South Dublin? Ideally Monkstown, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Deansgrange. (so I don't break the lockdown to go get it!)

I got a bag of plain flour but I'd ideally like to get strong flour and dried yeast sachets so I can make my own pizza dough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

If you have a Holland and Barrett nearby, they sell vital wheat gluten. You can add this to plain flour to make it into strong flour. I use about 5g per 125g flour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I ordered a large amount of it from Spain off ebay about three months ago but I see now that it's largely sold out online. Any links to places selling yeast appreciated.

https://www.feastingathome.com/sourdough-starter/

If you have a couple of days before you need it, you can ferment your own with flour and water from the yeast which is in the air. See recipe above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Have you tried the Polish supermarkets for fresh yeast? That's where I usually get it, now I haven't been in there recently as I had a stash of it in the freezer but they are usually a good bet for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭liogairmhordain

SozBbz wrote: »
    Anyone seen any in South Dublin? Ideally Monkstown, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Deansgrange. (so I don't break the lockdown to go get it!)

I got a bag of plain flour but I'd ideally like to get strong flour and dried yeast sachets so I can make my own pizza dough.
    I saw it in centra in glasthule yesterday

Advertisement