Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reach out to the landlord?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry no law is been broken here. You dont know if these people are over 2km from home. Neither does the OP.

The new laws did not give the Garda power to enter someone home and remove individuals if they are invited in. So why would the Garda be called?

Also as a LL if someone rang me about this, I would tell them to cop on, grow up and have a face to face conversation with the person thery picked to move in with them. Act like adults

You believe that there is only a 2km enforceable law?

You don't live in Ireland do you?

Gatherings of anyone from different households are prohibited. Gardai do indeed have the power to arrest these people. Gardai do indeed have the power to enter homes & remove these offenders.

Look nit pick all you want. OP asked "Should I reach out to the LL". The answer is YES. That's it. LL is entitled to know. OP doesn't want LL to remove these people. They have already left. OP says
    "I am thus contemplating reaching out to the landlord to discuss the matter and any steps if required.

As a LL you should want to know. This information could be very helpfull in any RTB cases. Small LLs moan about what a raw deal they have yet you as a LL wouldn't want information that will help you remove a problem tenant. This doesn't make sense. This is why large LLs don't get as much trouble as small LLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You believe that there is only a 2km enforceable law?

You don't live in Ireland do you?

Gatherings of anyone from different households are prohibited. Gardai do indeed have the power to arrest these people. Gardai do indeed have the power to enter homes & remove these offenders.

Look nit pick all you want. OP asked "Should I reach out to the LL". The answer is YES. That's it. LL is entitled to know. OP doesn't want LL to remove these people. They have already left. OP says

As a LL you should want to know. This information could be very helpfull in any RTB cases. Small LLs moan about what a raw deal they have yet you as a LL wouldn't want information that will help you remove a problem tenant. This doesn't make sense. This is why large LLs don't get as much trouble as small LLs.

Ah here, you are taking to seriously. The op just needs to grow a pair and tell the housemate not to be bringing people inside.

Dav010 wrote:
    Ah here, you are taking to seriously. The op just needs to grow a pair and tell the housemate not to be bringing people inside.

It's nothing about growing a pair. OP should have called the Gardai but the LL has a right to know regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's nothing about growing a pair. OP should have called the Gardai but the LL has a right to know regardless.

I hope you dont own a lot of properties if you expect a phone call from every tenant everytime they have a tiff with another tenant, you are going to be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sorry no law is been broken here. You dont know if these people are over 2km from home. Neither does the OP.

The new laws did not give the Garda power to enter someone home and remove individuals if they are invited in. So why would the Garda be called?

Also as a LL if someone rang me about this, I would tell them to cop on, grow up and have a face to face conversation with the person thery picked to move in with them. Act like adults
    Jesus, you’re really not getting this STAY AT HOME concept. What rock have you been under for the last five weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You’re mixing up your laws. The 2km relates to exercise. You can leave your house to exercise, once you remain within two Km of your home. I presume they’re not doing joe wicks lean in 15 videos in the front room.
    You cannot leave your house to meet your friends. You are not permitted to gather socially with anyone from outside of your household.
    I think it’s unlikely the gardai are going to start going into anyone’s house to enforce these laws, but they could if they wished.

Edited to add- as far as I know the 2km relates to outdoor exercise. So if they are doing aerobics in the front room, they shouldn’t be

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I hope you dont own a lot of properties if you expect a phone call from every tenant everytime they have a tiff with another tenant, you are going to be busy

I have no interest in a tiff but I'm very interested if someone is breaking the law in one of my properties. I'm very interested if a tenant is willing to put housemates lives in danger.

On a normal day I could care less but this isn't a tiff. You only see it as a tiff because you don't watch the news & haven't informed yourself on the emergency legislation brought in to help save lives. This isn’t about someone having their mates around. OP stated that this wouldn't be an issue except for the small matter of the pandemic.

Your sort of waffling. Stop & think before you post. I don't believe you have posted a single factual thing on this thread. You are stating that things as fact when the opposite is the case. Try Google Covid19. It's a little virus thing we have going on at the moment. Search on the HSE or Gov.ie website for new rules they snook in a few weeks ago without telling anyone.

jlm29 wrote: »
    You’re mixing up your laws. The 2km relates to exercise. You can leave your house to exercise, once you remain within two Km of your home. I presume they’re not doing joe wicks lean in 15 videos in the front room.
    You cannot leave your house to meet your friends. You are not permitted to gather socially with anyone from outside of your household.
    I think it’s unlikely the gardai are going to start going into anyone’s house to enforce these laws, but they could if they wished.

Edited to add- as far as I know the 2km relates to outdoor exercise. So if they are doing aerobics in the front room, they shouldn’t be

I think the Gardai would have enter the home to remove them if another resident in the home rang them & reported it. I can't see the Gardai not attending. You show the Gardai that these are not welcome in your home & that they aren't from your home hub, I'd be gobsmacked if the Gardai left them on the premises tbh. This would be like the Gardai seeing you were drunk behind the wheel of a car & still letting you drive. They stopped doing this about 25 years ago.

I think the Gardai would have enter the home to remove them if another resident in the home rang them & reported it. I can't see the Gardai not attending. You show the Gardai that these are not welcome in your home & that they aren't from your home hub, I'd be gobsmacked if the Gardai left them on the premises tbh. This would be like the Gardai seeing you were drunk behind the wheel of a car & still letting you drive. They stopped doing this about 25 years ago.

That call is the op’s to make, not the landlords. The op and housemates are renting the house, it’s their call who they invite into it. If the op isn’t happy, then he/she deals with it. The LL has no part to play in who the tenants invite to visit.

Dav010 wrote: »
    That call is the op’s to make, not the landlords. The op and housemates are renting the house, it’s their call who they invite into it. If the op isn’t happy, then he/she deals with it. The LL has no part to play in who the tenants invite to visit.

In bold is where you are talking out your backside. There are regulations against this.

Have you read the thread at all? Or are you just trying to be funny?

OP is asking if they should notify the LL.

It's not the tenants call if they invite someone in during shutdown/restriction. It's not up to the tenant to invite mates to use OPs bathroom. If this was 2 months ago there wouldn't be a problem. It's not two months ago & due to the restrictions the tenant had no right to invite anyone into a shared home. Do you not understand that there are emergency laws against this very act?

• Advertisement

In bold is where you are talking out your backside. There are regulations against this.

Have you read the thread at all? Or are you just trying to be funny?

OP is asking if they should notify the LL.

It's not the tenants call if they invite someone in during shutdown/restriction. It's not up to the tenant to invite mates to use OPs bathroom. If this was 2 months ago there wouldn't be a problem. It's not two months ago & due to the restrictions the tenant had no right to invite anyone into a shared home. Do you not understand that there are emergency laws against this very act?

Yes I do understand, do you understand that the LL has no role to play in who the people renting his/her house invite in? The op needs to sort this out with the housemate.

The tenant shouldn’t have brought anyone in, but the other two tenants should be informing the housemate of this, it’s not up to the LL. they have rented the whole house. It is just an effort on the ops, and your part, to shift responding onto the LL. that is not what a LL is required to do. If a housemate is acting up, the tenants sort it out. If I am not mistaken, the op is the person who pickedt this tenant, not the LL.

Do you think the LL can evict this tenant? The RTB would disagree. This is more snowflake, pass-the-buck behaviour, the 2 housemates need to confront the other one and law down a few house rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

God I hate that f*cking phrase “reach out”.
    You’re not living in the US op I presume? You should talk to him though, or make contact with him.

Yes a law has been broken, multiple in fact: leaving home for an unlawful reason and holding a gathering of people from outside the same household being two. The guards very much can send people home also (and fine them too), they have already done it plenty of times if you just google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Summer2020 wrote: »
    God I hate that f*cking phrase “reach out”.
    You’re not living in the US op I presume? You should talk to him though, or make contact with him.

How could the O/PB living in the US. He is obviously living in Ireland although his use of language does indicate that he is American, which might explain the housemates attitude to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

OP Would you not sit down with the other housemate and the offending one and trash is out. Even if the offending one refused to sit I would stand at the door and made sure they didnt pass until I had my say.

And op no I defo wouldnt want anyone even friends in my house until this is well over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

In the same way you would act upon finding out that a tenant is using /selling drugs.

And what action is that exactly, because I'm curious as to what options you think are available...

Call the guards based on hearsay?
    Evict?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I'd notify the LL, let him know illegal activity took place on the property, more as an FYI. He may not wish to rent long term to someone breaking the law and it may be part of the contract that you can be evicted if carrying out illegal activity on the property.

I'd then discuss with all tenants together on the rules for lockdown and how having people from outside the household inside is currently illegal and set ground rules.

I'd notify the LL, let him know illegal activity took place on the property, more as an FYI. He may not wish to rent long term to someone breaking the law and it may be part of the contract that you can be evicted if carrying out illegal activity on the property..

You can’t evict anyone at the moment. And good luck trying to evict someone afterwards because they invited a few friends round for a brief period during the 3 months. I’m sure both the LL and the RTB would be incredulous at the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You can’t evict anyone at the moment. And good luck trying to evict someone afterwards because they invited a few friends round for a brief period during the 3 months. I’m sure both the LL and the RTB would be incredulous at the suggestion.

The landlord could serve a notice on the tenant telling them to desist from this conduct. If repeated, it would ground a Notice of Termination on the grounds of a breach of the tenancy conditions.

The landlord could serve a notice on the tenant telling them to desist from this conduct. If repeated, it would ground a Notice of Termination on the grounds of a breach of the tenancy conditions.

Jesus wept.

The flat mates get together and lay down a few house rules. When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Hi all,

I haven't posted a follow up as I got busy with well... looking for a new place.

I'm a bit heartbroken that I have been living in this apartment for close to 4 years and due to the new tenant's behavior, I have to move out for my own sanity.

Of course, the incident where they invited people over last week was not an isolated one. It happened again on Friday. They invited those two males again around midnight and once again, they tried to use my bathroom, except it was locked this time so they were forced to use this person's bathroom. This individual and their friends stayed up until 7a.m making noise all night. The following morning, I get up and head to the kitchen/living room only to notice a strange substance spread all over the floor, kitchen table and coffee table (pictures taken as evidence).

I appreciate that there can be an isolated incident due to boredom or quarantine frustration, but this is not isolated. As a female, having two male strangers in the apartment doing God knows what in the living room until the morning is a scary thought. I didn't sleep at all that night, because if those people are intoxicated (and whatever else they were using), there is no safety in your home.

I will definitely advise the landlord of the reasons why I have decided to leave and he might be faced with the difficulty of finding a new tenant during this time. My contract only stipulates that in the instance where I cannot find a replacement, the landlord will keep my deposit. It is what it is, but the anxiety I am getting from this whole entire situation is taking over my life. The landlord will probably not take any action against this person as the current measures, which is highly unfortunate.

As far as the third tenant goes, we had a chat and this person said to me: "I don't want any hassle. I'm aware that this person's actions (e.g inviting people over) is not a good idea, but I don't want any hassle". There's therefore no point in even considering involving them as my take on it is the third tenant is interested in the new tenant. It's a dead end. I thought they would back me as we've been living together for close to four years, but no hope.

You should have called the guards and reported a house party happening in the house, mentioning you expect drug use and were in fear for your safety. It could always be claimed the report was by an observant neighbour.

You should have called the guards and reported a house party happening in the house, mentioning you expect drug use and were in fear for your safety.

Bit dramatic?

Bit dramatic?

Might work though. That’s the main thing.

Why are you so determined for those people to be protected?

Bit dramatic?

They are breaking the law by visiting and risking spreading the virus and prolonging our time in lockdown. The guards are going to houses and sending people home in these situations, presumably with fines in their back pockets in some instances.

I’d have no problem exaggerating it to make sure the guards come as anyone ignoring the lockdown I’d like to see punished as I’m sick of it when so many are making such an effort and other idiots are ignoring it.

Might work though. That’s the main thing.

Why are you so determined for those people to be protected?

Where did I say they should be protected?

I don’t see it as an issue for the LL to get involved in. Tenants rent a property, it is up to them to sort out who comes and goes.

As for what nox posted, who wouldn’t like the police coming to your house in the middle of the night on a drugs raid? It’ll do wonders for neighbour relations.

Where did I say they should be protected?

I don’t see it as an issue for the LL to get involved in. Tenants rent a property, it is up to them to sort out who comes and goes.

As for what nox posted, who wouldn’t like the police coming to your house in the middle of the night on a drugs raid? It’ll do wonders for neighbour relations.

You just tell your neighbors it was a lockdown raid. People are determined to let those ignoring the lockdown a free pass.

The whole thing is not being enforced half strongly enough to begin with but then when you have blatant multiple breaches putting people at risk something has to be done.

You just tell your neighbors it was a lockdown raid. People are determined to let those ignoring the lockdown a free pass.

The whole thing is not being enforced half strongly enough to begin with but then when you have blatant multiple breaches putting people at risk something has to be done.

But you said that you would mention drugs and that you were in fear for your life. That brings a whole different response to a Covid related one. You also said you would have no problem with this exaggeration.

But you said that you would mention drugs and that you were in fear for your life. That brings a whole different response to a Covid related one. You also said you would have no problem with this exaggeration.

None whatsoever, doesn’t mean you have to tell the neighbours you did that if asked though.

Sounds like it might be the truth anyway judging by the type of character they sound like.

• Advertisement

None whatsoever, doesn’t mean you have to tell the neighbours you did that if asked though.

You haven’t thought this through, have you?

Advertisement