Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gift ideas for 6 week old girl

• 27-04-2020 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

pgj2015 wrote: »
    any ideas?

Prize bonds in her name.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Clothes in bigger sizes 3-6 months, 6-9 months etc, money, voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think she has a load of clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

The blankets with their name on it or a dressing gown for maybe 1year with hood and name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Socket set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Something different..... The mint do a coin collection, you can get a presentation pack of coins for the year. Something they may appreciate when older.

I know you said she's loads of clothes but for anyone piggy backing on this thread :) be careful with clothes, we had a spring baby.... Got loads of beautiful summer outfits 6-9 months... Shorts and t-shirt are not much use in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

What's your budget?

Swarovski do gorgeous little year/month of birth pieces.

Or you could get the annual christmas ornament, marked with the year.

it really depends on the parents if they hate any cluttery stuff or like their own style I would stay away from anything like decorations, they are so wasteful.. A voucher while seems boring is also very good, in fairness a smyths one isnt the worst as they normally have the best deals and they have the nursery section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

I had a baby a few months ago and while it’s lovely getting clothes I found I got so many I didn’t get a chance to put half of them on her before they were too small for her.

In my experience I was delighted when I got presents of water wipes, nappies, sudocream, aveno body wash, not the most exciting but so practical and they were always used. You could make up a hamper.

Bath towel with her name on it, books, bath toys or weaning set for when she starts on solids. I find the more practical the gift the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If it is their first child then a hand held digital thermometer plus vests/baby grows. Can never have enough.

It depends what you want to give, as well. A keepsake, a token, or something practical.

Newbridge Silverware do nice baby gifts as well. The milestone baby book is beautiful.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tesco/dunnes gift voucher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Really depends on budgets. A few favourites from when mine were small was Sophie the Giraffe, Clark’s vouchers for first shoes, and a weaning set (Annabel karmel book, some weaning spoons, tubs etc). All really useful!
    Had loads of clothes, and keepsakes so the practical ones were great.

Not the Giraffe haha!!! I hate that thing, and managed to get a ergo 360 on deal and I very nearly put it back because that giraffe was on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

loriexxx wrote: »
    I had a baby a few months ago and while it’s lovely getting clothes I found I got so many I didn’t get a chance to put half of them on her before they were too small for her.

In my experience I was delighted when I got presents of water wipes, nappies, sudocream, aveno body wash, not the most exciting but so practical and they were always used. You could make up a hamper.

Bath towel with her name on it, books, bath toys or weaning set for when she starts on solids. I find the more practical the gift the better

I loved when I got a hamper of Child's Farm and Weleda products for baby. I hate getting gifts of clothes because 90% of the time they aren't to my taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

lunamoon wrote: »
    I loved when I got a hamper of Child's Farm and Weleda products for baby. I hate getting gifts of clothes because 90% of the time they aren't to my taste.

Whereas I wouldn't use most products I was gifted. Lots of the typical places people buy clothes take returns with no receipts so I did that when I got too many of the same thing or too many clothes in the same size. I would go with books, you can't really go wrong. A nice series of kids books (I got the old Ladybird type classics for my niece recently- Little Red Riding Hood and Three Billy Goats Gruff, that sort of thing) or a few random picks. I find that if you buy books early, parents start reading to the kids earlier so a love of books starts earlier in the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Whereas I wouldn't use most products I was gifted. Lots of the typical places people buy clothes take returns with no receipts so I did that when I got too many of the same thing or too many clothes in the same size. I would go with books, you can't really go wrong. A nice series of kids books (I got the old Ladybird type classics for my niece recently- Little Red Riding Hood and Three Billy Goats Gruff, that sort of thing) or a few random picks. I find that if you buy books early, parents start reading to the kids earlier so a love of books starts earlier in the child.

Have to agree. I hate the knicky knacky stuff and hampers etc. I was doing a big clear out recently and came across newbridge bits my eldest (who just turned 7!) was gifted as a newborn. Ornate hairbrushes, money boxes etc never saw the light of day and ended up in the bin last week.

Two things that have never gone to waste in this house are books and prize bonds. Both great gifts! The prize bonds will sit there until they’re old enough to do what they want with them.

I guess the moral of the story is... don't spend a lot on a gift.

It appears whatever gift you give, it either won't fit, won't be to their taste or will end up in the bin.

Just send a nice card.

AulWan wrote: »
    I guess the moral of the story is... don't spend a lot on a gift.

It appears whatever gift you give, it either won't fit, won't be to their taste or will end up in the bin.

Just send a nice card.

Ah that's abit unfair!

I only returned one outfit as it was a duplicate and the same size.

I made a note of who got me each outfit and took a picture of the baby wearing it and sent the picture to whoever gave the gift.

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    Have to agree. I hate the knicky knacky stuff and hampers etc. I was doing a big clear out recently and came across newbridge bits my eldest (who just turned 7!) was gifted as a newborn. Ornate hairbrushes, money boxes etc never saw the light of day and ended up in the bin last week.

Two things that have never gone to waste in this house are books and prize bonds. Both great gifts! The prize bonds will sit there until they’re old enough to do what they want with them.

In the bin? Gosh would you not hold on to them because of the thought and sentiment behind them? It might be nice for your kids to have them when they are adults.

In the bin? Gosh would you not hold on to them because of the thought and sentiment behind them? It might be nice for your kids to have them when they are adults.

No. I thanked who gave them to us at the time because I appreciated the thought and sentiment behind the gifts. Not all gifts are to everyone’s taste. If this thread proves anything it proves that much. It’s like one person thinks flowers are a waste of money, others love them. They ended up in the bin as they were tarnished and a bit miserable looking - sorry if that offends anyone!

Edit to add: the person who gave the newbridge bits - my daughter hasn’t met since she was a newborn so I can’t see them meaning all that much to her as an adult ;)

Ah that's abit unfair!

I only returned one outfit as it was a duplicate and the same size.

I made a note of who got me each outfit and took a picture of the baby wearing it and sent the picture to whoever gave the gift.

Just going by the responses on the thread!

To the OP, maybe ask the mother if there is anything specific she would like. It seems like the safest bet. Alternatively, cash or a voucher.

No. I thanked who gave them to us at the time because I appreciated the thought and sentiment behind the gifts. Not all gifts are to everyone’s taste. If this thread proves anything it proves that much. It’s like one person thinks flowers are a waste of money, others love them. They ended up in the bin as they were tarnished and a bit miserable looking - sorry if that offends anyone!

Edit to add: the person who gave the newbridge bits - my daughter hasn’t met since she was a newborn so I can’t see them meaning all that much to her as an adult ;)

Oh I know not everyone has the same taste. I suppose it does come down to the relationship and also how much value is placed on the gifts.
    I have all the cards I received from my 21st birthday. I'd be very sentimental like that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Get a present for the parents rather than the child.

Oh I know not everyone has the same taste. I suppose it does come down to the relationship and also how much value is placed on the gifts.
    I have all the cards I received from my 21st birthday. I'd be very sentimental like that though.

Ah I’d agree with you though. I’m sure if it was from Mam for example I would keep it, in turn though she would know we’re not that kind of gift house if you get me?!

I’m an awful card hoarder. I have all their congrats cards from when they were born, birthday cards. Engagement, wedding cards!! I love reading them. I’m going to have to start letting go soon or they’ll need their own room :D

I've cards I received on my 1st birthday.... Disaster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It depends on your relationship to the child, and your budget. If you’re looking to spend more, ask If they’d like anything for down the line. When my god-daughter was born I bought her high chair. She didn’t need it then, but it saved the expense a few months later. Or a voucher towards a next stage car seat, if there’s a particular shop they’d be going to. But you might want something keepsakey, but you’ll know if they’d like that maybe.
    Failing those, I don’t think you can go wrong with a one for all voucher, or a dunnes voucher. I love vouchers :D

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Get a present for the parents rather than the child.

Vodka as it has many uses :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

This thread is such evidence of how different everyone is! I am definitely in the camp of no clothes and not loving the nick nack sentimental gifts, well, most of them anyway. I do keep cards but they are flat and can be stored easily enough and they have messages written in them which have more meaning to me than a lump of newbridge silver in the shape of noahs ark, its just a dust collector to me and has no real link to the giver (where as a card does hence me keeping them).

the only keepsake thing that I loved were books, we got some lovely personalised books for our babies and they are treasured. we did get a few baby books as in, fill in inforamtion about your baby, and I am really into all that stuff but I didnt have a second to get it done so they were just left and made me feel guilty. note also that i said i got a few and not just one!

vouchers are birlliant, it meant that we were able to combine them all and get things we really wanted but that were slightly luxurious. my one thing I wanted was a particular high chair and it was an extravagance that I wouldnt have gotten only for the vouchers that i recieved.

If its second baby its much harder as the parents probably have everything and the warm glow you might feel from a sentimental gift the first time round has kind of faded. clothes are definitely not needed for a second baby (if it is the same sex of course!). I honestly just told people not to get me anything cause there was NOTHING we needed, like absolutely nothing. of course people still got presents and we were grateful but truthfully, everything that anyone could have given us was just an extra rather than something new new. vouchers were still great and we ended up using them for toys and presents for our kids at chritsmas and birthdays and it just elimintated some expense for us which was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sillysocks wrote: »
    Really depends on budgets. A few favourites from when mine were small was Sophie the Giraffe, Clark’s vouchers for first shoes, and a weaning set (Annabel karmel book, some weaning spoons, tubs etc). All really useful!
    Had loads of clothes, and keepsakes so the practical ones were great.

I’d have loved a voucher for shoes. I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price of toddler shoes.

kylith wrote: »
    I’d have loved a voucher for shoes. I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price of toddler shoes.

It’s a great first birthday present too I think, though no one ever thinks of something so practical!

Vouchers trump everything, imo. I hate getting clothes for the baby, my SIL's have given me more than enough for his first year of life and anything more is a complete waste. Whatever you buy clothes wise will only be used for a few weeks anyway. Vouchers all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭ax530

books always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

bit young for books?

• Advertisement

bit young for books?

They’ll be used down the line, but tbh, it’s not something I would recommend at 6 weeks-It depends on the household. I have 4 kids and could open a bookshop at this stage. Maybe if it’s a first baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

bit young for books?

Never too young for books. My cousin got my little boy three books when he was was 5 months. Two years later we are still reading them and he will get another 2 or 3 years out of them. His little sister will also get mileage out of them.

I’d recommend anything by Julia Donaldson, the Adams cloud books and the Duck series by Jez Alborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you really want to give clothes, vests and onesies in the next size up would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Millem wrote:
    A one4all voucher

Careful using these if you haven't spent the full amount in the first transaction they start taking deductions as time passes, think it 1.25 per month or something. Really crap, I've been stung a few times with thinking I have X amount left and get to the till to have it rejected. Really annoying because you don't know your balance and in most (if not all?) shops they can't check the balance for you. You can check your balance online but who wants to do that standing at a till. It's put me off gifting them even though I loved receiving them. I'll just spend in full if I ever receive them again but just worth watching out for!

As for gifts, books are amazing, I've been reading the same set of Julia Donaldson books to my 19 month old since she was born, I'm sick to death of the same books but she loves them and repeats words back to me from them and copies me when she looks at other books on her own.

We also loved swimming togs as we had none and it made me take her swimming very young, little baby toys from mothercare were really good too. Voucher for shoes also great.

Teddy bears of any kind are a nuisance..I only like two that she was given, one from her dad and one from her grandad given in hospital when she was born. The rest are just in the way, we must have about 50, I don't know where they keep coming from.

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Careful using these if you haven't spent the full amount in the first transaction they start taking deductions as time passes, think it 1.25 per month or something. Really crap, I've been stung a few times with thinking I have X amount left and get to the till to have it rejected. Really annoying because you don't know your balance and in most (if not all?) shops they can't check the balance for you. You can check your balance online but who wants to do that standing at a till. It's put me off gifting them even though I loved receiving them. I'll just spend in full if I ever receive them again but just worth watching out for!

I think the charge is after 12 months? The same as a well known shopping centre voucher I have
    :(
    I get one4all vouchers a couple of times a year as a form of payment for self employed work. I love them. I check the balance online no problem. I have used them to pay for hotels/car insurance etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kylith wrote: »

That's actually a great idea. Clarks shoes voucher. 30-40 euro for their first shoes. And with the new voucher expiry rules its all the better.

I believe (double check this if you have any) one for all now start to expire/charge fees after 12 months of no activity. Not just a flat 12 months from first use.

Not sure about that? I use mine anyway.
    https://www.one4all.ie/terms-condition

I do have shopping centre ones though which expire in July :( I think they will charge me €3 off each card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

nappies...she'll use them a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Books I agree. But prize bonds went to waste here. We went to cash them in when we needed money for a house move. Couldn't cash them. A name was spelled incorrectly on one, the old address was also on them. Post office used every effort possible to not cash them. About 400 euro down the toilet for people who gave them in good faith.

They are a pure scam imho.

All4one vouchers are similar, they expire. And are unspendable online (which at the moment in Corona virus time means unspendable full stop)

pwurple wrote: »
    Books I agree. But prize bonds went to waste here. We went to cash them in when we needed money for a house move. Couldn't cash them. A name was spelled incorrectly on one, the old address was also on them. Post office used every effort possible to not cash them. About 400 euro down the toilet for people who gave them in good faith.

They are a pure scam imho.

All4one vouchers are similar, they expire. And are unspendable online (which at the moment in Corona virus time means unspendable full stop)

You can spend one4all vouchers online but only €50 max per transaction. Anyway I am not going to derail this thread!

Advertisement