Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

As I said, AIB provide merchant services to Aer Lingus. Hence, AIB are Aer Lingus's 'bank'. AIB have an obligation to act on Aer Lingus's behalf but he letter exclusively mentions AIB acting in a defensive manner for Aer Lingus rather than also providing for the possibility that the consumer was right and is entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

JTMan wrote: »
    As I said, AIB provide merchant services to Aer Lingus. Hence, AIB are Aer Lingus's 'bank'. AIB have an obligation to act on Aer Lingus's behalf but he letter exclusively mentions AIB acting in a defensive manner for Aer Lingus rather than also providing for the possibility that the consumer was right and is entitled to a refund.

Exactly .. they haven't got a leg to stand on..but they will try. Hopefully your bank will just will just override all this showboating from AIB and refund you asap... : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Ryanair are currently recruiting for a Chargeback Admin to join their team.

The successful candidate will be based in our new Head Office in Airside Business Park in Swords.

The successful candidate will be responsible for:

Process daily chargeback files from Acquirers.
    Review eligibility of chargeback for representment.
    Collect, prepare necessary documentation necessary defending chargeback dispute.
    Adhere and Maintain extensive knowledge of card scheme rules, regulations, timeframes relating to chargeback, arbitration and compliance cases.
    Maintain and provide detailed reports of all chargeback received and status update.
    Monthly reconciliations between chargebacks received, updates and bank accounts
    Work closely with Fraud team in relation to Fraud prevention Chargeback trends etc.
    Best practice recommendations for chargeback reduction and process improvement.
    Ad-hoc duties within the Chargeback/Fraud Department.
    Requirements

A business/finance graduate or a qualified Accounts Technician.
    Experience of Microsoft Excel and word essential.
    Fluent English with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
    A second European language is preferable.
    Excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential. The candidate should be able to demonstrate a high degree of initiative, strong interpersonal and excellent communications skills

https://www.jobalert.ie/job/chargeback-administrator-ryanair?fbclid=IwAR3gu0-XwvgMqXVhIKEtz6PLJOndh7acss3iO-XDZecWnqOHbDyaSesJNpI

Not even a wee word about ensuring customers get fast chargebacks.

Good spot Paddy.

So Ryanair are letting people go and also hiring at the same time. Hence, it is clear that they do not have the chargeback expertise in house. Also, clearly dealing with a torrent of chargeback requests.

One might expect a job description for a role like this to say something like "ensure chargebacks are approved and processed in a timely and efficient manner".

Instead we get:
    "recommendations for chargeback reduction"
    Translation: Ryanair want to find ways to avoid chargeback.

"Maintain extensive knowledge of card scheme rules, regulations, timeframes relating to chargeback".
    Translation: Ryanair want to know the maximum amount of time they can wait before paying per card scheme and find out any loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

In regards to the first 2 lines, that’s not necessarily the case, bear in mind that AIB Bank and AIB merchant services are 2 separate businesses. You could have AIBMS funding a BOI bank account or BOIPA funding an AIB bank account.

Also, large corporate companies tend to use more than 1 acquirer for merchant services and probably more than 1 bank also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just checked on app
    Flights to and from lanzarote(14-24th June ) cancelled
    Didn’t get an email

Will try and get refund processed in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Had a trip booked through Expedia. Got an email from them stating that the airline (Air France) has cancelled the flights and had issued credit. I don’t want credit with Air France, I intend to rebook the trip for later in the year via a different route/airline. I’ve filled in the refund request form with AF, but surely this is Expedias issue and they should be the ones refunding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

paddy19 wrote: »
    If you can grab a screenshot of the "theres already a request being processed "
    that proves that you have made the refund request.

They don't send out a new email confirmed that you request is the queue.
    Which of course is what they should do!

it says on the confirmation page that confirmed to me yesterday an email would be sent out to confirm my request for the refund, but thats not happened yet

I printed the confirmation page with all the details

It does look like the link they send you is specific to your booking as the ref it locked out on the link page and cant be changed

km79 wrote: »
    Just checked on app
    Didn’t get an email

Might be worth waiting a few days

my dad called me yesterday morning to tell me his flight to tenerife on the 16th Jun was cancelled and he just got an email from RA to say he can apply for a refund

I was a bit concerned as we are due to fly to fuerteventura on the 6th Jun and got nothing, but later in the afternoon we got our email

seems to be hit & miss when the timing of the emails come out relative to the flight dates at the moment

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Might be worth waiting a few days

my dad called me yesterday morning to tell me his flight to tenerife on the 16th Jun was cancelled and he just got an email from RA to say he can apply for a refund

I was a bit concerned as we are due to fly to fuerteventura on the 6th Jun and got nothing, but later in the afternoon we got our email

seems to be hit & miss when the timing of the emails come out relative to the flight dates at the moment

Email Came through this morning
    Applied for refund
    Hoping to go next summer instead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Just checked on app
    Didn’t get an email

Is that with Ryanair? We were flying to lanzarote 24th june(AL) and home 8th July (RA) dreading trying to fight for our money back.

michellie wrote: »
    Is that with Ryanair? We were flying to lanzarote 24th june(AL) and home 8th July (RA) dreading trying to fight for our money back.

Yep ryanair
    Have applies for refund
    Email came through this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yep ryanair
    Have applies for refund
    Email came through this morning

Hope you get it in a reasonable time frame!

michellie wrote: »
    Hope you get it in a reasonable time frame!

I’ll be using it for next year anyway
    And won’t be booking that until the new year so I can see how things are looking !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Ryanair flights.

my flights are 21st June to Portugal
    and back 12th July.

I got an email earlier that my outbound flight to Portugal was cancelled on the 21st June.

However, NO mention of the flight home on the 12th July

When I check further, looks like only the 21st June one is cancelled but 12th July not yet.

On the ryanair "Refund Application Form" it gives me the option to tick the box for the 21st June AND 12th July.

I just want to be very careful here as don't want to make a b@lls of this.

Do I go ahead and start the refund process now for the outbound flight.
    And then another refund process for the inbound flight (whenever I get the mail abut this being cancelled)

OR just wait for the inbound flight to be cancelled also and do them both at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I got a cancellation email from ryanair yesterday.

The email had a link to request a refund but when i click the link it just says "an error has occurred, please check back later"

Am i better off ringing them to request a refund lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

obi604 wrote: »
    Ryanair flights.

and back 12th July.

I got an email earlier that my outbound flight to Portugal was cancelled on the 21st June.

When I check further, looks like only the 21st June one is cancelled but 12th July not yet.

On the ryanair "Refund Application Form" it gives me the option to tick the box for the 21st June AND 12th July.

And then another refund process for the inbound flight (whenever I get the mail abut this being cancelled)

OR just wait for the inbound flight to be cancelled also and do them both at once.

I presume you can apply for the refund for both flights, if you RA can't fly out you can't fly home.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    I presume you can apply for the refund for both flights, if you RA can't fly out you can't fly home.

mmm, god only knows with Ryanair, so I am just treading carefully.

Ryanair will probably say well the flight home was never cancelled so cant refund you for that etc would not surprise me.

Ryanair flights.

and back 12th July.

More than likely you will receive an email to cancel the other flight in a couple of weeks time..I would wait until both are cxld by Ryanair

The email had a link to request a refund but when i click the link it just says "an error has occurred, please check back later"

Just keep trying. It will work...

• Advertisement

It took me sometime to figure out the form but once I did it was able to go through.. the way to fill out the form is :

Select flight cancelled
    Your reservation number
    Airline code FR
    Return booking
    Affected flight Number : Put in the flight code for the returning booking
    Date of disrupted : Put in the returning date of the flight
    Put in the lead/first passengers name even though it might not be your name
    Click All customers on all flights booked
    Enter the encrypted code
    Submit
    Confirm yes
    And wait
    It should go through...once it goes through you will be offered a refund in 20days.
    What comes is a voucher in 20days which you either accept or join the queue for refund again...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

limabromac wrote: »
    It took me sometime to figure out the form but once I did it was able to go through.. the way to fill out the form is :

Select flight cancelled
    Your reservation number
    Airline code FR
    Return booking
    Affected flight Number : Put in the flight code for the returning booking
    Date of disrupted : Put in the returning date of the flight
    Put in the lead/first passengers name even though it might not be your name
    Click All customers on all flights booked
    Enter the encrypted code
    Submit
    Confirm yes
    And wait
    It should go through...once it goes through you will be offered a refund in 20days.
    What comes is a voucher in 20days which you either accept or join the queue for refund again...

Thanks for the reply

Ive no issue filling out the form, the issue is that when i click "submit" , it just says "error, please check back later"

Have been trying since 11am yesterday morning

Thanks for the reply

Ive no issue filling out the form, the issue is that when i click "submit" , it just says "error, please check back later"

Have been trying since 11am yesterday morning

No worries .. I think their system gets overloaded ... at the very start of all this in March people had better luck at 3am submitting the form .. : )

mmm, god only knows with Ryanair, so I am just treading carefully.

Ryanair will probably say well the flight home was never cancelled so cant refund you for that etc would not surprise me.

if the option is there for both flights to be cancelled now, I'd be inclined to request refunds for both

However RA have stated that flights could start up from 1st July so it might not get cancelled and you might not get another opportunity to apply for a refund for the return flight so if it was me I would apply for both now

They will review your claim anyway before processing it so no harm chancing your arm now

if the option is there for both flights to be cancelled now, I'd be inclined to request refunds for both

However RA have stated that flights could start up from 1st July so it might not get cancelled and you might not get another opportunity to apply for a refund for the return flight so if it was me I would apply for both now

They will review your claim anyway before processing it so no harm chancing your arm now

good point, im just trying to be very careful and not play in to their hands with some 'small print' type rubbish they could pull me up on

2 months after I raised a refund request, I now have a refund today via chargeback via Revolut. :):):)

Summary of my experience:
    - Chasing Aer Lingus direct: Worth trying but for me it was a waste of time. Several promises to refund in "7 days" or "48 hours" etc never materialised.
    - Flightrights.ie: Worth trying but for me it was a waste of time. Form complete, ignored. Chased by email. Chased by phone. Phone call got them moving but told to wait "at least 3 months".
    - SCC: Good experience, response inside the 15 days. Might have ultimately pushed Aer Lingus to okay the chargeback.
    - Chargeback: Best experience. Worked.

I would suggest that anyone looking for a refund:
    1. Complete the refund form and then wait 7 days which is how long a refund is supposed to take and when you don't get it:
    2. Raise a chargeback and if you still not get it after 30 days:
    3. Go to the SCC.

Aer Lingus, like Ryanair, are treating their customers like dirt. I won't forget that.

Anyway, thank you Paddy19 and all the posters here for your guidance.

2 months after I raised a refund request, I now have a refund today via cashback via Revolut. :):):)

Summary of my experience:
    - Chasing Aer Lingus direct: Worth trying but for me it was a waste of time. Several promises to refund in "7 days" or "48 hours" etc never materialised.
    - Flightrights.ie: Worth trying but for me it was a waste of time. Form complete, ignored. Chased by email. Chased by phone. Phone call got them moving but told to wait "at least 3 months".
    - SCC: Good experience, response inside the 15 days. Might have ultimately pushed Aer Lingus to okay the chargeback.
    - Chargeback: Best experience. Worked.

I would suggest that anyone looking for a refund:
    1. Complete the refund form and then wait 7 days which is how long a refund is supposed to take and when you don't get it:
    2. Raise a chargeback and if you still not get it after 30 days:
    3. Go to the SCC.

Aer Lingus, like Ryanair, are treating their customers like dirt. I won't forget that.

Anyway, thank you Paddy19 and all the posters here for your guidance.

Great news... Good to hear!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Got a full refund from Finnair today. Has booked through Expedia and had t o call them to cancel. Refund came through directly from Finnair after about two months of waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Just got my email aswell from Ryanair confirming both outbound & return flights to Fuerteventura (6th Jun & 20th Jun) are cancelled and to click on link to request refund

Surprised it went all the way through without crashing or being redirected

I got the confirmation page that my request was complete and this was the final line

"Once approved your refund request will be processed within 20 working days to the original form of payment and should show in your account within the next 5-7 working days. A confirmation email will be sent to the address provided in your booking"

So the most important 2 words that are vague are.......
    Once approved - could be anywhere from today to infinity

Had that email also today for Gran Canaria in June. So applied for refund. Seemed suspiciously easy to do. Watch this space as they say.

• Advertisement

Stratvs wrote: »
    Had that email also today for Gran Canaria in June. So applied for refund. Seemed suspiciously easy to do. Watch this space as they say.

ya too easy as you say

Advertisement