Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reach out to the landlord?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im not, I never seen anything to suggest you couldn't visit people if you stayed within 2km....
    FFS, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Im not, I never seen anything to suggest you couldn't visit people if you stayed within 2km....

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

It’s there in the first section. The one entitled “stay at home”. “you cannot arrange a gathering with anyone you do not live with”
    I find it hard to believe this is news to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, the third tenant here is your go between. You are being bullied through exclusion here.

If the new girl talks to the other tenant, and you also talk to them, then use this person as a mediator.

Evictions are currently stopped. I think you want your landlord to have a word with them, like the mother of a naughty child, but honestly that is not a landlords role.

Try to resolve with the third tenant, speak to them first and ask if they know what the problem is.. then establish that silent treatment and bring bullied in your own home is not acceptable behaviour.

And that visitors in Covid19 is illegal and should not be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jlm29 wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

It’s there in the first section. The one entitled “stay at home”. “you cannot arrange a gathering with anyone you do not live with”
    I find it hard to believe this is news to you.

It’s not news to me, what was news to me was the comment about ringing the Garda to get the people thrown out....

I know it’s not recommended but it’s not illegal, the Garda cannot show up and throw people out

I don’t see anything on the link or any posts to say the Garda could do anything in this situation? But I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

People are saying you can't phone the guards... I believe you can. I probably wouldn't.

The guest might not have realised your bathroom was private. I was in a house share with a simar setup so I used to lock the bathroom door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Your thinking of it in terms of a house, the offender is thinking of it in terms of an apartment with common areas.

Whether you like it or not the offender doesn't see you as part of their life. I know people like that, friends of friends who 100% blank you to the point of not responding or turning their back to you when you speak to them in your friends company.

Just don't bother and move on. The game has changed. But if they ever ask for a favour they can #### ####.

Although you sound like a good long term tenant a landlord would want to have, you could try one last ditch attempt. But Start looking for somewhere else anyway... Preferably an unshared apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

This is actually the worst of renting, I've seen, heard or experienced this ****e so much.

Talk to the third person in the house so if they know what the criac is. This situation is only going to get worse in the long run unless it is addressed.

I would also ring the landlord and update them on the situation and say you are just letting them know what is going on and that you haven't figured out exactly what you are going to do. The landlord has the lease with this person, they may not be able to evict currently but they need to know what is going on in the property if there if such grief going on. The landlord might have some background in formation that might help or they might just say I've been in contact and have more info that they will or wont share.

Even if you have a gentle conversation, I would put money on it they call the landlord, who then calls you anyway.

I've actually had this before and the landlord was getting complaints about while the I was getting the silent treatment. People ended up moving out over it.

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe at this time.

I'm facing a bit of an issue.

I've been living in the apartment for the last 4 years with two other tenants (we all moved in around the same time). Then, one of these two tenants moved out around fall time last year and we (I) picked the new tenant.

The new tenant seemed rather nice initially (the first two weeks). Then, things started going downhill. We have the usual roommate issues: the tenant suddenly stops talking to me (nothing happened, as they stopped talking to me within the first month), doesn't say "Hi" when I greet them in the morning or whenever I see them for the first time that day and doesn't clean the common areas.

These are minor issues which I can gloss over. We're not friends or family after all.

Now - the main issue - as we are all aware, we're in the midst of a pandemic and social distancing has become the norm. It seems everyone is on the same boat, except this new tenant. Yesterday, to my great surprise, this person invited two of their "friends" over for the afternoon without informing us or asking us our consent beforehand. Whilst in normal times, they wouldn't need to ask for permission or give a heads up, we're in the midst of a pandemic and things are different.

In addition to this, one of these guests had the idea to use my bathroom (the tenant's bathroom is en-suite whilst mine is not), again without my consent. These are not my guests, I do not know these people or where they have been.

Although some of you may argue these are internal roommate issues, this individual has clearly breached health and safety guidelines without our express consent. I am thus contemplating reaching out to the landlord to discuss the matter and any steps if required.

Am I overrracting?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

sharpish wrote: »
    This is actually the worst of renting, I've seen, heard or experienced this ****e so much.

Talk to the third person in the house so if they know what the criac is. This situation is only going to get worse in the long run unless it is addressed.

I would also ring the landlord and update them on the situation and say you are just letting them know what is going on and that you haven't figured out exactly what you are going to do. The landlord has the lease with this person, they may not be able to evict currently but they need to know what is going on in the property if there if such grief going on. The landlord might have some background in formation that might help or they might just say I've been in contact and have more info that they will or wont share.

Even if you have a gentle conversation, I would put money on it they call the landlord, who then calls you anyway.

I've actually had this before and the landlord was getting complaints about while the I was getting the silent treatment. People ended up moving out over it.

I’m still struggling to see what role you expect the LL to play in this. I suspect most, if not all, would not divulge any information held about the tenant to anyone else, and would tell you to cop on and sort it out yourself. Provided the tenants are acting in accordance with the terms of the lease, the LL has no role to play in sorting squabbles between tenants sharing the house.

sharpish wrote: »

The LL has nothing to do with this, I very much doubt the other tenant is ringing the LL and only moved in

The OP is an adult, have a conversation with the person, involved everyone so you all agree rules etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:
    To be honest you sound a bit like squabbling teenagers. Not trying to upset you or anything but if I was a landlord that’s the way I would see it. They won’t get involved

I don't think the is much reasoning with a moron that invites people not from his home unit into the shared home unit in the middle of a pandemic tbh.

It very much is a LL situation.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think the is much reasoning with a moron that invites people not from his home unit into the shared home unit in the middle of a pandemic tbh.

How? what rules and regulations has the person broke? they have broke the recommendations but no laws.

So you want to give LL the power to determine who you can/cant bring into a property? not sure people would be too happy with that law

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've lived in several houseshares, and been in countless more, and ahve never heard of anyone claiming the main bathroom as their own because another tenant has an ensuite. It's a toilet ffs, you go to any public place and you share one with hundreds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've lived in several houseshares, and been in countless more, and ahve never heard of anyone claiming the main bathroom as their own because another tenant has an ensuite. It's a toilet ffs, you go to any public place and you share one with hundreds of people.

If you had the ensuite would you be ok with a stranger taking a dump in it. It's just a toilet.

How? what rules and regulations has the person broke? they have broke the recommendations but no laws.

So you want to give LL the power to determine who you can/cant bring into a property? not sure people would be too happy with that law

It’s in the covid 19 regulations amendment to the public health act. The bit that Simon Harris signed on April 8th to give the gardai powers of enforcement. It’s right up at the top that people don’t leave their house unless it’s Essential. So yes, it is technically a law, and technically the gardai could come and enforce it. But I’d imagine they wouldn’t but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

The LL has nothing to do with this...

Generally Landlords try to keep good tenants long term. If op moves out then Landlord might be faced with looking for new tenants during a recession. Maybe having to consider cheaper rents if they can't find someone.
    Then with a new tenant it brings its own potential for problems.

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s in the covid 19 regulations amendment to the public health act. The bit that Simon Harris signed on April 8th to give the gardai powers of enforcement. It’s right up at the top that people don’t leave their house unless it’s Essential. So yes, it is technically a law, and technically the gardai could come and enforce it. But I’d imagine they wouldn’t but who knows

What has this to do with the LL though?

How?

Dav010 wrote: »
    What has this to do with the LL though?

Nothing. I just replied to that poster who said they weren’t breaking any laws.

This is no different to the LL allowing a tenant to smoke / sell hash in a shared home after it's been reported to them.

It is actually law. How do you suppose the Gardai have arrested & charged people for exceeding 2k from their home? It's very much in the LLs interest to sort this or at least look like they have tried to sort it. There are Irish people that have joined a class action against a Sky resort because they contracted Covid 19 there.

Ticking time bomb for a LL who doesn't act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Act in what way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s not news to me, what was news to me was the comment about ringing the Garda to get the people thrown out....

I know it’s not recommended but it’s not illegal, the Garda cannot show up and throw people out

I don’t see anything on the link or any posts to say the Garda could do anything in this situation? But I could be wrong

It’s unlawful to be away from your place of residence except with a lawful excuse which are prescribed under the regs, going to an essential retail outlet, etc. The Gardai are provided with powers to enquire and enforce under section 31A Health Act 1947 as amended last month. It is an offence carrying a class C fine (I think that’s €1,000) and/or six months imprisonment. Subject to whether gardai have grounds to enter, they certainly have powers of enquiry, arrest and detention. Obviously they don’t want to use them and they’d rather not be bothered with sh1t like this but it’s not an idle threat.

pwurple wrote:
    Act in what way?

In the same way you would act upon finding out that a tenant is using /selling drugs.

This tenant is putting lives at risk. You don't suppose the LL has a duty of care to the other tenants?

In the same way you would act upon finding out that a tenant is using /selling drugs.

This tenant is putting lives at risk. You don't suppose the LL has a duty of care to the other tenants?

Eh, no. It’s up to the tenants to sort it themselves, if the op wants to call the Gardaí, off with him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What is to stop the Garda showing up an teling people who don't live there to go home?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's the OP who witnessed a crime taking place and didn't inform the guards, not the LL.

If the OP contacts the LL, the LL's first question should be "what was the name of the garda you spoke to?" - because without independent investigation, its just he-said-she-said between the squabbling tenants.

This is no different to the LL allowing a tenant to smoke / sell hash in a shared home after it's been reported to them.

It is actually law. How do you suppose the Gardai have arrested & charged people for exceeding 2k from their home? It's very much in the LLs interest to sort this or at least look like they have tried to sort it. There are Irish people that have joined a class action against a Sky resort because they contracted Covid 19 there.

So you are trying to say tenants can now sue a LL because they got covid in a property?

This has taken a whole new direction :p:p:p

It's the OP who witnessed a crime taking place and didn't inform the guards, not the LL.

You don't suppose that the tenant should notify the landlord that a crime has taken place in his premises? You don't suppose this information might be relevant to any RTB cases taken against the idiot bringing friends in?

Of course the LL needs to be notified. LL should be notified right after the Gardai. The Gardai will at the very least warn the idiot. If Gardai are called again then the idiot can't claim that he didn't know. Gardai have the power to arrest in cases like this.

How anyone thinks this isn't a LL issue is beyond me. As a LL I would expect to be notified about something like this.

Shefwedfan wrote:
    So you are trying to say tenants can now sue a LL because they got covid in a property?

I never said that. The mind boggles that a class action is being taken against the sky resort but it is happening.
    People sue for banging their knees on the leg of a table, falling off a swing while holding a drink in each hand, for tripping while out hiking etc.

It's the world we live in

You don't suppose that the tenant should notify the landlord that a crime has taken place in his premises? You don't suppose this information might be relevant to any RTB cases taken against the idiot bringing friends in?

Of course the LL needs to be notified. LL should be notified right after the Gardai. The Gardai will at the very least warn the idiot. If Gardai are called again then the idiot can't claim that he didn't know. Gardai have the power to arrest in cases like this.

How anyone thinks this isn't a LL issue is beyond me. As a LL I would expect to be notified about something like this.

Sorry no law is been broken here. You dont know if these people are over 2km from home. Neither does the OP.

The new laws did not give the Garda power to enter someone home and remove individuals if they are invited in. So why would the Garda be called?

Also as a LL if someone rang me about this, I would tell them to cop on, grow up and have a face to face conversation with the person thery picked to move in with them. Act like adults

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Sorry no law is been broken here. You dont know if these people are over 2km from home. Neither does the OP.

The new laws did not give the Garda power to enter someone home and remove individuals if they are invited in. So why would the Garda be called?

Also as a LL if someone rang me about this, I would tell them to cop on, grow up and have a face to face conversation with the person thery picked to move in with them. Act like adults

It doesn't matter if the people are less tan 2km from home. they are only supposed to be outside their home for the purpose of exercise, not sitting in someone else' house. The guards have powers to direct anyone who is outside their house to go home.

Advertisement