Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

The order I cancelled yesterday and got a full refund for (about 80 quid) is out for delivery this morning. 11 days to get to that stage and 8-9 days stuck in limbo somewhere in An Post.

I wouldn't be surprised if An Post lost all of Amazons business not just Dublin.

As the world is moving away from snail mail, surely An Post should be redirecting themselves towards being a courier company instead of a postal delivery one? Doesn't make sense to annoy companies like Amazon with poor delivery records. Then again, a state subsidised entity doesn't need to be worried about real world problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

D13exile wrote: »
    As the world is moving away from snail mail, surely An Post should be redirecting themselves towards being a courier company instead of a postal delivery one? Doesn't make sense to annoy companies like Amazon with poor delivery records. Then again, a state subsidised entity doesn't need to be worried about real world problems

My argument is that as An Post have enough staff to pass by every address in the country 5 days a week so how come they can't do the job cheaper than Amazon can do it themsleves? I know there are lots of considerations but one is without Amazon deliveries the Irish postal system will cut back yet again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

My argument is that as An Post have enough staff to pass by every address in the country 5 days a week so how come they can't do the job cheaper than Amazon can do it themsleves? I know there are lots of considerations but one is without Amazon deliveries the Irish postal system will cut back yet again.

Yes you are correct but you are thinking that without a semi state mindset. An Post doesn't have to stand on its own two feet and "sink or swim" and therefore doesn't really care if Amazon says we are moving our business elsewhere.

However my experience with private courier companies both in a professional and personal capacity is hit and miss. I find Fastway awful to deal with while DHL are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭PreCocious

Is there not a contradiction here ? An Post with its "Semi-state" mindset is suffering from sub-optimal performance and yet the nimble, agile, private-sector couriers are also suffering from sub-optimal performance. The private-sector couriers should be able to ramp up employment without having to worry about unions or working conditions.

Could there be something else having an impact ?

PreCocious wrote: »
    Is there not a contradiction here ? An Post with its "Semi-state" mindset is suffering from sub-optimal performance and yet the nimble, agile, private-sector couriers are also suffering from sub-optimal performance. The private-sector couriers should be able to ramp up employment without having to worry about unions or working conditions.

Could there be something else having an impact ?

Distances between drops.

Dublin is easy for Amazon as they have a lot of population so a driver can do their required think it might be 15 drops an hour.

Out in the sticks you can't do those numbers or anything like it when your drops could be a couple of miles apart.

Out in the sticks is where An Post should be shining because they have a van going past every house 5 days a week. According to the Postman I know there is still capacity in that the vans are rarely if ever full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone know what the turnaround time is from it getting sorted in Dublin (that was there on Sunday morning at like 2 am) to it actually going out for delivery. It went from Amazon to An post on Saturday but hasn't been any update since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Then again, a state subsidised entity doesn't need to be worried about real world problems

It is not state subsidised .

It is funded by the revenues it receives for it's service

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenfields46!

an post chat just informed me it sld only take 5 days from uk for a parcel yet im waiting 7, are they making this up?!!! anyone else waiting for an item to be scanned in from UK and for how long getting really fed up now😳

an post chat just informed me it sld only take 5 days from uk for a parcel yet im waiting 7, are they making this up?!!! anyone else waiting for an item to be scanned in from UK and for how long getting really fed up now��

I'm waiting 18 days for an item shipped from the UK to be scanned by An Post. Must be on a row boat from Holyhead

I'm waiting 18 days for an item shipped from the UK to be scanned by An Post. Must be on a row boat from Holyhead

How big is it. With Amazon I found smaller items are taking less than a week but boxes (but not all boxes) are taking up to 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Sent 2 small parcels to the Uk on the same day, normal post 1 arrived 6 days later, the other arrived 20 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For me, it's dispatched from Amazon on Saturday and arrived in Dublin Sunday morning and last update was then and that it was sorted. Only a book so a pretty small item. Amazon have emailed just there saying I should expect it in next 24-48 hours as it was meant to be today on their status.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 truth and logic

If Amazon provide a refund for a late item do you get to keep the item if it arrives without having to pay?

I know some people are keeping the items for free but is that the official policy?

I have an expensive, 320 euro item, which is late. I can get a refund tomorrow but it might be out for delivery tomorrow?

I know morally it's wrong to keep the expensive item for free but not if it's a guarantee by Amazon.

What is the policy by Amazon?

Is it, if your item is late you get it for free?

If Amazon provide a refund for a late item do you get to keep the item if it arrives without having to pay?

I know some people are keeping the items for free but is that the official policy?

I have an expensive, 320 euro item, which is late. I can get a refund tomorrow but it might be out for delivery tomorrow?

I know morally it's wrong to keep the expensive item for free but not if it's a guarantee by Amazon.

DEPENDS:( I'll update later if I don't pay but I asked them about this evening and the rep said the amount refunded would be debited from my account within 24 hours. I only got the refund yesterday and it hadn't even gone through the bank. I'd already reordered another (different item original sold out) and managed to cancel that one.

Others have reported that Amazon reps have said keep the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

an post chat just informed me it sld only take 5 days from uk for a parcel yet im waiting 7, are they making this up?!!! anyone else waiting for an item to be scanned in from UK and for how long getting really fed up now😳

You are dependent on royal mail getting it to ireland and uk has delays just like here (the pandemic is in other countries too)

When it gets here you simply have to allow 3 days

So UK delays + Heathrow freight delays + an post delays (esp Cork) allow 7-10 days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They don't say you can keep it if they don't deliver on time, so no, its not policy. With that value they will probably tell you to wait longer or return it if it arrives. Nothing is free - if they deduct the amount from An Post we'll all pay eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

My small package finally arrived today about 2 weeks overdue, I got the €35 refund a few days ago and am happily keeping the goods for free after the hassle of waiting so long

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

Isn't there a 14 day delivery period that gives you a refund?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Distance selling regulations mean you can return an online purchase if you change your mind within 14 days. You pay the return shipping, though.

Amazon will refund the shipping cost if you have paid extra for guaranteed delivery, not the price of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

As a former An Post employee up to this year, it's honestly the tip of the iceberg in here. The sorting centres are swamped lads, it's gonna be a grim December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I got a refund on a drone which cost about €240 last week and it arrived a few days later. I decided to contact Amazon this evening to let them know that it subsequently arrived and they said to "keep, dispose or donate it".

Happy days! The rep took a bit of time before saying that so he was obviously checking my account for a history of things like this so I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Any updates?
    jonny_b wrote: »
    As I said before I had a package due last Tuesday worth over €100. Amazon refunded me last Thursday morning. Then it arrived in Dublin last Thursday evening. Just updated this morning as out for delivery. Should I contact Amazon to charge again or will it be done automatically?
    I have no issue in paying for it but don't wanna spend the money either if it is gonna be deducted if I don't say anything.

Edit: it also seems to me that anything delivered in Dublin parcel hub is being delivered on time but anything delivered to Dublin mail centre is being delayed

How late was the package? Did they email you?
    John_Mc wrote: »
    I got a refund on a drone
    which cost about €240 last week and it arrived a few days later. I decided to contact Amazon this evening to let them know that it subsequently arrived and they said to "keep, dispose or donate it".

Happy days! The rep took a bit of time before saying that so he was obviously checking my account for a history of things like this so I wouldn't make a habit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

dar2054 wrote: »
    How late was the package? Did they email you?��

No email or contact from Amazon. I just wanted to know if they'd charge at some point so bit the bullet and contacted them about it first.

I don't know exactly how late it was but I was given that prompt in the order tracking saying "it might still arrive but you can request a refund now".

Mod - Dar2054. You have asked similar questions 4 times to no one in particular. Please stop. If you are asking a particular poster quote their post.

Did they turn up? Sent some packaged down from Dublin to Cork interested to see how long it takes.
    Jlayay wrote: »
    Is the AnPost Dublin hub really backed up? Sold off a couple of items to Cex and mailed them off to Dublin from Cork on Tuesday still in Portloaise

Okay
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Mod - Dar2054. You have asked similar questions 4 times to no one in particular. Please stop. If you are asking a particular poster quote their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As a former An Post employee up to this year, it's honestly the tip of the iceberg in here. The sorting centres are swamped lads, it's gonna be a grim December.

Merrywell large parcel unit changed to an automated parcel unit last Friday.

This hugely increases capacity and combined with 7 day delivery and large increase in seasonal staff will see delays drop dramatically from this week

There was a work to rule in Cork until last week, but finally got settled. This caused additional Cork delays

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭boetstark

Long_Wave wrote: »
    An post are operating as normal, if they had your parcels, you'd have them in a day or two but delays are obviously happening overseas due to cancelled flights etc.

Don't think so. They are miles behind in limerick. Waiting on a package posted in dublin last Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Same thing just happened me, did you have any luck?

Tony H wrote: »
    I'm in Cork and waiting on an amazon delivery through an post , its gone from

We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

to

Your delivery has been sorted in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12
    all normal then

Your delivery is in DUNGARVAN, CO WATERFORD , never had a parcel go through Waterford before , is this a new thing for Co. Cork deliveries , worried that Amazon have screwed up the postcode .

Advertisement