Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Got an email from Aer Lingus earlier telling me a flight had ben cancelled for June.

Got their usual crap email about a voucher which I dont want and no link to apply for a refund.

I found what appears to be a refund request form on their website and filled in my details.

I tried a couple of times but got the below error message. Has this happened to anyone?

"There was an error in the submission of your request. Please try your submission again.

Please go back to previous page and submit again.

If all else fails you can send an old fashioned hard copy mail per their T&C's with the refund details from the web form to:

Guest Relations Department, Aer Lingus Head Office, Dublin Airport, Co Dublin K67 PW99

Take a photo of the letter and the SAE to prove your request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gerrygman

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I've instructed the SCC that i would like this to proceed to court after Ryanair refused to pay, ill take my chances, scare tactics dont bother me, they'll likely do this with every single SCC claim hoping people back down.

I'm taking the same route.

Did you instruct the SSC via email or via the case on your csol.ie online account?

any tips or advice for the day in court?

thanks G

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I have flights with Etihad booked through Jetabroad.

I just got an email saying that Etihad don't do refunds, just credits.

So not jetabroad are saying I have credits with them and I'll be charged $50 per ticket to reissue the ticket upon making a new booking.

They also said they will cancel any chargeback requests my bank makes.
    Surely this can't be right???

Update from jetabroad T&C's:
    "Jetabroad is not liable for the cessation of service, or declaration of bankruptcy by any third party provider, including airlines. By agreeing to these terms and conditions, you agree that any claims arising from the cessation of service, or declaration of bankruptcy by any third party provider will not be directed at Jetabroad and that you will not raise a charge back against Jetabroad through your credit card issuing bank or other merchant facility provider (e.g. Paypal). In the unlikely event your travel plans are affected by a third party cessation of service, Jetabroad will assist you with alternate plans, or in attempting to recover your funds from the third party provider."

This is down to an argument about what does cessation of service mean.

I think it's reasonable to say the airlines has not stopped supplying a general service. This term is obviously where an airline stops all flights.

This is messy. Your money is now with Etihad not with jetabroad.
    Given they are trying to rip you off with $50 per ticket I don't have any sympathy for them.

They can try and refuse the chargeback. You can fight it by saying you bought a service
    that has not been provided per the credit cards T&C's.
    You did not buy a voucher. Quote EU261 8.1 a cash refund within 7 days, they are breaking the law.

Very much depends on your bank how much of a battle it will be.
    Bank of Ireland are getting good reviews.
    If the bank rejects you chargeback ask them to quote the revenant section from the VISA or MasterCard guide.

If your bank lets you down you can go after Etihad.

Under EU261 they are also responsible
    for the refund. I have found the resolver service good with Etihad in pre Covid days.

see our guide
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Problem surely is that jetabroad are not an EU based company? Will be much harder to fight them. I gave up booking flights through third parties a long time ago, so much easier to deal with the airline yourself, no passing from pillar to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭piaget

Email from Aer Lingus to say EI492, 494 and 496 to Faro between 31st May and 13th June have been cancelled.

No mention of a refund but a link to the EC261 regulation. This was an Airbus 330 flight so I would say the website will be hammered.

Is it better to go the postal route, also I paid for the flight using a credit card which I have cancelled as I switched cards. Anybody know if this will be refunded back to my bank account or am I stuck with a voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

piaget wrote: »
    Email from Aer Lingus to say EI492, 494 and 496 to Faro between 31st May and 13th June have been cancelled.

No mention of a refund but a link to the EC261 regulation. This was an Airbus 330 flight so I would say the website will be hammered.

Is it better to go the postal route, also I paid for the flight using a credit card which I have cancelled as I switched cards. Anybody know if this will be refunded back to my bank account or am I stuck with a voucher.

Myself and 7 family members are on EI492 Dublin - Faro 20th June and return 30th June.

So that’s going to be very interesting... surely we’ll get the same email as a week will make very little difference the way things are!!??

piaget wrote: »

I think you would be better go the postal route.

You will need to emphasise in bold capitals not to refund to your cancelled card.
    Also include all the details from the web form, all passengers, all flights.
    Double check everything.

Might be worth including a photocopy of your passport and
    the front of the new card as evidence for security.

I'd also include an IBAN for a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Myself and 7 family members are on EI492 Dublin - Faro 20th June and return 30th June.

So that’s going to be very interesting... surely we’ll get the same email as a week will make very little difference the way things are!!??

just FYI i got an email from them on 26th March cancelling a flight from the 18th March

Caranica wrote: »
    Problem surely is that jetabroad are not an EU based company? Will be much harder to fight them. I gave up booking flights through third parties a long time ago, so much easier to deal with the airline yourself, no passing from pillar to post.

Good point, but I think since jetabroadd operates in the EU it is subject to EU law
    despite their Terms and Conditions. I don't think you can sell products in the
    EU and then claim you are not subject to local laws.
    The problem is obviously enforcing the law, SCC is no help.

More interestingly, I only learned recently that EU261 does not recognise intermediaries.

It holds the airline liable no matter how the booking is made.

The upside with intermediates (online TA's.) is they are used by some
    airlines to provide reduced price tickets. Some airlines will accept changes
    directly from the passenger even though the ticket was sold through a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭piaget

paddy19 wrote: »
    I think you would be better go the postal route.

You will need to emphasise in bold capitals not to refund to your cancelled card.
    Also include all the details from the web form, all passengers, all flights.
    Double check everything.

Might be worth including a photocopy of your passport and
    the front of the new card as evidence for security.

I'd also include an IBAN for a bank account.

Thanks Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is Ryanair acting the maggot as usual.

Ryanair want to give the impression that you have to call or chat to reject the voucher so that they can try to get you to accept it.

Per EU261 you only have to request a refund once.
    Will they actually process that though? Are you still in this famous refund queue if you just ignore the vouchers?

(paid by debit card so not sure if chargeback is an option for me)

Will they actually process that though? Are you still in this famous refund queue if you just ignore the vouchers?

I was explicitly told I was not in the refund queue any more as I hadn't rejected the voucher. Paddy19 says the law says otherwise but I'd rather know I'm in a queue with millions of other people than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I was on to them on the chat there, took less than 10 mins to be fair. "I have requested a cash refund instead of your voucher, and you will receive a confirmation email about the rejection of the voucher in 2 days, but it is still valid until your cash refund is processed."

Caranica wrote: »
    I was explicitly told I was not in the refund queue any more as I hadn't rejected the voucher. Paddy19 says the law says otherwise but I'd rather know I'm in a queue with millions of other people than not.

That is outrageous.
    There is no requirement to reject this voucher if you have already requested a refund.
    Ryanair has no legal basis to cancel a legitimate refund request under EU261.

The other problem with the Ryanair queue is that it does not seem to be moving at all.
    If you need your money, the best option at the moment is a chargeback.

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair since the end of march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

So my outbound flight to Spain at the end of June has been cancelled but the return is still going ahead in early July. I think i read on here before that I can only claim a refund for the outbound flight, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Akabusi wrote: »
    So my outbound flight to Spain at the end of June has been cancelled but the return is still going ahead in early July. I think i read on here before that I can only claim a refund for the outbound flight, is that correct?

So you would be supposed to fly to Spain separately at some stage to get your original return flight back, its utter bollox isn't it?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi I tried chargeback with my Ulsterbank debit card and it seems to have been accepted to possibly go ahead on May 5th but I have zero faith in them:

"Hello,

Thanks for your claim against Ryanair. In light of the outbreak of coronavirus, we’re working through a large volume of claims whilst also experiencing high call volumes. Please bear with us and we’d ask that you only call if it’s absolutely critical, as we’ll be in touch with a response by 22/06/2020. Thanks for your continued patience.

Kind regards

Fraud and Chargeback Operations"

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just read that Aer Lingus are offering free changes on all flights up to September 30 but no further information that I can find. Does anyone know if you did decide to change do you have the option of a voucher or must you change immediately to a flight at a later date? Also, does it have to be the same route? As someone else has pointed out, not much good if you wanted the flight for summer next year as the schedule won't yet be released.

Akabusi wrote: »

If either leg of the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund.

That is outrageous.
    There is no requirement to reject this voucher if you have already requested a refund.
    Ryanair has no legal basis to cancel a legitimate refund request under EU261.

The other problem with the Ryanair queue is that it does not seem to be moving at all.
    If you need your money, the best option at the moment is a chargeback.

Has anyone got a refund from Ryanair since the end of march?

Alexa tells me it's 76 days since my application (11 March). No refund. From my communication with Ryanair they're not processing refunds at all until "the crisis is over". There are potentially millions of people in the queue based on Ryanair's average load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I may have been asked already but I applied for my refund a week or so back. Just got an email here offering a voucher, flight swap or refund.

The bit that has me puzzled is this from the mail:
    If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us.

Does this mean that my original refund request hasn't gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

hairyslug wrote: »
    I may have been asked already but I applied for my refund a week or so back. Just got an email here offering a voucher, flight swap or refund.

The bit that has me puzzled is this from the mail:
    If you do not wish to accept this voucher option and wish to move your flight or request a refund, please click here to contact us.

Does this mean that my original refund request hasn't gone through.

Original queue that you were originally in has now gone once they send this new email....

If you do nothing and you wait a year then the voucher that they have pushed on you gets apparently cash refunded...

For me, I went to the Click here part of the email which leads you haphazardly to the chat option, where you express your disapproval of the voucher and opt to remain in the refund cash queue...they will then say that you will be added to the cash refund Queue but that the voucher will be still valid should you change your mind before they issue the cash refund...

Nobody has received a cash refund from them at all since March....

Rang Open24 Permanent TSB about a charge back on my Ryanair flights.

Chap was friendly and seemed enthusiastic it could be done and I should have the cash in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi I tried chargeback with my Ulsterbank debit card and it seems to have been accepted to possibly go ahead on May 5th but I have zero faith in them:

"Hello,

Thanks for your claim against Ryanair. In light of the outbreak of coronavirus, we’re working through a large volume of claims whilst also experiencing high call volumes. Please bear with us and we’d ask that you only call if it’s absolutely critical, as we’ll be in touch with a response by 22/06/2020. Thanks for your continued patience.

Kind regards

Fraud and Chargeback Operations"

With BOI chargeback (credit card), there was no correspondence. There was, however, a refund to my card within 7 - 14 days of submitting the documents.

BOI are coming out trumps during this pandemic. I normally wouldn't speak too highly of BOI, but credit where it's due in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I got my money back a month ago via chargeback and yesterday Ryanair emailed me to say that I'm still in the queue for a refund and my voucher is still valid while I wait. So they have no idea I've already got my money back via chargeback. That may cost them even more, I'm sure some people will chance their arm and use the voucher after getting money back via chargeback.

Well done. Anyone who got money back from Ryanair deserves high honour.

Which bank?
    .G. wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will chance their arm and use the voucher after getting money back via chargeback.

Oh, very high risk, you could be refused boarding at any time, on any future flight.

Ryanair's T & C's specifically state:

Article 7 - Refusing to carry a passenger

"You owe us any money in connection with a previous flight as we did not receive the payment for any reason."

Michael O'Leary has a very different attitude when he is owed money. :mad:

Obviously when he owes you money it's a totally different story. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I finally got around to posting my request for an overdue refund to Ryanair today.
    I expect absolutely nothing to come of it, but I want to have a full set of documentation for my BoI charge back request next week.
    When I was addressing the letter to "Ryanair Customer Service Department", I thought that's probably the most oxymoronic thing I'll ever write.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm a bit confused by it all, got the flight cancellations email (few weeks ago), clicked on the apply for refund link - filled in all the details required, and (took me a few attempts to submit it) submitted the application. Was told it was successfully submitted.

Then the other day I get an email with voucher blah blah and if I don't want the voucher click here - where there seems to be a load of information on how to use the voucher (I didn't want) and nothing very clear about what I'm supposed to do of I want my cash back.

(I can see from this thread you're supposed to click on the chat function.)

I'm confused though, I thought I already had applied for a cash refund and pretty sure I read somewhere that it would be sent to me in 7 working days (open to correction) now it appears they have issued me a voucher despite me specifically stating I wanted a cash refund, and going through the process of applying for same. Now they're asking me to take a voucher or join a refund queue?

Am I obliged to join this queue does anyone know? I've already expressed my desire to have a cash refund.

Flight cost was just shy of 2k - paid by revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by it all, got the flight cancellations email (few weeks ago), clicked on the apply for refund link - filled in all the details required, and (took me a few attempts to submit it) submitted the application. Was told it was successfully submitted.

Then the other day I get an email with voucher blah blah and if I don't want the voucher click here - where there seems to be a load of information on how to use the voucher (I didn't want) and nothing very clear about what I'm supposed to do of I want my cash back.

(I can see from this thread you're supposed to click on the chat function.)

I'm confused though, I thought I already had applied for a cash refund and pretty sure I read somewhere that it would be sent to me in 7 working days (open to correction) now it appears they have issued me a voucher despite me specifically stating I wanted a cash refund, and going through the process of applying for same. Now they're asking me to take a voucher or join a refund queue?

Am I obliged to join this queue does anyone know? I've already expressed my desire to have a cash refund.

Flight cost was just shy of 2k - paid by revolut.

Unfortunately Ryanair has designed this to be a conundrum ...none of it is straight forward .. most people in this thread have had the same confusing question so you are not alone in asking it....

You have already asked for a refund
    You did not ask for a voucher
    Ryanair over ruled this request and sent you a voucher
    The original queue has now disbanded
    If you do nothing you will have to wait until the voucher expires and receive a cash refund apparently automatically

However...if you chat with them and confirm your stance that you still want a refund they will oblige you by confirming that "you are now in the cash refund Queue but that if you change your mind you can still avail of the voucher"
    They will email you this confirmation of chat, they will also send you a generic email which most people have received to confirm that they are in the cash refund Queue...

I would rather have that in my back pocket rather than doing nothing. ..

Your confusion is the same as everyone else's and ryanair lap it up as they designed it this way....

I would like it if this could get stickied somewhere please as it the most common question and confusion that people have .....

Generic cash refund Queue confirmation post refusal of voucher....
    Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent correspondence regarding your booking J9TH6X.

I acknowledge that you do not wish to accept your refund in voucher format at this time and have requested to remain on the cash refund queue. Please note that until such time as you receive your cash refund, your voucher will remain valid and can be used to purchase flights and ancillaries for any future trip you might wish to plan. Please note that our refund processing has been negatively affected by the Covid19 crisis however we will process your refund as soon as possible.

Our priority remains the health and well-being of our people and customers and our communities. Thank you sincerely for your patience and support.

Yours sincerely,
    Ryanair Customer Services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Jetabroad now told me that they cannot give me money they don't have as Etihad have my money and ar only doing refund in the form of a voucher. It will cost be €50 or so for the pleasure of using this voucher via jetabroad.

Advertisement