Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish conservatives not represented in the media/politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Paddy Casey during the Presidential Election.

It didn't stop people voting for him in fact it upped his vote, pandering is not policy.

How individuals feel about travelers or immigrants is not the bases of policy and should be called out.

On the other hand having a policy saying they want a political party with certain policies on crime that applies to everyone, or much stricter access to welfare, or less welfare as a policy or immigration policy based on an Australian point system
    is different.

There is a difference between policy and pandering.

You think the media in Britain is better than Ireland? The Daily Mail and the Guardian are exactly what we shouldn't be aiming for. The only half decent media over there I'm aware of is LBC, though I only listened to it now and then. The BBC is OK aswell as much as people like to thrash it.

BBC 4 both television and radio is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Matt, like the bould Ciara, may be liberal on social matters, but when it comes to money, economy, business, he is a classic conservative.

https://www.businesspost.ie/author/mattcooper

And while does indeed play the wind up merchant, he generally leans strongly to the 'right' side of any debate.

a social liberal can be free market

ive not heard ciara kelly speak out against big government - more public spending , she may have done so ? , i just have never heard it , shes most certainly a social liberal however and solidly PC on all the tick box issues which respectable media liberals must tick

matt cooper is in no way the kind of fiscally conservative advocate that the likes of karl deeter is or dan o brien , hes at best centrist on these matters , he is of course a painfully PC social liberal

those are two very weak examples you present to try and disprove the OP

There is a huge amount of groupthink here in the media. The UK, who so many here poke fun at, had a far more diverse and an intellectually stronger media.
    We have few left wing voices on economic matters (Gene Kerrigan the best exception) and few right wing voices on social issues.
    Left wingers on the economy will be belittled as childish fantasists while right wingers on social issues are quite savagely criticised.

how have we " few left wing voices on economic matters "

left wing views on economic matters are the norm in the media here unless you think a communist like vincent browne is where it should be at ?

Danno wrote: »
    They just did. There is a hive that exists on Irish social media that swarms to shut down any debate on the journey this country is taking. It is as ferocious if not more so than the cabal of bishops that went before them. They were schooled well. The only difference this time is that they will devour their own if any stray from the path.

its more than that , there are professional - paid " conservative hunter " outfits who are employed to seek out and destroy conservative opinions which revolt from the approved views on various matters

one mark malone of sound migration springs to mind , that guys actual day job involved scouring twitter and social media from anytime in the past for opinions offered , hes like a far left ned flanders looking for offensive material in the media only flanders had a leftorioum store , malone earns his living doing this sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

mariaalice wrote: »
    It didn't stop people voting for him in fact it upped his vote, pandering is not policy.

How individuals feel about travelers or immigrants is not the bases of policy and should be called out.

On the other hand having a policy saying they want a political party with certain policies on crime that applies to everyone, or much stricter access to welfare, or less welfare as a policy or immigration policy based on an Australian point system
    is different.

There is a difference between policy and pandering.

He questioned why Travellers were given Ethnic Status.

He secured 20% of 1st preference votes, we will never know how many 2nd preference votes he secured...but people had a variety of reasons to vote for him.

I was disgusted with how media treated him whilst simultaneously giving Michael D Higgins a free pass on the very seriously allegations that have been swirling around him for a few years now regarding his personal secretary....in my view, a much greater issue of Standards in Public Office, but not surprisingly ignored by media.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    a social liberal can be free market

ive not heard ciara kelly speak out against bit government - more public spending , she may have done so ? , i just have never heard it , shes most certainly a social liberal however and solidly PC on all the tick box issues which respectable media liberals must tick

matt cooper is in no way the kind of fiscally conservative advocate that the likes of karl deeter is or dan o brien , hes at best centrist on these matters , he is of course a painfully PC social liberal

those are two very weak examples you present to try and disprove the OP

A few post back if you check you will seek someone posted a list of right-wing( ish) commentators in the Irish media.

It's the case with a lot here, they don't feel the media represent their views so therefore the media must be prejudice.

Jutst maybe there is not much interested in Ireland.

There was about 5 right-wing parties in the last election and they raised barley a blip.

Irish freedom party, National party etc

He secured 20% of 1st preference votes, we will never know how many 2nd preference votes he secured...but people had a variety of reasons to vote for him.

I was disgusted with how media treated him whilst simultaneously giving Michael D Higgins a free pass on the very seriously allegations that have been swirling around him for a few years now regarding his personal secretary....in my view, a much greater issue of Standards in Public Office, but not surprisingly ignored by media.

Vulgar gossips should not be the bases of journalism.

I'm sure someone said the same about Church Sex Abuse scandals...where did that get us...

whats hilarious is how the left accuse the media of building up peter casey as if that proves they are conservative

the media built him up by accident , they were incredulous that anyone could fee this way about one of their sacred cows and then set out to publicly flog him for a week and also admonish anyone who might consider voting for him , when he delivers a 20% vote , they proceeded to wring their hands about the awful 20% out there who might feel the same way as casey about travellers

the media boosted casey by reacting the way they did to him , people know the media tribe are either deluded about travellers or else lie in order to get up the nose of the silent majority and they ( middle ireland )did not react kindly

• Advertisement

That didn't stop politicians and media behaving atrociously toward the people who did vote for Casey...they were pillared by media outlets afterwards....it was grotesque....it was vulgar indeed.

A few post back if you check you will seek someone posted a list of right-wing( ish) commentators in the Irish media.

It's the case with a lot here, they don't feel the media represent their views so therefore the media must be prejudice.

Jutst maybe there is not much interested in Ireland.

There was about 5 right wing parties in the last election and they raised barley a blip.

those are micro parties and crank outfits , there is not even a mainstream conservative political party in ireland and of course no mainstream conservative media outfit

dont say FF , FF have always been about high public spending and michael martin is as left wing both socially and economically as anyone in labour

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny that so many people who think that the US and UK are bastions of independent free-thinking journalism don't realise that their entire media are controlled by just a few people.

those are micro parties and crank outfits , there is not even a mainstream conservative political party in ireland and of course no mainstream conservative media outfit

dont say FF , FF have always been about high public spending and michael martin is as left wing both socially and economically as anyone in labour

Why don't some of you start a party and media channel on the internet if there is so much support for the right in Ireland.

Nobody is addressing the fact that Newstalk is very pro-business anti unions and anti-public servents and is a major part of the media in Ireland.

There could be a bit of hive mind in the Irish media but there are lots with a different point of view.

Read some of Breda Power comments on travelers and lone parents for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's nothing stopping a conservative media outfit gaining a foothold though, even becoming the dominant force.
    A couple of them are trying online anyway - the strangely titled liberal.ie and the slightly more successful gript.ie are two that spring to mind.
    If they make money then potentially they can move into print editions, radio etc.

We have enough entrepreneurs who would provide such a product if there was a demand for it.

seamus wrote: »
    It's funny that so many people who think that the US and UK are bastions of independent free-thinking journalism don't realise that their entire media are controlled by just a few people.

It's also funny that Irish people think Irish media is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who said that?

They don't but its not the bastion of some left conspiracy that's suppressing right-wing views and politics.

Why don't some of you start a party and media channel on the internet if there is so much support for the right in Ireland.

Nobody is addressing the fact that Newstalk is very pro-business anti unions and anti-public servents and is a major part of the media in Ireland.

who on newstalk is any of those things ?

pat kenny is clearly pro free market but i would not call him a social conservative , he is a PD , its well known he was a PD

the political affiliation of many in the media is fairly well known

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Who said that?

I am just adding to your point, I'm not suggesting you did...

who on newstalk is any of those things ?

pat kenny is clearly pro free market but i would not call him a social conservative , he is a PD , its well known he was a PD

the political affiliation of many in the media is fairly well known

They do fall down on the social conservative bit all right but on the other hand the Irish times has Maria Steen and Breda O'Brien, David Quinn pops ups on lots of discussion shows.

The point I am trying to make is that alternative views are there if you look fo them.

Newstalk makes no secrete of it pro-business anti-union and anti-civil servent stance.

They don't but its not the bastion of some left conspiracy that's suppressing right-wing views and politics.

But yet you can't even mention questioning the Ethnic status of the Travelling Community....

I don't think its a left wing conspiracy, I believe it is an industry devoid of intellectual depth....with a complete inability to hold people in High Office to account.

There's nothing stopping a conservative media outfit gaining a foothold though, even becoming the dominant force.
    A couple of them are trying online anyway - the strangely titled liberal.ie and the slightly more successful gript.ie are two that spring to mind.
    If they make money then potentially they can move into print editions, radio etc.

We have enough entrepreneurs who would provide such a product if there was a demand for it.

It ain't that simple, Media landscape is near impossible...

Newstalk has been losing money for decades, if it had a majority female listener -ship it would probably be profitable..

But yet you can't even mention questioning the Ethnic status of the Travelling Community....

I don't think its a left wing conspiracy, I believe it is an industry devoid of intellectual depth....with a complete inability to hold people in High Office to account.

You have heard of the journalist Brenda Power?

You heard of the journalist Brenda Power?

I can't say I have....

I lost faith in Irish media when they all completely ignored the endemic political and planning corruption in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It ain't that simple, Media landscape is near impossible...

Newstalk has been losing money for decades, if it had a majority female listener -ship it would probably be profitable..

this is what it all comes down to, advertising is far more effective on women, women make up 80% of consumer spending and tend to be more prone to appeal to emotion type argument which is why media outlets who rely on advertising always trend left.

Perpetuating things like the gender pay gap, rape culture and all the other made up things that are designed to keep women reeled in is good for advertising which keeps outlets going.

this is what it all comes down to, advertising is far more effective on women, women make up 80% of consumer spending and tend to be more prone to appeal to emotion type argument which is why media outlets who rely on advertising always trend left.

Perpetuating things like the gender pay gap, rape culture and all the other made up things that are designed to keep women reeled in is good for advertising which keeps outlets going.

You are correct...they are aware that women are more likely to share negative emotive content...

It is shameless manipulation in an attempt to stay or become profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because it makes a pleasant change.

You didn't answer them I see....

Fair enough:

I don't believe you. In either case. Why not?

Welll, your word has been proven to be exaggerated ("crises" and "epidemics") and anecdotal ("I know a guy....") and not only are you completely unable to present a single factual rebuttal, you react with hostility to simple requests for more information and sources, not just from me but also from others. Essentially, you want us to believe not in research or facts or ideas but purely in faith. A bit like a rleigion.

"Ignore all the evidence of your eyes and you ears, and believe only what we tell you: it was the party's final most important command."
    - Orwell, 1984.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

They do fall down on the social conservative bit all right but on the other hand the Irish times has Maria Steen and Breda O'Brien, David Quinn pops ups on lots of discussion shows.

The point I am trying to make is that alternative views are there if you look fo them.

Newstalk makes no secrete of it pro-business anti-union and anti-civil servent stance.

maria steen is an occasional contributor , she doesnt have a permanent position in the media , breda o brien is a minor media commentator

besides , those are a sub section of conservativism , they dont comment on fiscal policy , immigration etc

who on newstalk is anti union and what does that even mean , " anti union " ?

union chiefs are given far too much deferential treatment at RTE

Advertisement