Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the lockdown extended on the 5th for 30 days will you do anything different?

• 26-04-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭

Me I'll probably give up alcohol and start a 30 day fitness challenge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

if it is extended, I'll use the next 30 days to try and lose all the weight I've put on from the last 30 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Make an appointment with the CMO

Joking of course.

I would not expect it will be. Certainly not for that long. Tony is no fool. The time to move forwards has come.

On a serious note any lockdown in Ireland is decided by the people.

If the population doesn't consent it's over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

No, I'll keep on keeping on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

trapp wrote: »

Joking of course.

I would not expect it will be. Certainly not for that long. Tony is no fool. The time to move forwards has come.

What are you basing that on exactly?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Joking of course.

Will there be a referendum?

• Advertisement

Put in another order for a 42 case of beer and continue to abide the regulations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

road_high wrote: »
    What are you basing that on exactly?!

The fact that he has ended up as the CMO.

A person in that position would be well aware on the public health impact of continuing the lockdown for any longer than needed.

He has said so on many occasions.

Despite his critics I think he's done a good job despite some mistakes.

I think restrictions will begin to ease as soon as he can do it and that won't be too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll probably go a bit mad. Not a lot just a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Order a lot of paint and take a few weeks holidays.
    Not like I'm going to be able to go anywhere on my holidays this year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

pjohnson wrote: »
    Will there be a referendum?

Got to have a Government for one of those.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Me I'll probably give up alcohol and start a 30 day fitness challenge.

I'll probably give up chocolate and start a 30 day fitness challenge for the 10th time over the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Find out the where the nearest pub to me is illegally serving pints.

I’m actually enjoying this time. For the first time in my adult life, I can be just a housewife with no worries about feeding and entertaining children. No worries about being able to pay the mortgage. It’s actually preparing me nicely for my retirement in 18 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Coped so far so will carry on without moaning.

Miss family, but they miss me aswell. It's not all about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Im having a ball. I couldnt care less if it went on for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

I'll keep doing what I am doing at the moment.

Working 8-5/6 Monday to Friday
    Netflix, Disney+, PS4, browsing the internet in my spare time
    Few walks within 2km of my home throughout the week
    Few home workouts throughout the week
    Few drinks Thurs, Fri & Sat
    Few calls with my family and friends throughout the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'll probably go a bit mad. Not a lot just a bit.

I read that in this man's voice

tenor.gif?itemid=5383679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

So far this thread is a lot friendlier than others :)

I’m reading a lot about the states and they’re all talking about reopening and I can’t believe it. Relax some restrictions yes, but the way they’re going on seems insane to me. The critics are warning of a resurgence in “the fall”. As opposed to almost straight away.

I’m counting myself lucky I can work from home and have been since 1st March, difficult while entertaining a 4 year old. But I do feel there needs to be balance for people out of work or in smaller apartments or house shares with strangers, etc.

Looking at Spain today, they let kids out for the first time in 6 weeks and the streets and parked were all absolutely packed. It really needs to be messaged well in a way that’s adhered to. Like go out but wear a mask and keep distance, etc.

I do worry about a lot of disappointment in the general public here who are expecting this to be over on may 5th. When in reality at best it will be builders/trades/etc and some retail. But the distancing should remain. And from what I’ve heard from some supermarkets here, it’s already heavily slacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Probably not do much differently except try to exercise a bit more frequently and eat less crap. I've put on half a stone in weight in the last month due to munching away on snacks all day and sitting on my backside :eek:

I went out for a short jog this morning and came back wheezing and wrecked tired. Definitely gone very unfit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

In one word, no. I won’t do anything different.

I can work from home, get to spend time with the kids I normally wouldn’t get, I’m getting more exercise than I have in years and I’ve got back into reading books.

Yes, it is a pain not to physically see friends and family, but we have various Zoom sessions during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

I will respect it.

To try keep the vulnerable adults on my house safe.

If it’s lifted or relaxed I will be staying locked down. To try keep the vulnerable adults in my house safe.

Look after your own life raft. You can’t rely on all the selfish ***** who are “cracking up”.

I’d be a bit more stubborn in work too (going to start that from tomorrow actually). The boss was all talk about personal safety at the start but seen euro signs and it all went out the window without question. I have to work but there’s some things didn’t need to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The fact that he has ended up as the CMO.

A person in that position would be well aware on the public health impact of continuing the lockdown for any longer than needed.

He has said so on many occasions.

Despite his critics I think he's done a good job despite some mistakes.

I think restrictions will begin to ease as soon as he can do it and that won't be too far away.

He is not squeaky clean.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/top-medic-advised-against-cervical-check-review-910324.html
    The most senior Government health adviser advised against a review of CervicalCheck the day after Vicky Phelan called for an investigation into the screening programme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/explanation-needed-for-appalling-treatment-of-patient-advocate-says-labour-1.3995456
    Dr Holohan wrote to Ms Walsh last March, taking exception to remarks she allegedly made to a journalist criticising his role in the CervicalCheck controversy and calling for his resignation.

The letter, on department-headed notepaper, warned Ms Walsh to expect a “very strong response” if the remarks were repeated in public.

I did a google maps thinggy to find out what was within 2k of my house. Now I knew most of it, but some surprising hidden gems emerged. Delighted is not the word.

Never had the time really to explore the area much apart from the obvious, but honestly I will be forever grateful for the hints and tips on the local FB page (not a member as I don't agree with FB on an individual, thanks etc. basis, but looking at it anonymously has opened up a lot of places near me that I would never have thought of.) Probably hypocritical but I will live with it.

How old is too old for a grown man to buy a PS4?

Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If the there is a further explanation,I will have to find a way to block posters in touch boards

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Asking for a friend

I got an XBox One last year and there isn’t enough boredom in the world fit to make me turn it back on. Modern games are so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

No, nothing different.

I'll continue to pull meself asunder around the clock in another month long marathon of relentless masturbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Asking for a friend

Never too old! It's great craic and passes the time, I'd definitely reccomend you get one if you have the funds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Asking for a friend

I sold one to someone edging close to 50 the other day, wife has him quarrintined to a room as she's going to visit her mother and he's still working, he's not allowed near her during lockdown the poor chap.

Asking for a friend

You’re never too old! Tell your “friend” to buy and enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

If restrictions are lifted on the 5th, I wonder what will those be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I might cut my own hair with an electric beard trimmer. My last haircut was end of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Benimar wrote: »
    In one word, no. I won’t do anything different.

I can work from home, get to spend time with the kids I normally wouldn’t get, I’m getting more exercise than I have in years and I’ve got back into reading books.

Yes, it is a pain not to physically see friends and family, but we have various Zoom sessions during the week.

Likewise. Normally I spend 2-3 hours commuting to and from work, albeit with occasional days working from home. Not having to do that is a serious boost in quality of life. Now I can do a day's work and have dinner on the table from when Mme Storkeuse (a nurse) gets home, and we're all done and dusted by 6.30. Marvellous. With the (secondary school age) kids doing remote schooling, I'm also available if they need a hand with something. And I can concentrate on my own work much better than I can in the office. And I'm using the time saved on commuting to learn some additional work-related knowledge.

Of course, the ability to work from home will probably be one of the last measures to disappear, if indeed it ever does, so I don't have a vested interest in keeping the full restrictions in place so I can enjoy it. We've been coping surprisingly well, I think, although Mme Storkeuse does miss her jaunts into town to shop or meet her friend.

Our eldest's 16th birthday is coming up and we won't be able to mark it with something special but I've told her that we'll go a big meal out as soon as it's possible. What I haven't mentioned yet is that I'm thinking of taking her and her besties to a restaurant of her choice, leaving them there and coming back in time to pay the bill.

So, we're following the restrictions and have no plans to break them, but I'm well aware that we're lucky; we both have jobs, have a house with a garden, and are well able to make our own amusement, and we aren't sporty types. Lots of people lack some or even all of these advantages, so I understand how it can be psychologically and financially tough for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Smegging hell

I'll keep trucking away with the status quo. I've been finding it OK. The big negative is that my bf is on the other side of the country, looking forward to seeing him again.

• Advertisement

I'll keep trucking away with the status quo. I've been finding it OK. The big negative is that my bf is on the other side of the country, looking forward to seeing him again.

The amount of riding in this country that'll happen once a very effective treatment is found will be quite something (I very much believe this will happen before a vaccine)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Hopefully it opens up soon so normies can stop complaining and we hermits can be left to it. Then in a few months the normies will be complaining about being over worked again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Give up boards, it will be absolutely nuts

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Im having a ball. I couldnt care less if it went on for another 12 months.

Good for you Liamo

I'm wondering though, what has you this relaxed about it? I'm guessing you've no over 60 parents to worry about and you're single and your job is safe and you have no underlying conditions and you're under 50?

I'm not being smart, I'd just love to know why you're this nonchalant about it. Maybe you can pass some of it onto me

Hopefully it opens up soon so normies can stop complaining and we hermits can be left to it. Then in a few months the normies will be complaining about being over worked again.

There will be some mental health cards played if it is extended. Poor little mites having to watch telly for an extra few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Smegging hell

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Give up boards, it will be absolutely nuts

You mean it isn't already? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Small annoyances really get to me. Something minor I'll get pissed and be a bit of a grump for a while. Big things I don't react at all, so if this is extended for 30 days I'm assuming I'll become some kind of zen monk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd just carry on. We're in a decent routine at the moment. But I may have to let my wife have a go at cutting my hair if it goes on much longer.

I have never experienced the hunger for getting back to work as I have reading these posts.

Don't get me wrong, I know many rely on a steady income, not knocking it.

Sadly, I think this is the new normal and we might just have to get used to it.

Is it getting out of the house, or what?

Glad I left the office environment years ago, no regrets. But in fairness am set up for WFH for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

put myself on the liver transplant list and apologise to the current one for another rough month.

I’d probably take a few weeks vacation from work.
    I simply can’t hack my home being the office.
    It’s miserable. Feels like I’m constantly in work.

Thankfully the lockdown won’t be extended, and certainly not for 30 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

nj27 wrote: »
    Small annoyances really get to me. Something minor I'll get pissed and be a bit of a grump for a while. Big things I don't react at all, so if this is extended for 30 days I'm assuming I'll become some kind of zen monk.

I'm a bit like that. The bigger the emergency that calmer I tend to be. I remember the day my father had a severe stroke; I got him home, called the doctor then got everyone up to the hospital, and calmly made other arrangements around this new situation..

But I can lose my sh1t over a lost sock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

put myself on the liver transplant list and apologise to the current one for another rough month.

I'd to do a few days of ibuprofen last week to bring down the swelling in mine too much whiskey and rum:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

5% work for 100% pay ?

I could do this forever!

Introverts love it, Extroverts hate it.

Debate that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement