Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can indoor cameras be used for recording outside?

• 26-04-2020 5:25pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The indoor ones are cheaper and obviously don't need to be wired or installed outside.

Dipped toe on the water with a cheap Ezvid one that does the trick sitting on a windowsill looking out at backyard etc. At night time it's rubbish though.

Has anyone used indoor cameras (am looking at some of the Kasa ones), would they have better night time vision? Any pros or cons buying indoor vs outdoor.

I should say I dont need audio for out the back, have a nest hello for the front with that.

Also don't think the Ezviz one can be viewed on a Google smart screen so Kasa looks good for that too.

Comments

I’ve a Yi Home camera looking out on the driveway from a top window and it works a charm. Not expensive but has paid for itself ten times over by now anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Security-Surveillance-Monitor-Android/dp/B01CW4AR9K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The big issue with a camera looking from the inside are the house windows. They are designed to reflect IR light, so unless outside its lit with white light then night time performance will be terrible.

If the camera has its own IR lighting then it will be even worse as you will see the reflection of the IR lights.

I turn off the IR nighttime lighting and the picture is fine. The only issue is when the light is turned on in the room it’s in but it’s a storage room so I took the bulb out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks lads.

The cheapo version was originally bought to help watch the kids out the back if I'm upstairs or up the front of the house and that works fine although have ti look on a phone instead of asking a Google hub.

Sounds like if I want it to be a security camera then I need to buy a proper outdoor one especially if I want to be able to watch any footage in the hours of darkness.

Will keep an eye on Amazon for a deal....or wait till black Friday!

Advertisement