Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop my pruned branches falling into the neighbours?

Options
  • 27-04-2020 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any tricks to stopping tree branches falling into a neighbours garden? I was thinking of some sort of lasso that would be put on branches so if they did fall in I could drag them back out. Of maybe you screw into the plant and have a rope attached to the screw or something.

I could get a second helper if I need it (living in my house, not outside help) but is there a way to do it on my own?

I have bits of rope and webbing straps and am handy at making things.

There is potential for them falling into 5 houses and I did not want to go around calling with the current social distancing situation.

I am using a loppers.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How big are the branches? You could use a large bedsheet as a net to catch what's falling by securing its corners to some other branch you're not cutting.

You could also tie a rope around each of them, one at the time, and throw the rope over some other branch noose-like. You keep the rope taut, cut the branch (which would stay pretty much in place, or not budge by much), then gently loosen the rope to guide the branch down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

New Home wrote: »
    How big are the branches?

Some might be 10foot long, but no real leaves yet and the base is about 40mm diameter than I am cutting. I think I might cut some and sort of half cut them, making a mess of the cut so it does not fall off, then once I wrangle it in a direction so its definitely going to fall in my garden I can then do a final clean cut under the messed up one.
    New Home wrote: »
    You could also tie a rope around each of them, one at the time, and throw the rope over some other branch noose-like.
    I will try this too, I have another bush to do and that should work well I think I will wrap it around a bunch of them for that, they have very thin branches. I have very long webbing straps that can do the job.

I was wondering if some commercial device was available and I could build my own. But I have no idea how to word what I am doing.

thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A branch-catcher or a branch-holder, so to speak?

Hmmm. Maybe do a search for tree surgery tips, something might come up. Make sure you don't injure yourself, though...

As in, this might not be a good idea...

tree.jpg

Advertisement