Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Anyone else having delays with parcels sent within Ireland?
    Currently waiting over a week for a parcel from Mayo to Cork.
    Have since received an overnight parcel from Dublin to Cork.
    Either An Post is slow in parts of country or I've been scammed on adverts.ie!

There are huge delays, it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

We actually don't.

Not for letters or small packages but for parcels An Post is the most expensive in Europe. You can send a 5kg parcel within Europe cheaper with UPS Express (next-day air freight) than An Post standard post.

The criticism came as figures show Ireland has some of the most expensive postal charges in the EU, with rates ranging from 33pc to 87pc above the European Union’s average.

They show that the €67 charge for a standard 5kg parcel and the €74 cost for a 5kg track and trace parcel were the highest tariffs of any national postal service.

https://www.independent.ie/news/parcel-delivery-service-to-increase-prices-despite-surge-in-online-shopping-39752525.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hasansaleem

I entered the USPS tracking number on An Post and I am seeing this

Awaiting information on your post

We may not have received your delivery yet, but check back later as tracking is updated regularly throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

VG31 wrote: »
    Not for letters or small packages but for parcels An Post is the most expensive in Europe. You can send a 5kg parcel within Europe cheaper with UPS Express (next-day air freight) than An Post standard post.

The criticism came as figures show Ireland has some of the most expensive postal charges in the EU, with rates ranging from 33pc to 87pc above the European Union’s average.

They show that the €67 charge for a standard 5kg parcel and the €74 cost for a 5kg track and trace parcel were the highest tariffs of any national postal service.

https://www.independent.ie/news/parcel-delivery-service-to-increase-prices-despite-surge-in-online-shopping-39752525.html

Good old Charlie Weston and the indo. Search for one or two items that suit your agenda and exaggerate it to hell.

What size was the parcel? This matters because ups uses volumetric weight. A fairly standard 60cm X 40cm X 40 cm box will come in at €84 with ups in Europe and €130+ for outside Europe.

Try comparing a 2kg small package. 40cm X 25cm X 25cm. Ups come in at €63, an post are €14.50
    Ah, but such comparison would not work out for Mr Weston

Stop believing sh1te written in rags is totally true.

But yes an post is expensive for European parcels and they should look at a road/sea service rather than air.

Darc19 wrote: »
    What size was the parcel? This matters because ups uses volumetric weight. A fairly standard 60cm X 40cm X 40 cm box will come in at €84 with ups in Europe and €130+ for outside Europe.

A 5kg 60x40x40 parcel with UPS (Standard) is €55. It's €67/74 with An Post uninsured/insured. DPD is €21-35 depending on the destination.
    Try comparing a 2kg small package. 40cm X 25cm X 25cm. Ups come in at €63, an post are €14.50

€14.50 is fairly reasonable but it's €21.50 for insurance and tracking. I don't know where you're getting those prices from. UPS is €23. DPD again is €21-35 depending on the destination. Considering how much faster the transit times are, paying extra for a DPD or UPS is definitely worth it IMO.

Saying An Post are the most expensive in Europe may have been an exaggeration, but they are definitely one of the most expensive postal services in Europe and for large items are the most expensive. They are generally good value domestically.

• Advertisement

A 5kg 60x40x40 parcel with UPS (Standard) is €55. It's €67/74 with An Post uninsured/insured. DPD is €21-35 depending on the destination.

€14.50 is fairly reasonable but it's €21.50 for insurance and tracking. I don't know where you're getting those prices from. UPS is €23. DPD again is €21-35 depending on the destination. Considering how much faster the transit times are, paying extra for a DPD or UPS is definitely worth it IMO.

Saying An Post are the most expensive in Europe may have been an exaggeration, but they are definitely one of the most expensive postal services in Europe and for large items are the most expensive. They are generally good value domestically.
    Prices are as published on an post website and on their price leaflet in all post offices.

They are not amongst the most expensive for letters, large letters and small parcels. They are mid table (and cheaper than royal mail) when you compare like with like.

But for large parcels they are not competitive and as I said, they should offer a sea/road service which would be a game changer for them to offer great value for parcels that can have a 4-7 day delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

They are not amongst the most expensive for letters, large letters and small parcels. They are mid table (and cheaper than royal mail) when you compare like with like.

I did that in this very thread 20 posts ago and he just skipped over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Guys does a registered letter always require a signature from recipient?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

BaguMka wrote: »
    Guys does a registered letter always require a signature from recipient?

Interesting question with Covid? You might find your postman signs for it?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Interesting question with Covid? You might find your postman signs for it?

I'm waiting on a letter with important documents today. I'm at work and nobody at home so I wonder if they drop it in the mailbox without signature

• Advertisement

BaguMka wrote: »

I'm waiting on a letter with important documents today. I'm at work and nobody at home so I wonder if they drop it in the mailbox without signature

Our postman signs for our stuff when it needs a signature. But thats only because I trust the postman, however with Covid I wasn't sure there were any signatures anymore?

Edit> https://www.anpost.com/Covid-19/Mails-Parcels-services so they are saying no but it depends on your postman and how well he knows you. Ours would sign and deliver and but a postman who doesn't know who will follow the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 reddev75

Hi all,im just wondering if there are still delays with mail coming from france or germany?

reddev75 wrote: »
    Hi all,im just wondering if there are still delays with mail coming from france or germany?

My last order from Germany arrived in 6 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 reddev75

My last order from Germany arrived in 6 working days.

Thank you,i appreciate you letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I ordered something from Amazon.de which finally arrived in Ireland yesterday. However the AnPost tracking which just updated has changed to "We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender." No message from an post or amazon why this is. It just arrived into the Dublin Parcel Centre and 24hrs later I get this.

The item is a dashcam. No idea why its going back to Amazon.de Anyone have any experience with this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm in the same situation as many of the other posters and USPS/An Post don't seem to talk to each other. Here we are in the 21st century, spacecraft landing on Mars and they can't even match what the Victorians were able to do with mail 150 years ago.

While my general view of the way An Post is run is that they could do a lot better I'll report a nice little positive.

I posted some plant material to someone about 20 miles away. They are in a different postal area for deliveries so I suspected the parcel would go halfway around the country and take at least 2 full days. I posted at about 11 am yesterday and they arrived around 11 am today. If An Post can keep up that service it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 greenfields46!

i ordered a small item from uk on tues, it left uk early hours wed morning, arrived dublin parcel hub 1230am thurs and had it in my hand Friday at 11am I was amazed!! thats good going from royal mail & an post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Only took my parcel 77 days to get from the GPO in Dublin 2 to their centre in Dublin 12. God know how long it will take these idiots to get it to Mexico City.

05 March 2021 04:56

Your post has left An Post DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

18 December 2020 16:24

Your post was accepted in G.P.O., DUBLIN 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kristmiller

Using First Class Mail International, deliveries generally take between 7–21 days to arrive, although the USPS does not guarantee delivery dates or times. Mail may travel to its destination by ground, air, or a combination of both. Try UPS for your parcel delivery needs to Ireland today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lostpackage

Hi
    I ordered from the US 17th Dec and still hasn’t arrived. Last tracking details like many on here is “ Your item departed a transfer airport in DUBLIN, IRELAND on December 27, 2020 at 11:13 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination”
    An post has nothing on their system. Where could it be? What airport? Who do I contact?
    Has anyone had any luck contacting anyone!
    Thanks

Hi
    I ordered from the US 17th Dec and still hasn’t arrived. Last tracking details like many on here is “ Your item departed a transfer airport in DUBLIN, IRELAND on December 27, 2020 at 11:13 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination”
    An post has nothing on their system. Where could it be? What airport? Who do I contact?
    Has anyone had any luck contacting anyone!
    Thanks

The seller is the only person/company you should be contacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

There are huge delays, it's crazy.

And this is what we see!

https://extra.ie/2021/02/25/business/irish/an-post-business-finance-awards

Considering the phenomenal increase in business and the fact that delivery except in November was very good, it was well deserved.

They brought unions and staff with them and worked with covid 19 restrictions.

But people like you have to accept that international delivery and international receipt of parcels is totally beyond their control. Maybe you just don't understand the pandemic that has been around for 12 months and has meant 80% of flights have been grounded.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Considering the phenomenal increase in business and the fact that delivery except in November was very good, it was well deserved.

They brought unions and staff with them and worked with covid 19 restrictions.

But people like you have to accept that international delivery and international receipt of parcels is totally beyond their control. Maybe you just don't understand the pandemic that has been around for 12 months and has meant 80% of flights have been grounded.?

Sorry CEO, didn't realise that was you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Has there been a delay with post/parcels?

I have two parcels in Dublin parcel hub since last week. Received a message last week for one parcel saying that it will be delivered up to 3 working days. The third working day was Monday and it hasn't been delivered.

What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I have two parcels in Dublin parcel hub since last week. Received a message last week for one parcel saying that it will be delivered up to 3 working days. The third working day was Monday and it hasn't been delivered.

What's going on?

If ya don't get it tomorrow just ring and ask they'll be able to tell you the story with it.

No problems my way running like a Swiss clock but I'm not dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Must have been doing something right. That award is voted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Very speedy deliveries around here for the past couple of months. No delays at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

What's going on?

your text will have the tracking number, enter it into the anpost site and see what the status is

Advertisement