Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changes in nature during this crisis

• 26-04-2020 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

If there's a thread on this, feel free to move.

Does anyone else notice things like birdsong in the morning is a lot stronger with the lockdown. Or am I imagining this.

Any other natural observations to report.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

If there's a thread on this, feel free to move.

Does anyone else notice things like birdsong in the morning is a lot stronger with the lockdown. Or am I imagining this.

Any other natural observations to report.

Well probably from lack of traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're just noticing because it is quieter in some areas and people have been home more to notice. Being home all day every day in a rural setting I see or hear no change as there is always great birdsong at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You've changed the world by observing it.

While there's been plenty of chiff chatter about this a true change will be a slow coming over a length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Definitely hearing more birds than usual at the break of dawn and there is never any traffic where we live until an hour or two after dawn.

We are on the ring of Kerry route so usually we would have an average of 50 big tourist buses drive the road that is at the end of our lane everyday for the busiest 6 months of the year.

We haven't been in lockdown 6 weeks and the difference is huge, one particular spot where it is very noticeable is a narrow bridge not too far from our house where the buses would all have to slow down almost to a stop and belch their fumes all over it when crossing over. Both sides of that bridge now have wild flowers growing on it that were never there before.

Also the new born lambs that stray onto the road with their mothers who graze on the long acre no longer scamper when they are approached by traffic like they used to, they look at you as if to say wtf are you doing here, where did you come from?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We're coming into summer now and where I live it's about the same amount of birdsong.

The drone of traffic is definitely less so maybe this is why it's easier to focus on the other noises.

It's cool to see pics of animals wandering into towns now.

p06w5n3m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Coming into May and the dawn chorus so lots of birdsong where I live - but I'm used to that as it's pretty rural. However I'm noticing very distant sounds as traffic (both sky and road) has decreased - I could hear a van backing up (with one of this beepy reverses) fields away today. I can hear the snipe who was hardly heard at all last year and sometimes a cry of a buzzard - so even here there is a little more that has been revealed by the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Anybody notice a large number of bumblebees or is it just that I am off and noticing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Glenomra wrote: »
    Anybody notice a large number of bumblebees or is it just that I am off and noticing this year.

It's more butterflies we've noticed here rather than bumblebees, really vibrant colors.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I'm finding it beautiful and very uplifting. I walk my dogs at 7am every morning and the peace as well as the sights and sounds of nature is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You've changed the world by observing it.

Is that you Schrodinger ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Loads of bumblebees around and the swallows have just arrived in the south over the last week or two. A lot of animals are being braver as there aren't people milling around.

Piles of Goldfinches this year too but we haven't seen the increase in butterflies where I am.

Advertisement