Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can the micro SD card be used for on the 3DS?

• 27-04-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently bought a second-hand ‘New’ 3DS XL. It only has a 4gig micro SD. I have no idea what the SD card is for! My last Nintendo was the DS lite.

Is the SD card for somehow saving games?
    Can I put stuff on it? And if so what kind of stuff?
    I know how to put stuff on to old style R4 cards but can I put roms directly on that micro SD card?
    If so do I need additional software to run them?
    Or do I need a different file format to run games from the SD card?
    Is the card only for downloaded games from the eshop(which I thought was dead)?
    Can I run 3DS games from that card or just DS games?

So many questions?
    Thanks in advance.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you buy games from the eShop, they get stored on the SD card. Saves are stored on the Carts, except for downloadable games, theirs are on the SD. The software on the SD keyed to your 3DS so if you take the SD out and move it to another 3DS the games will not be available.

Far as I know its still open for 3DS - the Wii Shop is the one that closed.

I'm not going to comment on the R4 or running ROMs from the SD because I'm a good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Banjo wrote: »
    If you buy games from the eShop, they get stored on the SD card. Saves are stored on the Carts, except for downloadable games, theirs are on the SD. The software on the SD keyed to your 3DS so if you take the SD out and move it to another 3DS the games will not be available.

Far as I know its still open for 3DS - the Wii Shop is the one that closed.

I'm not going to comment on the R4 or running ROMs from the SD because I'm a good boy.

Thank you very much for that info Banjo!

Advertisement