Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my phone(Vodafone) for Hotspot Tethering?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm awaiting delivery of a router.

In the meantime I want to use my phone as a hotspot to tether to my Android TV Box(Mecool Km 9 Pro).

Will I need to change my apn settings before I do so and will Vodafone charge extra for tethering?

I'm on Vodafone and my current plan is Vodafone X werkends. I pay €20 per month for 30gb of data + 20gb free at weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Short answer is you can tether, with a few points to be aware of...

- APN must remain set to live.Vodafone.com (some handsets allow data to be routed via a chargeable APN).

- check the phone settings for any other APN except the Live APN and delete those other APNs if possible. If there are un-editable APNs, then you might not be able to tether without getting charged.

- try tethering with a small amount of data to see if credit is used (VF charge 19c per MB so test it out with a web page with low/no images)

- better to test tethering with zero credit so that they can't charge anything extra as there is no way they can charge the account after the fact

You could also get an Eir PAYG SIM with 80GB for 20e per 4 weeks and try it out...Eir don't have any restrictions on tethering...strictly speaking Vodafone shouldn't be restricting it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Short answer is you can tether, with a few points to be aware of...

- APN must remain set to live.Vodafone.com (some handsets allow data to be routed via a chargeable APN).

- check the phone settings for any other APN except the Live APN and delete those other APNs if possible. If there are un-editable APNs, then you might not be able to tether without getting charged.

- try tethering with a small amount of data to see if credit is used (VF charge 19c per MB so test it out with a web page with low/no images)

- better to test tethering with zero credit so that they can't charge anything extra as there is no way they can charge the account after the fact

You could also get an Eir PAYG SIM with 80GB for 20e per 4 weeks and try it out...Eir don't have any restrictions on tethering...strictly speaking Vodafone shouldn't be restricting it either.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I called Vodafone since and they said that there's no extra charge and that I don't need to use a different apn.

They did say that the Android Box could use more data than I was used to and if I ran out of data I would have to top up again by €20.

For the record I have two Apns
    Vodafone.live.com
    MMS.vodafone.net

I'll take your advice and test using a low graphic webpage. I have €15 extra credit on it so I'll know soon enough if charges are taken.

I have been considering Three and Eir Mobile Broadband packages because I think even the 80gb on Eir mobile would be used up quickly.

A three mobile SIM can be used unlimited in a Router do that's another option.

Vodafone did say that if I put my Vodafone dim into any device other than a mobile It would not work unless I signed up to a Mobile Broadband plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone did say that if I put my Vodafone sim into any device other than a mobile it would not work unless I signed up to a Mobile Broadband plan.

IMO they're spoofing, once the Live APN is set, the device is irrelevant...unless they're inspecting traffic for other parameters which is probably against EU net neutrality regulations.

Anyway, a test page will indicate whether it works or not in a modem, APN may need to be set in the modem interface.

Three PAYG SIM is the better option for data as it's unlimited and there's no chance of excess charges unlike their broadband which is capped at 750GB. Eir is also capped at 750GB.

Advertisement