Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reach out to the landlord?

Options
  • 26-04-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe at this time.

I'm facing a bit of an issue.

I've been living in the apartment for the last 4 years with two other tenants (we all moved in around the same time). Then, one of these two tenants moved out around fall time last year and we (I) picked the new tenant.

The new tenant seemed rather nice initially (the first two weeks). Then, things started going downhill. We have the usual roommate issues: the tenant suddenly stops talking to me (nothing happened, as they stopped talking to me within the first month), doesn't say "Hi" when I greet them in the morning or whenever I see them for the first time that day and doesn't clean the common areas.

These are minor issues which I can gloss over. We're not friends or family after all.

Now - the main issue - as we are all aware, we're in the midst of a pandemic and social distancing has become the norm. It seems everyone is on the same boat, except this new tenant. Yesterday, to my great surprise, this person invited two of their "friends" over for the afternoon without informing us or asking us our consent beforehand. Whilst in normal times, they wouldn't need to ask for permission or give a heads up, we're in the midst of a pandemic and things are different.

In addition to this, one of these guests had the idea to use my bathroom (the tenant's bathroom is en-suite whilst mine is not), again without my consent. These are not my guests, I do not know these people or where they have been.

Although some of you may argue these are internal roommate issues, this individual has clearly breached health and safety guidelines without our express consent. I am thus contemplating reaching out to the landlord to discuss the matter and any steps if required.

Am I overrracting?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What’s the landlord going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What’s the landlord going to do?

Apologies, I forgot to mention.

We can't get rid of this individual as we all have separate leases. Only the landlord can action this. Hence, my above thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did you speak to the other tenant about how you felt with the guests?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

No you are not overreacting. I'd be fuming as they are clearly not caring about others living there. Who knows where there friends have been. I have not seen my friends or Nephews for a while now because i listen to the guidelines.
    Have a word with them and if that doesn't work maybe then have a word with LL.

That is so mean, selfish and irresponsible what they are doing.

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Apologies, I forgot to mention.

We can't get rid of this individual as we all have separate leases. Only the landlord can action this. Hence, my above thread.

Ok but you picked the tenant...

To be honest you sound a bit like squabbling teenagers. Not trying to upset you or anything but if I was a landlord that’s the way I would see it. They won’t get involved

Sit down, discuss the subject and put house rules in place. Write them down and put them up on wall. Simple

If he/she doesn’t adhere just say you will need to go to landlord, but this is not really a landlord issue in my eyes yet

• Advertisement

Did you speak to the other tenant about how you felt with the guests?

As stated above, this individual never speaks to me nor acknowledges my existence. When I greet this person, I'm met with a no-response.

Worse, they started "gossiping" about me with the third tenant.

It's quite a difficult thing to engage a conversation with someone who basically acts as though you don't exist and created a wall from the moment they set foot in the apartment.

Ok but you picked the tenant...

To be honest you sound a bit like squabbling teenagers. Not trying to upset you or anything but if I was a landlord that’s the way I would see it. They won’t get involved

Sit down, discuss the subject and put house rules in place. Write them down and put them up on wall. Simple

If he/she doesn’t adhere just say you will need to go to landlord, but this is not really a landlord issue in my eyes yet

Well, to me it is an issue that they are putting our health at risk by inviting guests over and allowing them to use my bathroom without my consent. I pay rent as well. These are not normal times. It's not squabbling, it's being an abiding citizen. This individual should have enough common sense not to be behaving like this.

I sure picked the tenant, but the first impression doesn't give away anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m struggling to see what part the LL plays in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I get that the other person ignores you and that's pathetic but in these circumstances you need to make an effort to start a conversation (not necessarily a confrontation) and say you were very upset and worried about 2 people in your shared home during lock down and especially using your bathroom.
    Ask them why thru thought that was acceptable and ask are they planning to do it again because it's against the current rules of lock down.
    It's not your landlord's responsibility to mediate between you all.

To thine own self be true

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Well, to me it is an issue that they are putting our health at risk by inviting guests over and allowing them to use my bathroom without my consent. I pay rent as well. These are not normal times. It's not squabbling, it's being an abiding citizen. This individual should have enough common sense not to be behaving like this.

I sure picked the tenant, but the first impression doesn't give away anything really.

Did you agree house rules or update house rules since the virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m struggling to see what part the LL plays in this.

Same here, what;s the LL going to do. It's not exactly like they can stop a tenant from having guests as such. Unless you can claim anti social behaviour.

If it's non essential travel etc you'd have better luck with the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Same here, what;s the LL going to do. It's not exactly like they can stop a tenant from having guests as such. Unless you can claim anti social behaviour.

If it's non essential travel etc you'd have better luck with the Gardaí.

I would have thought a LL prohibiting who a tenant could invite into their home would be effecting their peaceful enjoyment, it might be a stretch, but it is hard to see how the LL could dictate who visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Under current legislation, the LL cannot do anything about the tenant.

The very fact that you use the phrase "reach out" instead of "talk to" gives an indication of how you're likely to be coming across. Tone it down a bit.

What does the third tenant think of the situation?

I don’t mean this to mean grab them by the neck or anything but if they’re acting the child then you just need to stand up and tell them never ever do that again. Don’t even give them the chance to reply or ignore you, just tell them straight and walk away. Might be enough, but take it from there then.

Under current legislation, the LL cannot do anything about the tenant.

The very fact that you use the phrase "reach out" instead of "talk to" gives an indication of how you're likely to be coming across. Tone it down a bit.

What does the third tenant think of the situation?

Under any legislation the LL can do nothing.....this sounds like a squabble.

I don’t mean this to mean grab them by the neck or anything but if they’re acting the child then you just need to stand up and tell them never ever do that again. Don’t even give them the chance to reply or ignore you, just tell them straight and walk away. Might be enough, but take it from there then.

Would that not increase the tension? would it not be better to sit like adults, tell them your concerns and agree a set of house rules for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Why didn't you mention anything?

Just call the Gardaí and explain your roommate has friends over and you're worried about your health.

No one is meant to have their buddies over so I'm sure the Gardaí can make them go home, if the Gardaí can turn people around on the road that are going for a drive.

Would that not increase the tension? would it not be better to sit like adults, tell them your concerns and agree a set of house rules for everyone

You’ve one person giving the silent treatment like they’re 11 years of age. Things are well past sitting like adults.

Why didn't you mention anything?

Just call the Gardaí and explain your roommate has friends over and you're worried about your health.

No one is meant to have their buddies over so I'm sure the Gardaí can make them go home, if the Gardaí can turn people around on the road that are going for a drive.

So now the Garda can throw people out of a house if they visit friends?????

You’ve one person giving the silent treatment like they’re 11 years of age. Things are well past sitting like adults.

We have one side of the story, I suspect the OP has done something which is why the other tenant aint talking.....roaring and shouting never resolved anything

• Advertisement

So now the Garda can throw people out of a house if they visit friends?????

Hopefully so. It’s not permitted.

We have one side of the story, I suspect the OP has done something which is why the other tenant aint talking.....roaring and shouting never resolved anything

No you’re just doing the usual Boards thing of blaming everything on the person that makes the opening post just because they’ve made the opening post. Like vultures. It sounds clear cut to anyone rational.

Hopefully so. It’s not permitted.

Is it??

Is it??

Of course it isn’t and you know it isn’t. Being flippant about them won’t change that.

Of course it isn’t and you know it isn’t. Being flippant about them won’t change that.

Im not, I never seen anything to suggest you couldn't visit people if you stayed within 2km....

Im not, I never seen anything to suggest you couldn't visit people if you stayed within 2km....

The 2km is for exercise. We’re trying to not spread a virus, how could visiting people be ok? You know well it’s not.

The 2km is for exercise. We’re trying to not spread a virus, how could visiting people be ok? You know well it’s not.

Im not saying it is ok or not, the response was about the Garda throwing people out of a house. I dont see any law or anything that would allow them to do it, of course I could be wrong? point me in direction please if it exists

Im not saying it is ok or not, the response was about the Garda throwing people out of a house. I dont see any law or anything that would allow them to do it, of course I could be wrong? point me in direction please if it exists

No I’m not going down the usual boards route of “provide written legislation” when you have no other argument to make. All I was doing was pointing out you playing dumb about people not meant to be visiting other houses, but I’m not getting wrapped up any further in your games. You can go back to calling the OP a liar instead.

This individual started ignoring me two weeks after she moved in. Sure enough, everyone is on their best behavior initially.

I lived with the other tenant for 3 years and we never ignored each other. I've been living with the other tenant for close to 4 years and we never ignored each other either.

I'm a quiet person and in normal times, I'm at the office from 7.30am to 8pm. Often away for the day/weekend.

I rarely bumped into them before Covid and when I did, she'd ignore me. Even if let's say I did something wrong, does that prevent them from saying "Hi"? Sure, they can just be short by not engaging in a full blown conversation, but avoiding common courtesy is disrespectful.

• Advertisement

No I’m not going down the usual boards route of “provide written legislation” when you have no other argument to make. All I was doing was pointing out you playing dumb about people not meant to be visiting other houses, but I’m not getting wrapped up any further in your games. You can go back to calling the OP a liar instead.

Oookkkkkk

I never said the OP lied

As per my original advice, sit down and have adult conversation with other tenant and work out rules

Advertisement