Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish conservatives not represented in the media/politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But why is it fascinating though...these lists are not readily available and I don't have the time or inclination to put resources into naming quangos I have been told exists (40 approx)...because some bloke on the internet, who has been attempting to undermine me consistently since the beginning of this thread, is feigning surprise that I can't provide a list he knows full well I can't provide ....as opposed to actually talk about any issue I mentioned(outside of one point of order)....

You had the nerve to accuse me of dragging the thread off topic when I asked you to elaborate on a point....

Hold yourself to the same standards and don't be so petty...

I'm not looking for any lists (though I am a little confused as to how lists that are 'not readily available' were so easily found online).

I'm looking for specifics. You said ;

"Currently we have a huge industry around supports for kids in vulnerable areas, loads of people employed on good money, several Quangos all offering very little..."

I'm asking you, for the third time, what are the specific "several quangos" with "loads of people employed on good money" that are "offering very little"? [All direct quotes from your good self]

And if you can't name the quangos, how can you stand over the statement? How can you expect anyone to believe you when you can't back up your claim with facts?

We all know what happened here. You read this claim once here on boards.ie or on some even further right platform, and you were so delighted to have something to moan about that you took it as gospel without bothering to see if it is actually true.

You can't go round repeating rumours and getting away with it.

No I don't. People with 100 plus convictions are of no benefit to society, and are unlikely in the extreme to ever be. One with such a number of convictions is going to continue to use up Gardai time and cause continuous disruption in their community. As someone on the left such as yourself should know, its not always about money ;). My answer is to take them of the streets. Your answer is to let them continue on their destructive merry way.

I don't claim to have answers. I prefer to hear from people who have half a clue about the topic rather than barstool experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,491 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

NONE of this is related to the OP....none of it....
    Yep. I wsa just answering your question.
    You are free to disbelieve any anecdotal statement from anyone....I don't care either way.

As you can see, I am not bothered that someone would have an alternate view of politics or public discourse in this country I believe it to be healthy.

But I am not going to dance for people who have a problem with believing an alternate view of politics exists.....I honestly don't give a f##k that you think you are in a position to be lecturing me about "the perils of assumptions" if it makes you feel good go for it!!!

Question your sources more and don't automatically believe everything you hear just because it fits your view. This is called "confrimation bias" and you need to be aware of it if you want to form an opinion of your own. Otherwise, it's someone else's and you've just adopted it.

Just some friendly advice - hope it doesn;t sound hostile. Good night :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think I can see the manifesto of your party forming -

- Not religious
    - Women belong in the kitchen
    - Death to shoplifters / miscreant teens
    - Forced labour camps for the unemployed

Sounds lovely.

I'd vote for that

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    matt cooper is as PC liberal as they come , ivan yates believes in nothing , hes a professional wind up merchant , hes not a conservative , hes not anything bar a chancer

Matt, like the bould Ciara, may be liberal on social matters, but when it comes to money, economy, business, he is a classic conservative.

https://www.businesspost.ie/author/mattcooper

And while does indeed play the wind up merchant, he generally leans strongly to the 'right' side of any debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm not looking for any lists (though I am a little confused as to how lists that are 'not readily available' were so easily found online).

I'm looking for specifics. You said ;

"Currently we have a huge industry around supports for kids in vulnerable areas, loads of people employed on good money, several Quangos all offering very little..."

I'm asking you, for the third time, what are the specific "several quangos" with "loads of people employed on good money" that are "offering very little"? [All direct quotes from your good self]

And if you can't name the quangos, how can you stand over the statement? How can you expect anyone to believe you when you can't back up your claim with facts?

We all know what happened here. You read this claim once here on boards.ie or on some even further right platform, and you were so delighted to have something to moan about that you took it as gospel without bothering to see if it is actually true.

You can't go round repeating rumours and getting away with it.

It is beyond obvious what you are at....

I don't have the resources to obtain a Freedom of Information Request.

A blind man can see that certain neighbourhoods receive huge amounts of government funding over others from facilities to full time community personal with fairly poor return...

The point I was making is that these people are well capable of helping themselves...

And you can't accuse me of dragging a thread off topic when it suits you and repeatedly do the same yourself....

Stop taking this so personally, it's just an online conversation about politics...

It is beyond obvious what you are at....

I don't have the resources to obtain a Freedom of Information Request.

A blind man can see that certain neighbourhoods receive huge amounts of government funding over others from facilities to full time community personal with fairly poor return...

The point I was making is that these people are well capable of helping themselves...

And you can't accuse me of dragging a thread off topic when it suits you and repeatedly do the same yourself....

Stop taking this so personally, it's just an online conversation about politics...

A blind man can see people making up stories with no basis in fact to suit their agenda.

Yep. I wsa just answering your question.

Question your sources more and don't automatically believe everything you hear just because it fits your view. This is called "confrimation bias" and you need to be aware of it if you want to form an opinion of your own. Otherwise, it's someone else's and you've just adopted it.

Just some friendly advice - hope it doesn;t sound hostile. Good night :)

I need to gather proof that I can present to strangers on an online forum to back up an anecdotal opinion about a trite point that is as obvious to anybody who has seen the facilities and investment I mentioned...

I even mentioned Regeneration Limerick as an example of a complete waste of taxpayers money...good luck trying to find evidence to back that up, the whole process was cloaked in secrecy, local media couldn't penetrate....

But we both know what this is about...like your pal, you just can't accept that not everyone is happy to follow the herd....

doylefe wrote: »
    I'd vote for that

Sounds a bit North Korean for me, cheers. Although even they allow women out of the kitchen.

A blind man can see people making up stories with no basis in fact to suit their agenda.

OK

You go find information on Regeneration Limerick and let me know where they spent circa €400 on a few hundred houses....because that information is not available to the public...prove me wrong!

• Advertisement

I need to gather proof that I can present to strangers on an online forum to back up an anecdotal opinion about a trite point that is as obvious to anybody who has seen the facilities and investment I mentioned...

I even mentioned Regeneration Limerick as an example of a complete waste of taxpayers money...good luck trying to find evidence to back that up, the whole process was cloaked in secrecy, local media couldn't penetrate....

But we both know what this is about...like your pal, you just can't accept that not everyone is happy to follow the herd....

You need to gather proof so that you can present it to yourself - if there's no proof and no evidence, how do you know it's true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Sounds a bit North Korean for me, cheers. Although even they allow women out of the kitchen.

Yeah to harvest the crops.

You need to gather proof so that you can present it to yourself - if there's no proof and no evidence, how do you know it's true?

You do know that you are dragging the thread off topic right....just in an attempt to score points or something...

I could see the huge investment myself, I spoke to someone who is in the best position to see the abuse of taxpayers money himself...do you need a name and phone number?

As a matter of interest, if I mentioned the National Childrens Hospital, what kind of evidence would I need to present...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

the PC liberal media are the church in ireland today , the secular clergy who let us know what the " correct " opinions to hold are , the church used to do that
    Indeed.
    • Original sin =Unconcious bias
    • Scripture = Papers that cite each other in endless loops
    • The devil = hate
    • Heresy leads to hate
    • Rampant biological denialism
    • Unfalsifiable smears
    • Empathy considered problematic

the PC liberal media are the church in ireland today , the secular clergy who let us know what the " correct " opinions to hold are , the church used to do that

as a people we hate not going with the crowd , we used to be conservative en masse , now we are the other way

by the way OP , id add the issue of direct provision to the list , the only thing we hear from the media is that direct provision is an abomination and that everyone who resides there is unquestionably sincere in terms of their backstory , colm o gorman can be relied upon to confirm this whilst been given a foot massage by aine lawlor or mary wilson

I naively used to believe it was the Church that was the problem for years...but we love our group think here in Ireland, we gorge in it...and we don't like those who don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There is a huge amount of groupthink here in the media. The UK, who so many here poke fun at, had a far more diverse and an intellectually stronger media.
    We have few left wing voices on economic matters (Gene Kerrigan the best exception) and few right wing voices on social issues.
    Left wingers on the economy will be belittled as childish fantasists while right wingers on social issues are quite savagely criticised.

There is a huge amount of groupthink here in the media. The UK, who so many here poke fun at, had a far more diverse and an intellectually stronger media.
    We have few left wing voices on economic matters (Gene Kerrigan the best exception) and few right wing voices on social issues.
    Left wingers on the economy will be belittled as childish fantasists while right wingers on social issues are quite savagely criticised.

They'll eat you alive for that on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Pretending there aren't crisis or epidemics won't make them go away...jesus did we not learn anything from that oppressive religious era!!!

The old church is dead, all hail the new Church.

You do know that you are dragging the thread off topic right....just in an attempt to score points or something...

Then why the hell do you keep asking me questions...??
    I could see the huge investment myself, I spoke to someone who is in the best position to see the abuse of taxpayers money himself...do you need a name and phone number?
    As a matter of interest, if I mentioned the National Childrens Hospital, what kind of evidence would I need to present...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

They'll eat you alive for that on here...

They just did. There is a hive that exists on Irish social media that swarms to shut down any debate on the journey this country is taking. It is as ferocious if not more so than the cabal of bishops that went before them. They were schooled well. The only difference this time is that they will devour their own if any stray from the path.

OK

You go find information on Regeneration Limerick and let me know where they spent circa €400 on a few hundred houses....because that information is not available to the public...prove me wrong!

Prove you wrong? Here's a mad idea - how about you prove you right?

That's generally how adult discussions work - you present some facts to support opinions.

Prove you wrong? Here's a mad idea - how about you prove you right?

That's generally how adult discussions work - you present some facts to support opinions.

It is blatantly obvious what you are at.

Here is a mad idea....

Stop trying to drag the thread off topic in a vain attempt to undermine me because you can't believe that a person might think a little different to you...

If it helps you call me names....I don't care what you think....

If you do reply to this post, then fill us on on the standard of evidence required if someone wished to mention the absolute debacle that is the National Childrens Hostpital....

Then why the hell do you keep asking me questions...??

Because it makes a pleasant change.

You didn't answer them I see....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Danno wrote: »
    They just did. There is a hive that exists on Irish social media that swarms to shut down any debate on the journey this country is taking. It is as ferocious if not more so than the cabal of bishops that went before them. They were schooled well. The only difference this time is that they will devour their own if any stray from the path.

Genuinely interested in this, have you any examples?

I would consume a of of Irish media and its very center ( ish) but there are plenty of columnists who are not.

I would hardly describe the Independent or News talk as left-wing, News talk is very pro-business and anti unions and public servants for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I don't claim to have answers. I prefer to hear from people who have half a clue about the topic rather than barstool experts.

Good you are hearing from me then. As I said, nothing to offer, and everything to take, from their community and society as a whole. When you get to that level of offending, you go to prison permanently.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Genuinely interested in this, have you any examples?

I would consume a of of irish media and its very center to center ( ish) but there are plenty of columns who are not.

I would hardly describe the Independent or News talk as left wing, News talk is very pro business and anti unions and public servents for example.

Paddy Casey during the Presidential Election.

mariaalice wrote: »

It's hard to take The Irish Times seriously, they call themselves Ireland's Newspaper of Record but they completely missed the endemic political corruption for years happening right under their noses in the planning department in Dublin....they've made a fool out of their readers who were loyal to them for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You think the media in Britain is better than Ireland? The Daily Mail and the Guardian are exactly what we shouldn't be aiming for. The only half decent media over there I'm aware of is LBC, though I only listened to it now and then. The BBC is OK aswell as much as people like to thrash it.

Advertisement