Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offices Reopening-Will you go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Cheers joe,some conflicting info on line, some seem to be opening while others are not��

Yeah I suppose it’s down to individual shops, but many of them definitely are, with the expected restriction on number of people allowed in at any one time etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Maz2016 wrote: »
    We are back and it’s 100% of the staff back. New social distancing policies implemented. I’m glad to be back as mentally I found it tough at home. I would have preferred if we went back 3 days and WFH the other 2

Your back even if you can wfh?

Is it a big company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Working in the pissing rain labouring on the building sites

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Will be working from home till August but suspect even l after that I'll be working from home.

Yeah same here, doubt will ever get into office again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Stheno wrote: »
    Wfh indefinitely. Waiting to hear if there will be redundancies as hours have been cut company wide
    Best of luck in keeping your job buddy. You seem smart and experienced so maybe be on the lookout for other options just in case? I've found a great way to make yourself indispensable is to be widely sought-after.

We've one redundancy in our house already so I'm glad I've so many fingers and pies to hand, but I've had to put a lot of upskilling I'd hoped to do this year on hold. Combined with the dropoff in income it's pretty disappointing from an employment perspective and when the covid payment stops I don't know what options the OH will have as their job is no longer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have WFH all the way through and will continue for another 2-3 weeks at least.

Office isn't open but measure are currently being put in place. We've an office in the UK also and t's still closed too (all wfh)
    Have been busy but expect it to be busier tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I have been in one day a week for the last four weeks and I can tell you something...even when restrictions are lifted, only 20% of our office is going to be full at any one time.

• Masks and gloves on anytime you leave your desk.
    • Limited time in the canteen where you can't sit too close together.
    • One person in the toilets at a time and then they have to be deep cleaned.
    • Office deep cleaned every night.

It is going to suck balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Been WFH for two months and a bit, and will continue at least through June. My job has absolutely no requirements to be in a specific place...yet the big honchos (all of which come from marketing/sales backgrounds, none from IT) while saying "the health of our staff is paramount", well, you can literally hear it in their voice they're salivating when they think about "When we'll be back in the office".

Funny thing is there has been no impact on work throughput - there was actually a reluctant admission that productivity...might actually have gone UP a bit; Turns out that when your employees don't need to waste 2/3 hours of their life, each day, to come and go from a desk and don't sink hours in useless, ego-fuelled blabberfests called meetings...they don't mind putting in these extra 30 minutes to finish off a task before tomorrow morning. Who would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I’m voluntary going into the office, mainly to collect
    Some stuff but I’ll do my scheduled Teams calls while I’m there. Boss wants to meet outside for a coffee too. Its within 5k of my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Been WFH for two months and a bit, and will continue at least through June. My job has absolutely no requirements to be in a specific place...yet the big honchos (all of which come from marketing/sales backgrounds, none from IT) while saying "the health of our staff is paramount", well, you can literally hear it in their voice they're salivating when they think about "When we'll be back in the office".

Funny thing is there has been no impact on work throughput - there was actually a reluctant admission that productivity...might actually have gone UP a bit; Turns out that when your employees don't need to waste 2/3 hours of their life, each day, to come and go from a desk and don't sink hours in useless, ego-fuelled blabberfests called meetings...they don't mind putting in these extra 30 minutes to finish off a task before tomorrow morning. Who would have thought!

Have a heart! Those vitally important, jargon heavy meetings are what justifies these middle managers often high 5 figure to 6 figure salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Will be working from home till August but suspect even l after that I'll be working from home.

Yep, in the same boat. Happy to have the option tbh, I’m not in a rush to return to the office. If anything I’m more productive at home!

I have been in one day a week for the last four weeks and I can tell you something...even when restrictions are lifted, only 20% of our office is going to be full at any one time.

• Masks and gloves on anytime you leave your desk.
    • Limited time in the canteen where you can't sit too close together.
    • One person in the toilets at a time and then they have to be deep cleaned.
    • Office deep cleaned every night.

It is going to suck balls.

That’s just officially on paper. Once money is involved companies won’t give a toss and 99% will never bother with those past the first week, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My business is more or less closed since March for my safety, but is allowed to be open all along. Looking at reopening in June. Maybe. Changing how I operate to make it safer for me. Will incur expense initially but better in the long run regardless of the virus I think. Won't reopen until that's sorted anyway. Ending my work with certain clients because they're morons who couldn't follow simple guidelines for everyone's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Your back even if you can wfh?

Is it a big company

Yes we’re able to do some stuff from home but honestly the stuff we haven’t being doing the past 9 weeks has piled up. If we don’t do it we will loose the business. We only have about 10 staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Have a heart! Those vitally important, jargon heavy meetings are what justifies these middle managers often high 5 figure to 6 figure salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Yes we’re able to do some stuff from home but honestly the stuff we haven’t being doing the past 9 weeks has piled up. If we don’t do it we will loose the business. We only have about 10 staff

I thought people who can work from home are meant to stay working from home for the foreseeable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

howiya wrote: »
    I thought people who can work from home are meant to stay working from home for the foreseeable?

My understanding is that's more of an advisory than an enforceable directive.

The result is you'll get micro managing twats telling their staff to be present in the office.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

The result is you'll get micro managing twats telling their staff to be present in the office.

Surely if you’ve been able to work from home up to now the you still can now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But only as long as they get the distancing measures in place. Gardai, AFAIK, have the power to shut places down.

I've heard of a few places considering trying to put people back in the office ASAP. The idea went down like a lead balloon from people I have been talking to in these companies. Some people I know just said they would flat out quit. Not directly to management but the general sentiment among the workforce seems to have filtered back to management as all has gone quiet since on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It also depends on the type of work. Some are allowed back

I'd look into that. I haven't heard of anyone who has been wfh having to go back in tomorrow.

I've heard of some offices letting staff in to pick up documents etc, but none that are making employees go back to the office.

According to this https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/
    you should only be going to work if your work cannot be carried out at home.

It also depends on the type of work. Some are allowed back

The discussion isn't really around if they are allowed to go back. Some companies will be in a position where they are allowed to have staff in the office but the guidance also says if you can work from home you should. That is kind of a grey area and in a case where people can continue to WTH, I think they will end up upsetting staff quite a bit if they try to force them into the office.

The discussion isn't really around if they are allowed to go back. Some companies will be in a position where they are allowed to have staff in the office but the guidance also says if you can work from home you should. That is kind of a grey area and in a case where people can continue to WTH, I think they will end up upsetting staff quite a bit if they try to force them into the office.

Agreed, WFH continues until at least Phase 5, where possible.

Companies forcing staff who can WFH to return in Phase 1 is taking the p!ss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes because that’s all they do luckily they have the smarter lower paid workers to justify their existence. :D

/sarcasm

I've heard of a few places considering trying to put people back in the office ASAP. The idea went down like a lead balloon from people I have been talking to in these companies. Some people I know just said they would flat out quit. Not directly to management but the general sentiment among the workforce seems to have filtered back to management as all has gone quiet since on that front.

Someone quitting a paying job at the moment is pretty foolhardy

Could be a while finding alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Benimar wrote: »
    Agreed, WFH continues until at least Phase 5, where possible.

Companies forcing staff who can WFH to return in Phase 1 is taking the p!ss tbh.

Indeed seems to continue until Phase 5, and a phased return to the office for all workers from Phase 5.
    Employers will be required to ensure social distancing (like staggered lunch hour, partitions on desks).

What remains to be seen is how this will affect insurance liabilities, and if the government will outright ban any covid insurance claims. I think that reasonable employers that can be productive with people working remotely will continue to do so.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Someone quitting a paying job at the moment is pretty foolhardy

Could be a while finding alternatives

Not in my industry. If anthing the job market seems to be slightly stronger.

Not in my industry. If anthing the job market seems to be slightly stronger.

Really ? So how many people do you know that have changed jobs at the moment? Pretty difficult conduct interviews and onboard new staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

Rumours of my company going to require people to sign a waiver indemnifying them against any covid19 related issues from the workplace. Can't see that flying though, right?

Advertisement