Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish conservatives not represented in the media/politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

They may indeed burn out, as the Greens came very close to doing. And if they do, it is because they didn't attract enough support.

Personally, I find it strange to see Labour and SocDems struggling while SF are flying high, but that's democracy for you.

Which of those parties are well funded, do you think....

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/38 is the forum that you're looking for there.

You linked an article about a very pressing social issue....are you afraid of having an opinion yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,491 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What have the far right got to do with mainstream views.

For instance, it is perfectly fine to Support legalising abortion, but be opposed to the taxpayer paying for the service.

You misread the post: I said "how far right....?", not far right.
    Also - question was specifci to media coverage. I mean, are we talking Sky news? The sun? Fox? Infowars?

Why specifically abortion? I mean, why not other aspects of healthcare? Such as broken limbs, injuries sustained while under the influence of alcohol, such as fighting, motor accidents, cancer, heart surgery...? Or are you suggesting a US-based healtcare system (in which case, good luck managing a coronavirus outbreak!!)?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You misread the post: I said "how far right....?", not far right.

Why specifically abortion? I mean, why not other aspects of healthcare? Such as broken limbs, injuries sustained while under the influence of alcohol, such as fighting, motor accidents, cancer, heart surgery...? Or are you suggesting a US-based healtcare system (in which case, good luck managing a coronavirus outbreak!!)?

Can you define what you mean by far right?

I gave an example of what would be considered a mainstream view typical of a fiscally conservative opinion on what would be a socially liberal policy on an issue we have just had a referendum on...

I am not suggesting anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Then again the question is: how far right are we talking here? And what foreign media outlet standards would you like to see represented here?

The new york post, the express in the uk (obviously not in a tabloid sense but a political leaning one) , the liberal and gript would be too entrenched in catholacism for me but do provide good balance to the likes of the journal who are too ethosed in the hard left college campus outrage brand of leftism.

• Advertisement

Can you define what you mean by far right?

By "how far right" I mean what levels of conservatism do people feel are not represented. In terms of stances rather than specific policies. Slight? Moderate? Alt-right? Far right? Peter Casey right or Donald Trump right?
    I gave an example of what would be considered a mainstream view typical of a fiscally conservative opinion on what would be a socially liberal policy on an issue we have just had a referendum on...

I am not suggesting anything.....

I know, I just asked for more info. While I accept your viewpoint, it's a bit too narrow of an example on which to base formation of a political party.

The new york post, the express in the uk (obviously not in a tabloid sense but a political leaning one) , the liberal and gript would be too entrenched in catholacism for me but do provide good balance to the likes of the journal who are too ethosed in the hard left college campus outrage brand of leftism.

While not all that familiar with either, I'd argue that both of them have been a bit over xenophobic and bigoted in the past; and the Irish aren't don't really identify with those ideals, which is why they dont' exist here. But that's just a theory.

By "how far right" I mean what levels of conservatism do people feel are not represented. In terms of stances rather than specific policies. Slight? Moderate? Alt-right? Far right?

I know, I just asked for more info. While I accept your viewpoint, it's a bit too narrow of an example on which to base formation of a political party.

Well I've already gave a list of about a dozen issues....are any of them far right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They are overly represented. RTE spouts nothing but admiration for FG and FF who are conservative parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Is there a single party in this country who willingly discusses

Social Welfare Reform - ending lifelong social welfare dependency
    Law and Order - The complete shambles of our courts.
    Addressing the Cocaine Epidemic
    Addressing the Mental Health Crisis (that doesn't involve spending more taxpayers money)
    Addressing the dysfunction of certain Cultural Groups and certain demographics and the implications of their behaviour on our broader society,
    Our deteriorating Education Standards.
    The coming Pension Crisis.
    The huge cost of Gender Quotas being enforced in our Private Sector.
    Indeed, has anyone questioned the requirement for Political Parties to sign up to a Feminist manifesto as per our latest election.
    Addressing the consistent abuse of public office and the complete lack of accountability and the complete lack of punishment for those who do....
    The role the EU has on social issues, ie, the Gender Deconstruction Theory that our kids are now being exposed to in their classrooms.
    Addressing the widening gap in job security and benefits between the Private Sector and the Public sector.

Because I'd image a lot more than 2% of us would like to see a much more prominent discussion on a myriad of issues....

I do recall one Presidential Candidate getting into a lot of hot water for touching on one of those issues, he polled a lot higher than 2%.

If there is a Conservative Political Party in this country...I haven't come across it!

Apart from the half dozen non-sequiturs you are essentially putting forward a reactionary ideology.

The reason we have no appetite for regressive politics in Ireland is because the vast majority of people in Ireland realise it was "never great" in the past and definitely not going to make it "great again" like 1952. There is neither an empire nor Jim Crow laws to go back to. That today is better than yesterday and that we are making progress.

The only folk that feel otherwise are the usual losers that think the world owes them status and who only feel happy when they feel superior to some minority.

Re Presidential Election, like a school yard bully, it's easy to get a cheap cheer in the playground by attacking an easy target. But the majority of people grow up and realise what obnoxious behaviour that is let alone they could be targeted one day.

But you keep enjoying your memberberries...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncps_RYHoAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

While not all that familiar with either, I'd argue that both of them have been a bit over xenophobic and bigoted in the past; and the Irish aren't don't really identify with those ideals, which is why they dont' exist here. But that's just a theory.

It depends on if you define sbeaible immigration control and exposing problems in minority communities as xenophobic, I do not, others do

micosoft wrote: »
    Apart from the half dozen non-sequiturs you are essentially putting forward a reactionary ideology.

The reason we have no appetite for regressive politics in Ireland is because the vast majority of people in Ireland realise it was "never great" in the past and definitely not going to make it "great again" like 1952. There is neither an empire nor Jim Crow laws to go back to. That today is better than yesterday and that we are making progress.

The only folk that feel otherwise are the usual losers that the think the world owes them status and who only feel happy when they feel superior to some minority.

Re Presidential Election, like a school yard bully, it's easy to get a cheap cheer in the playground by attacking an easy target. But the majority of people grow up and realise what obnoxious behaviour that is let alone they could be targeted one day.

But you keep enjoying your memberberries...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncps_RYHoAI

Right...I won't get into with a deep thinker...you are too smart for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭enricoh

Paddy the voter doesn't like realistic politicians that tells them they can't have more free stuff!

Sinn Fein promised 100k free houses, the other eejits only promised 50-60k , so voters went with Sinn Fein.
    Bertie got back in in 2007 due to all the treats Bertie doled out previously.
    My oul lad said Charlie haughey was getting bad polls going into an election in the 70s so he promised to get rid of car tax n won the election.

Michael Martin has got rid of raising the pension age in talks with fine Gael. Now let's get Willie o dea pushing for a tenner increase in the pension!
    Paddy knows it's not sustainable but doesn't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well I've already gave a list of about a dozen issues....are any of them far right?

Your list is made up of a number of nationalistic, conservative and left wing ideas.

It would be extremely difficult to find a candidate let alone a party that would agree on all these issues.

They are overly represented. RTE spouts nothing but admiration for FG and FF who are conservative parties.

We have the highest amount of Jobless households in the EU...that means, the households that do work have to be taxed enough to pay for those that dont....

In what world do you think a Conservative political party would facilitate that....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You linked an article about a very pressing social issue....are you afraid of having an opinion yourself?

I'm afraid of you dragging the discussion totally off topic.

Ypu mean this one?
    Is there a single party in this country who willingly discusses

Social Welfare Reform - ending lifelong social welfare dependency
    Law and Order - The complete shambles of our courts.
    Addressing the Cocaine Epidemic
    Addressing the Mental Health Crisis (that doesn't involve spending more taxpayers money)
    Addressing the dysfunction of certain Cultural Groups and certain demographics and the implications of their behaviour on our broader society,
    Our deteriorating Education Standards.
    The coming Pension Crisis.
    The huge cost of Gender Quotas being enforced in our Private Sector.
    Indeed, has anyone questioned the requirement for Political Parties to sign up to a Feminist manifesto as per our latest election.
    Addressing the consistent abuse of public office and the complete lack of accountability and the complete lack of punishment for those who do....
    The role the EU has on social issues, ie, the Gender Deconstruction Theory that our kids are now being exposed to in their classrooms.
    Addressing the widening gap in job security and benefits between the Private Sector and the Public sector.

Because I'd image a lot more than 2% of us would like to see a much more prominent discussion on a myriad of issues....

I do recall one Presidential Candidate getting into a lot of hot water for touching on one of those issues, he polled a lot higher than 2%.

If there is a Conservative Political Party in this country...I haven't come across it!

Nearly every single one of them is loaded, but it's a fair illustraion.

But I think you'll find that these policies simply do not have enough support because Irish people see the policies rationally and go on actual information rather than emotionally sensationalist attention-grabbing words like "crisis" and "epidemic".

Here's an example, containing three loaded assumptions:
    "The role the EU has on social issues, ie, the Gender Deconstruction Theory that our kids are now being exposed to in their classrooms."
    - What role?
    - What Gender Deconstruction Theory?
    - What exposure in classrooms?
    And more importantly, why do you think we should assume these things exist wihtout provided evidence?

These are merely your opinions that you are trying to pass off as facts and most Irish people are aware of such tricks and see them for what they are.

And THAT is why there is no support for a conservative party holding those views in Ireland.

I'm afraid of you dragging the discussion totally off topic.

You linked the article, describing it as straight out of a tory handbook...

You dumped the link, made the statement then ran...without expressing a single opinion on what is a very current, very challenging social and economic issue which is exactly what this thread is about....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

enricoh wrote: »
    Paddy the voter doesn't like realistic politicians that tells them they can't have more free stuff!

Sinn Fein promised 100k free houses, the other eejits only promised 50-60k , so voters went with Sinn Fein.
    Bertie got back in in 2007 due to all the treats Bertie doled out previously.
    My oul lad said Charlie haughey was getting bad polls going into an election in the 70s so he promised to get rid of car tax n won the election.

Michael Martin has got rid of raising the pension age in talks with fine Gael. Now let's get Willie o dea pushing for a tenner increase in the pension!
    Paddy knows it's not sustainable but doesn't care!

Humans by their very nature like free stuff. Do you think multinational corporations and top 0.01% say "no I don't want that massive tax break" or "please let me return that huge grant you gave us for setting up in your country"

You can be sure that if there was a market for any such outlet here, there would be some grifter ready to meet that need. The Liberal survives by buying followers and fraudulent competitions.

There's just no market for it.

• Advertisement

You linked the article, describing it as straight out of a tory handbook...

You dumped the link, made the statement then ran...without expressing a single opinion on what is a very current, very challenging social and economic issue which is exactly what this thread is about....

And there was me thinking it was about conservative politics and media representation. Silly me.

Ypu mean this one?

But I think you'll find that these policies simply do not have enough support because Irish people don't see the policies rationally and go on actual information rather than sensationalist attention grabbing words like "crisis" and "epidemic".

Here's an example:
    "The role the EU has on social issues, ie, the Gender Deconstruction Theory that our kids are now being exposed to in their classrooms."
    - What role?
    And more importantly, why do you think we should assume these things exist wihtout provided evidence?

These are merely your opinions that you are trying to pass off as facts and most Irish people are aware of such tricks and see them for what they are.

And THAT is why there is no support for a conservative party holding those views in Ireland.

Well we have passed legislation in this state regarding Gender Recognition Act a number of years ago, I don't know about you, but I can't recall any debate, or that being part of any party manifesto...

https://www.thejournal.ie/transgender-laws-in-ireland-explainer-4453493-Jan2019/

This would be in direct conflict with a lot of mainstream conservative values and THAT is why I believe we don't have a Political Party that reflects Conservative Views....

This very topic will become a factor in all our lives over the coming years....

And there was me thinking it was about conservative politics and media representation. Silly me.

What was Conservative about what was said....it was addressing the housing issue that the state has avoided over the last ten years....you think Yates is a Tory which is why you stated what you did....

What is this obsession with the politics of Britain or America....they have different versions of the issues we face...

Ypu mean this one?

But I think you'll find that these policies simply do not have enough support because Irish people see the policies rationally and go on actual information rather than emotionally sensationalist attention-grabbing words like "crisis" and "epidemic".

Here's an example, containing three loaded assumptions:
    - What role?

Pretending there aren't crisis or epidemics won't make them go away...jesus did we not learn anything from that oppressive religious era!!!

Well we have passed legislation in this state regarding Gender Recognition Act a number of years ago, I don't know about you, but I can't recall any debate, or that being part of any party manifesto...

https://www.thejournal.ie/transgender-laws-in-ireland-explainer-4453493-Jan2019/

This would be in direct conflict with a lot of mainstream conservative values and THAT is why I believe we don't have a Political Party that reflects Conservative Views....

No debate? Did you not bother to participate in the public consultation?
    https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/001721-review-of-the-gender-recognition-act-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

L1011 wrote: »
    In terms of votes received, the conservative media commentators there are are massively over-represented; with a permanent op-ed presence in the print media and basically a guaranteed seat on any discussion.

They account for about 2% of the vote.

There is no "silent majority" or anything like it - just an incredibly noisy tiny minority.

I don't know where you pull that 2% figure from. FG FF SF and the Greens get some conservative votes.

It may well be.

The questions were rhetorical, designed to illustrate the manner in which the opinion was presented and attemptedly passed off as fact; which again, is not how you garner support for a serious political movement.

No debate? Did you not bother to participate in the public consultation?
    https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/001721-review-of-the-gender-recognition-act-2015/

I wasn't even aware of the proposed legislation...I don't recall any political party including it in the previous election's manifestos.

It may well be.

The questions were rhetorical, designed to illustrate the manner in which the opinion was presented and attemptedly passed off as fact; which again, is not how you garner support for a serious political movement.

You do realise that I'm not launching a political movement here...I'm just participating in a thread in an online forum....

• Advertisement

I wasn't even aware of the proposed legislation...I don't recall any political party including it in the previous election's manifestos.

How closely did you study the manifestos?

Advertisement