Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birds... New Worrying Behaviour.

• 26-04-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Trust me I'm not going crazy!?
    But has anyone noticed the birds are trying to feed on what's left in roof gutters,really pecking hard into them and also pecking hard into exposed timber on sheds and similar.
    I'm starting to put 2&2 together and I'm concerned that there isn't any food around any more for our feathered friends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

But has anyone noticed the birds are trying to feed on what's left in roof gutters,really pecking hard into them and also pecking hard into exposed timber on sheds and similar.
    I'm starting to put 2&2 together and I'm concerned that there isn't any food around any more for our feathered friends.
    It's the time of year for making nests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It's the time of year for making nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Really thought this thread was going to be about something else when I saw the title...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Birds arent real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Really thought this thread was going to be about something else when I saw the title...

Take my bird, for instance...

No, somebody please take her!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If anything, birds are prospering in this. Insect/bug count is high, due to the lack of greens been cut (only can confirm my area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Me too, I was thinking about the tan bird in the bikini

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

**** them, we've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

The Human Being takes precedence over all other creatures on this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a veritable biosphere growing in the gutter outside my bedroom, and the birds have always had a ball hammering into it - but the feckers won't take away the clumps of stuff they pull out, they just drop it all over the front patio :(

Definitely more of it at this time of year, as others have said I assume it's because it's nesting season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Charming :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Charming :(
    It's the truth of nature.

We're the top of the foodchain. We rule the roost, pardon the pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

All creatures play a role in ecosystems, why do think there's concern about the decline of bees?

We rely on animal life a lot more than they rely on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Am defo using this 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

That's probably not going to work out real well, long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We rule the roost, pardon the pun.

Some bit of RNA in a spiky shell might disagree :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As others have said they are gathering stuff for nesting.

It's great to watch alright, we throw out (brace yourselves) the hair left in the hairbrush every day, we are all losing it now lol. And it is scooped up big time. I also cut the tops off the dandelions (the seed bit) and leave them on the path, gone very quickly, whether that's the wind or the birds I don't know either!

There is something going on in the bushes alright. It's great, especially this year with everything locked down, to see that nature copes and carrries on.

Bits of moss are also carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

all the cities and towns are empty so theres no discarded taco chips or kebabs so the poor birds are half starved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

all the cities and towns are empty so theres no discarded taco chips or kebabs so the poor birds are half starved

Their diet is being improved no end. The gulls can rediscover the art of fishing and coastal foraging.

Their diet is being improved no end. The gulls can rediscover the art of fishing and coastal foraging.

When we can, it will be safe to buy fish and chips in Howth so, and eat al fresco :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have a veritable biosphere growing in the gutter outside my bedroom, and the birds have always had a ball hammering into it - but the feckers won't take away the clumps of stuff they pull out, they just drop it all over the front patio :(

Definitely more of it at this time of year, as others have said I assume it's because it's nesting season.

If anyone is bored during the day, leave an old tennis ball in the garden on a patio or other hard surface and watch the birds come to it to try to take some of the fibers for their nest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And yet we're all locked in our houses because we have no other way of fighting off an attack by an organism so small it can't even be seen by an optical microscope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I feel it for the seagulls in and around Dublin docklands who usually survive by stealing food from office workers, poor fcukers don’t know what a fish actually looks like, they must be starvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I might be able to help.

They are eating insects out of your biosphere.

So many BIG bees around at the moment. Great to see.

There was a fella who was on RTE for a long time, but he passed away recently and he was passionate about bees. Can't remember his name, but he was incredibly knowledgeable.

Can anyone remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So many BIG bees around at the moment. Great to see.

There was a fella who was on RTE for a long time, but he passed away recently and he was passionate about bees. Can't remember his name, but he was incredibly knowledgeable.

Can anyone remember?

Bumblebee man from the Simpsons?

Bumblebee man from the Simpsons?

Ha no, he was on RTE occasionally, great chap. May he RIP. I'll think of his name eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I can hear them battering away at the spouting fom the garage where I am.
    I noticed today little blue egg shells on the ground.
    Hatching season?

Was Philip McCabe the bee expert. He had a great accent and such a listenable voice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/philip-mccabe-ireland-s-bee-man-1.3674382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Am defo using this 😁

Yeah you should. It hasn't been used since Henry Youngman back in the 1950's.
    So it'll defo sound new to most people!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'll tell you one thing, they love blue mouldy burger buns, threw a couple on the shed earlier and there was a bird riot, even the cat was afraid

21/25

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I feed them and get sh/t for thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So my thread went down like a lead balloon and the birds are not suffering at-all,.they just not eating junk food and are happier and fitter than ever.
    I'm actually glad I started this thread now. Birds Rock 🙏👍

Limpy wrote: »
    I feed them and get sh/t for thanks.

I don't feed them in my area anymore the left the car absolutely destroyed with pigeon and seagull sh¡te, I rather bring the bread up to the swans and ducks. I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think uncooked rice grain killed pigeons. The council kill off a load of pigeons at certain times of the year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are they woodpeckers? Probably just starting the job so the can try to sell you the full roof refurbishment job...

Or those pesky Russian no woodnicks trying to rob your insulation to build there gulag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

5G drives 'em nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Please don't give out about the birds. We have a pair of pheasants visiting our garden multiple times a day. Over a month ago the hen arrived, pecking away at the bird food we leave out. A week or so later, the cock appeared. Now the two of them are there non stop. She has a bad habbit of geting into the flower beds and cleaning herself - it's a great thing to watch. And he is contantly shaking himself and fluffing himself and shouting like a mad thing.

To hell with tv, netflix, youtube etc....... watching this couple is the place to be! And hopefully we'll have some wee birds in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

The birds work for the bourgeoisie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

FanadMan wrote: »
    Please don't give out about the birds. We have a pair of pheasants visiting our garden multiple times a day. Over a month ago the hen arrived, pecking away at the bird food we leave out. A week or so later, the cock appeared. Now the two of them are there non stop. She has a bad habbit of geting into the flower beds and cleaning herself - it's a great thing to watch. And he is contantly shaking himself and fluffing himself and shouting like a mad thing.

To hell with tv, netflix, youtube etc....... watching this couple is the place to be! And hopefully we'll have some wee birds in a few weeks.

They're not native birds, bred and released by people who enjoy blasting them with shotguns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Speaking of birds .... My Mrs said "with all this spare time , why don't you make a bird table ?". Now she's not talking to me cos I put her in 5th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Akrasia wrote: »
    If anyone is bored during the day, leave an old tennis ball in the garden on a patio or other hard surface and watch the birds come to it to try to take some of the fibers for their nest

I get a good gathering of sparrows after brushing my animals out the back. All the better if no wind and it doesn't move around the yard much. They reuse as nest material in April/May. Every last scrap is gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

414kFw8yKkL._AC_.jpg

FanadMan wrote: »

Are you sure its not the neighbours whose in your garden, this social isolation and cocooning lark, has everybody looking extremely different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kylta wrote: »
    I don't feed them in my area anymore the left the car absolutely destroyed with pigeon and seagull sh¡te, I rather bring the bread up to the swans and ducks. I'm not a 100% sure about this but I think uncooked rice grain killed pigeons. The council kill off a load of pigeons at certain times of the year too.

feeding bread to ducks and swans is like feeding them junk food, it isnt good for them, they get fat and cant escape predators. you are supposed to feed them grapes, corn, bird seed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

The crazy b@stards devour chicken!
    Does it not taste a bit....."familiar" to them??

They're not native birds, bred and released by people who enjoy blasting them with shotguns.

Indeed. Practically tamed, thats why they're not afraid to wander into fanads garden. Hunting for sport is particularly sickening in this instance where the 'sport' element is non existent.

We too had a pair of pheasants visiting our garden last year. Every day for a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful creatures. Happily pecking the ground beneath our bird feeders, alongside a multitude of small birds. Then one of them disappeared. Met his maker, literally. The other pheasant stood at the highest point of our rockery and called for him all day long. It was actually heartbreaking. Then she was taken too. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Indeed. Practically tamed, thats why they're not afraid to wander into fanads garden. Hunting for sport is particularly sickening in this instance where the 'sport' element is non existent.

We too had a pair of pheasants visiting our garden last year. Every day for a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful creatures. Happily pecking the ground beneath our bird feeders, alongside a multitude of small birds. Then one of them disappeared. Met his maker, literally. The other pheasant stood at the highest point of our rockery and called for him all day long. It was actually heartbreaking. Then she was taken too. :(

Indeed, sport my arse.

There's research suggesting that internal parasites carried by farmed pheasant are strongly implicated in decline of grey partridge in Europe and thought to be a factor in the scarcity of corncrake here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Explain that to the bacteria that’ll munch you down to nothing when you die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thankfully there's no hunters around here. Most of the land is wild so very little argriculture.....plenty of places for them to nest and forage.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Wont be very long until we're not even part of the food chain at all thanks to attitudes like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The crazy b@stards devour chicken!
    Does it not taste a bit....."familiar" to them??

The Crows and Gulls love chicken. There is almost everyday remains of snackbox chicken bones on my yard and driveway. Every window in my house and on my car is destroyed in ****, My yard is like a rockery from them and they spent all day on my roofs doing their thing, making noise and general messing. The Crows are very playful and happy as for the Gulls they are the thugs of the bird world all brawn no brain, mad noisy things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement