Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground cover plant for shallow clay soil

Options
  • 26-04-2020 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

There's a big concrete disk where a decommissioned septic tank is in the garden. I've covered it with a small mound of soil. The soil is clay.

I want to sow something that will cover the mound and not need mowing. Clover would be good but I don't know if it will grow in soil that shallow. There is plenty of white clover growing in the lawn in general so it does grand in the soil if the depth is not an issue.

Maybe grass wouldn't grow very high if it has limited root depth?

The depth is about 6". It's a pretty shaded spot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Pic attached

Edit Ok it's not. My phone is about to die so will fix later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6" should be plenty for clover.
    i've recently been watching old episodes of time team where they've discovered walls of roman villas at that depth in farmland in england, with the farmer not being aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

My favorite ground cover is Ajuga and it seems to do fine where there isn't very much soil for it to grow in. The dark purple leaved varieties seem the nicest to me. The bumble bees are really enjoying it in the garden at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Wild marjoram and catmint grow really well for me on clay soil. Both self seed profusely, are quite thuggish and need very little care so ideal for ground cover!

Advertisement