Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail ticket refund

• 26-04-2020 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Don't know what is the right forum to discuss this.

I have an annual tax-saver ticket for a commuter train (which is deduced from my wage). Since the employer has closed the office all the employees are working from home from the begin of April. And due to COVID restrictions the Irish Rail services are no longer available to use for us.
    Recently we've got a feedback from "Tax Saver" that we CAN cancel the annual ticket from 1st of May, but if we do this, we won't be able to get a new Tax Saver ticket until September, which sounds like a joke.
    No refund offered for the month of April, and if we cancel the tickets, and in case the company opens during the summer (which is likely) we won't be able to apply until September.
    I don't know whom to contact but this is obviously the violation of the customer rights? We are paying for the service now but we are not provided with that service.
    If the government restricts the transport companies (Bus Eirann, Iarnród Éireann etc) to provide the service, should they compensate the losses to companies or directly to the passengers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Remember tax saver tickets are based on cost for 10 months but paid over 12. NTA are working on a solution to annual holders and refund. I would hold off until there is an official announcement by NTA as in terms of tax paid its likely better not to cancel and accept what they offer.

Irish Rail are providing a service and not stopping you from traveling so the whole rights is a non starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Irish Rail are providing a service and not stopping you from traveling so the whole rights is a non starter.

No they don't:
    Public transport is currently restricted to essential travel only which is for the purpose of buying food or medicines, going to medical appointments, and for carers and essential workers.
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/news/covid-19-information/

Advertisement