Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable id

Options
  • 27-04-2020 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

im replacing an old spot at the side of the house and need some extra cable to connect up a second one i found this in the attic and appears to be the same as the cables already in place anyone know its name or is there a modern version available for sale.

ibb.co/Yhjd9XQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lockdownrescue

im replacing an old spot at the side of the house and need some extra cable to connect up a second one i found this in the attic and appears to be the same as the cables already in place anyone know its name or is there a modern version available for sale.

ibb(dot)co/Yhjd9XQ

replace the (dot) with well a .

Any ideas?
    Sorry for the double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It is a 1.5 square pvc/pvc red cable. Neutral was balck in the days that was used.

It is brown these days for the Live, Blue for Neutral.

Was there an Earth wire brought out to the original light?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lockdownrescue

Bruthal wrote: »
    It is a 1.5 square pvc/pvc red cable. Neutral was balck in the days that was used.

It is brown these days for the Live, Blue for Neutral.

Was there an Earth wire brought out to the original light?

im not sure what the exact story is or was but the house was "rewired" 5 or 6 years ago because of decertification. i bought the place late last year and there have been a few problems poping up from time to time, but no there is no earth to the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It is brown these days for the Live, (sic) Blue for Neutral.
    Neutral is a live conductor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

im not sure what the exact story is or was but the house was "rewired" 5 or 6 years ago because of decertification. i bought the place late last year and there have been a few problems poping up from time to time, but no there is no earth to the light.

The wiring should be brown and blue if it was rewired.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The wiring should be brown and blue if it was rewired.

Exactly. It is a long time since red and black cabling was used in domestic installations.

Advertisement