Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offices Reopening-Will you go?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I work for a multinational in Dublin. We can do our job fully from home as all in cloud. How do people think companies are going to reopen offices and what timeline? Until now my company had a funny attitude to any requests to wfh.' Presenteeism' was very much the rule.

My own feeling on this is that unless there is either a vaccine or therapeutic avaiible I will refuse a request to be present in the office. Will many people take this stance? I have elderly parents so feel as though I couldn't see them if I'm forced to sit in an open plan office during this crisis.

Are you going back to work tomorrow or soon? 190 votes

Yes, I'm happy to
    74% 141 votes
    Yes, I'm reluctant
    6% 13 votes
    No, and I'm glad not to
    3% 7 votes
    No, but I really want to
    15% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Murphman88 wrote: »
    I work for a multinational in Dublin. We can do our job fully from home as all in cloud. How do people think companies are going to reopen offices and what timeline? Until now my company had a funny attitude to any requests to wfh.' Presenteeism' was very much the rule.

My own feeling on is that unless there is either a vaccine or therapeutic avaiible I will refuse a request to be present in the office. Will many people take this stance? I have elderly parents so feel as though I couldn't see them if I'm forced to sit in an open plan office during this crisis.

If you can do 100% the same job then just sell it to them.

My own feeling on is that unless there is either a vaccine or therapeutic avaiible I will refuse a request to be present in the office. Will many people take this stance? I have elderly parents so feel as though I couldn't see them if I'm forced to sit in an open plan office during this crisis.

You might need to leave your job. If the office is open and policy is to work in the office and the government doesn’t forbid it, then you have to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

My own feeling on this is that unless there is either a vaccine or therapeutic avaiible I will refuse a request to be present in the office. Will many people take this stance? I have elderly parents so feel as though I couldn't see them if I'm forced to sit in an open plan office during this crisis.

You do know there will might never be a vaccine.

I would imagine the office will not reopen unless social distancing is in operation.

But if it's deemed safe and you still refuse to come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Don’t mean to be blunt but if they want you there and you’ve signed up to it and it’s deemed safe why wouldn’t they be within their rights to expect you in ?

I work from home already in my role but I can’t wait to get out and meet colleagues and clients face to face again. Only so much you can do over the phone and emails. Sooner we are back in business the better

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

trapp wrote: »

I would imagine the office will not reopen unless social distancing is in operation.

Exactly, the vaccine is a pipe dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

when you think about it, the best situation for you is if you get the virus, then you can self isolate for 2 weeks, then you can visit your parents safely.

Anyone expecting to live life without risk is living a fairytale.

Without meaning to be blunt if you want to stay at home indefinitely while others get back to work you might have to give up your job.

The virus will not be going away.

Measures will be taken to ensure as little transmission happens as possible but the virus will still spread, hopefully in a limited way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphman88

trapp wrote: »

But if it's deemed safe and you still refuse to come in?

Do we think many offices will be able to create a safe social distancing space for employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

We've never shut down where I work, we're required onsite, and if we don't like it we can take unpaid leave. Seems fair enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I work for a multinational and they are expecting social distancing will be required so the numbers allowed to work in the office will be reduced as a result. While exact plans are not worked unofficially lower level managers are saying any staff that have children to mind will be accommodated to continue to WFH and those who use public transport will also be accommodated to continue to WFH if they want. The latter will not be allowed back during the first phase of reopening.

Short to medium term it will probally be leadership with each department allowed to have x amount of people on site at one. If demand is high they will likely to a week in/out to meet demand.

• Advertisement

Do we think many offices will be able to create a safe social distancing space for employees?

Thinking aloud possibly working in the office twice a week and wfh the other days

Reduces the amount of people in each day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I work for a multinational and they are expecting social distancing will be required so the numbers allowed to work in the office will be reduced as a result. While exact plans are not worked unofficially lower level managers are saying any staff that have children to mind will be accommodated to continue to WFH and those who use public transport will also be accommodated to contuse to WFH if they wise. The latter will not be allowed back during the first phase of reopening.

Short to medium term it will probally be leadership with each department allowed to have x amount of people on site at one. If demand is high they will likely to a week in/out to meet demand.

Won’t that cause a kind of apartheid and probably resentment amongst staff?
    I know flexibility is needed but won’t that come across a special treatment? A bit like the “essential” and non essential lists where people thus see themselves as more important.
    Not saying it’s right or wrong just pointing out how some staff may feel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

You might need to leave your job. If the office is open and policy is to work in the office and the government doesn’t forbid it, then you have to go.

If you speak with management along with other staff, management may realise that many staff would be happier and therefore perhaps better of working from home. I'd have a lot of respect for my employer if they took my concerns onboard and changed policy based on the concerns of workers.
    If you don't ask you'll never get so regardless of what current policy might say, it doesn't mean that policies can't change. I'm sure management right across the world is considering this right now. OP is far from the only person thinking about this right now so I'm sure you'll find many employers will be happy to accommodate staff who can work from home in the aftermath of this. What company will want the bad PR of being the company thats forcing employees to work in the office and then some of those same employees later get sick or being illness back to families. And this is before factoring in that the working remotely capabilities have been much improved or tested during this period so management will be more confident that work can actually be done remotely. This is of course assuming your efficiency is remaining high now compared to office time.

So yes, if your employer forces and says you must, yes then, you probably must. But I really so imagine there won't be many employers who will put the boot down as hard as they may have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »
    Won’t that cause a kind of apartheid and probably resentment amongst staff?
    I know flexibility is needed but won’t that come across a special treatment? A bit like the “essential” and non essential lists where people thus see themselves as more important.
    Not saying it’s right or wrong just pointing out how some staff may feel

I don't think so. Currently all staff (400 odd) can work remotely and have been since around 10 March. In May I don't expect management to say to department managers you must have staff in the building as overall I believe remote working has generally gone well. If people want to return they will be allowed however no more than 50% (my guess) of the workforce can be in the building at the same time and how to manage that. I think childcare and WFH etc is just them trying to accommodate as many as possible and to a lesser extend stagger numbers returning.

I should add we will not be allowed use meetings rooms when the office reopens and they must all be competed online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Exactly, the vaccine is a pipe dream.

According to a professor at Oxford it isn't but what does she know? Especially compared to your authority on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My husband’s office is provisionally saying August for the return to the office because everyone is doing really well working from home. And when they do return, they are implementing a work-from-home programme. When my husband returns, he’s probably going to work from home two or three days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think most people will be glad to get out of the house and interact with others at this stage. I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    According to a professor at Oxford it isn't but what does she know? Especially compared to your authority on the topic.

Everything is a pipe dream until it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm still working as normal, I don't have any fear about it because I know everyone is taking precautions. You have to live your life and that means going to work. I understand the concern but what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm still working as normal, I don't have any fear about it because I know everyone is taking precautions. You have to live your life and that means going to work. I understand the concern but what's the alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

One small business I know looking at some version of this in the back office for the future
    Their manager comes from there.

https://www.superstaff.com/services/back-office-support/

https://www.superstaff.com/blog/outsourcing-trends-statistics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I’d say the social distancing measures will have to be pretty serious as there’s likely to be legal ramifications for employers who don’t bother or take shortcuts.

If someone gets covid 19, and can prove transmission occurred at work and an employer hasn’t done things to best practice and state guidelines, I would assume there would be a fairly serious risk of being sued, much like you would expect if you weren’t applying normal safety at work practices for any other area.

My guess is employers who are in anyway sensible will be able to get this to work fairly well and guidelines and measures will develop and evolve and become part of life for a time.

I’d say give it a few months and you’ll have a whole industry supporting social distancing solutions and COVID-19 risk mitigation like onsite testing, shields, office planning etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

pgj2015 wrote: »
    when you think about it, the best situation for you is if you get the virus, then you can self isolate for 2 weeks, then you can visit your parents safely.

Immunity has not been established as a definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphman88

pgj2015 wrote: »

Cases of people now being infected a second time so wouldn't bet on immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Well it doesn't just appear from thin air so I'm not going to discount all the work it'll take. I swear some people don't want a vaccine on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No. A pipe dream is something that is unattainable or fanciful. Every project anyone is working on is not considered unattainable until so eureka moment out of the blue that no one was expecting.

pipe dream
    noun
    an unattainable or fanciful hope or scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Work from home to until next year we've been told. Social distancing is not workable in an office environment and there are also big concerns about insurance liabilities.

It's working well for us to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I think most people will be glad to get out of the house and interact with others at this stage. I will.

This !!

I work for a large multinational and worked from home anyway before all this kicked off, only going into the office once every 2 weeks for a meeting with my boss.

I’m a bit reclusive and prefer working from home so will continue to do so but I can’t wait to have the option of going into the office again and will head in as soon as it opens.

I love how the office will be “deemed safe”. By who, the company? There really are an awful lot of gullible people around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Until creches are operational I will not be setting foot in my office and my employer has said they accept this for all staff that have kids who require care. Tbh I'd like to get back in, even on a piece meal basis, just to get some sort of normality back.

Advertisement