Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reach out to the landlord?

Options
124»

Comments

Dav010 wrote: »
    You haven’t thought this through, have you?

Guards arrive and knock on door, send home lockdown breeches (hopefully with a court date of hefty fine), if they find they are using drugs then they rightfully arrest them.

If a nosy neighbour asks what happened, say lockdown breech and they found them using drugs. Most likely the neighbours will never ask.

I don’t really have any idea what the issue is anyway, what have the neighbours got to do with it. Why has it any impact on them what the op reports or what they find in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Yesterday, to my great surprise, this person invited two of their "friends" over for the afternoon without informing us or asking us our consent beforehand. Whilst in normal times, they wouldn't need to ask for permission or give a heads up, we're in the midst of a pandemic and things are different.
    It happened again on Friday. They invited those two males again around midnight and once again, they tried to use my bathroom, except it was locked this time so they were forced to use this person's bathroom. This individual and their friends stayed up until 7a.m making noise all night. The following morning, I get up and head to the kitchen/living room only to notice a strange substance spread all over the floor, kitchen table and coffee table (pictures taken as evidence).

I appreciate that there can be an isolated incident due to boredom or quarantine frustration, but this is not isolated. As a female, having two male strangers in the apartment doing God knows what in the living room until the morning is a scary thought. I didn't sleep at all that night, because if those people are intoxicated (and whatever else they were using), there is no safety in your home.

As far as the third tenant goes, we had a chat and this person said to me: "I don't want any hassle. I'm aware that this person's actions (e.g inviting people over) is not a good idea, but I don't want any hassle". There's therefore no point in even considering involving them as my take on it is the third tenant is interested in the new tenant. It's a dead end. I thought they would back me as we've been living together for close to four years, but no hope.

So the problematic tenant is female, and she has two males over, which you refer to as "friends". They have what I presume is a coke party for the entire night of the second visit, and then you say the third tenant is interested in her, which is the reason he won't side with you, in your opinion. So is this like a threesome going on each time she gets her two male friends to come over?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

wonderful thread, ahahaha.

just to be on topic for the local mods: OP, if you can't talk to a person just because she's not saying hi to you, you better off living on your own.

XVII wrote: »

just to be on topic for the local mods: OP, if you can't talk to a person just because she's not saying hi to you, you better off living on your own.

I think it’s clear the blatant breaking of lockdown laws are the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Breaking the lockdown and now doing drugs in common areas. Neither are acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Caranica wrote: »
    Breaking the lockdown and now doing drugs in common areas. Neither are acceptable.

Is a big assumption that drugs are being taken, why would anyone spread their drugs all over the table and floor? Tobacco maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Hi all,

I haven't posted a follow up as I got busy with well... looking for a new place.

I'm a bit heartbroken that I have been living in this apartment for close to 4 years and due to the new tenant's behavior, I have to move out for my own sanity.

Of course, the incident where they invited people over last week was not an isolated one. It happened again on Friday. They invited those two males again around midnight and once again, they tried to use my bathroom, except it was locked this time so they were forced to use this person's bathroom. This individual and their friends stayed up until 7a.m making noise all night. The following morning, I get up and head to the kitchen/living room only to notice a strange substance spread all over the floor, kitchen table and coffee table (pictures taken as evidence).

I appreciate that there can be an isolated incident due to boredom or quarantine frustration, but this is not isolated. As a female, having two male strangers in the apartment doing God knows what in the living room until the morning is a scary thought. I didn't sleep at all that night, because if those people are intoxicated (and whatever else they were using), there is no safety in your home.

I will definitely advise the landlord of the reasons why I have decided to leave and he might be faced with the difficulty of finding a new tenant during this time. My contract only stipulates that in the instance where I cannot find a replacement, the landlord will keep my deposit. It is what it is, but the anxiety I am getting from this whole entire situation is taking over my life. The landlord will probably not take any action against this person as the current measures, which is highly unfortunate.

As far as the third tenant goes, we had a chat and this person said to me: "I don't want any hassle. I'm aware that this person's actions (e.g inviting people over) is not a good idea, but I don't want any hassle". There's therefore no point in even considering involving them as my take on it is the third tenant is interested in the new tenant. It's a dead end. I thought they would back me as we've been living together for close to four years, but no hope.

OP, the landlord can't force you to find a replacement tenant. Just give your notice (which is likely one month) and they can't then keep your deposit unless you have a fixed term lease (which I doubt).

Definitely tell the landlord but they may not be able to do anything given the current eviction laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

XVII wrote: »

That's not the issue at all.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is a big assumption that drugs are being taken, why would anyone spread their drugs all over the table and floor? Tobacco maybe
    Ok.

dubrov wrote: »
    OP, the landlord can't force you to find a replacement tenant. Just give your notice (which is likely one month) and they can't then keep your deposit unless you have a fixed term lease (which I doubt).

Definitely tell the landlord but they may not be able to do anything given the current eviction laws.

I will certainly advise the landlord of the grounds for my departure whenever I get the chance to give my notice. He probably won't be able to do anything in light of the current restrictions, but he may choose to avoid renewing the new tenant's lease.

As far as I'm concerned, I will not be looking for a new tenant. My lease stipulates that in the instance where I do not find a replacement, I will loose my deposit. I think there should be an exceptional circumstances clause allowing people to get their deposits back if they can't find a new tenant due to the Covid restrictions.

Either way, finding a new tenant is at the bottom of my priorities. I'm forced to leave an apartment I absolutely lived for the last 3.5 years because of a punk, so looking for a replacement is not something I'm willing to assist with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement