Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

The best way to expedite a Ticketmaster refund is to DM them on Twitter with your ticket number and they will process your refund straight away.

I wonder would a similar tactic work with Aer Lingus?

Well I know it definitely doesn't work like that for RA ; )

Fair play to Ticketmaster, very fast and efficient..didn't want to give up those tickets but more than likely could pick them up next year ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just as an FYI I received a refund from Wizz Air this morning for a cancelled flight in April (Luton - St Petersburg). Timeline below:

24/03 - Flight cancellation notification
    28/03 - Credit placed in account (you must request this before converting to refund) and cash refund conversion requested
    14/04 - Date of original flight and received auto email on this date to confirm I don't need to take any more action and that they have received my refund request and that processing will take significantly longer than usual.
    28/05 - Refund received

Might be helpful for anyone awaiting refund from Wizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    thanks, so my refund request was on 18th May. so only 9 days ago.

sounds like next step is chargeback option. Do I have to wait 30 days from refund request date to begin this?

Then if this fails, are the next steps equal to:

- SCC
    THEN
    - Flight rights

Sorry for all the q's , just trying to figure out the dates and amount of days to leave between X and Y. and the best order of things and if you can really only do one request at a time or have them all running together (chargeback, CSS, flight rights)

just got the below email.

I already applied for a refund on May 18th.

what is the next step here?
    contact them via chat and say I want a refund , not interested in moving the flight ?

Dear Customer,

We apologise for any inconvenience caused from your recent flight cancellation.

We sent you an email inviting you to move your cancelled flight for free or apply for a refund. Moving your flight is very easy, there are no change fees, you don’t have to pay the fare difference and you can travel to any destination on our network. Please check Ryanair.com as there may be options for you to move to an alternative flight on the next/previous day to your original.

We’re operating over 1,000 flights a day from 1 July and we’ve introduced new health measures on board to protect our guests and people. Free Move is a great option if you still wish to travel over the next couple of months and we’ve made a short video to show you how to complete your Free Move in 4 easy steps. Click here.

We look forward to welcoming you on board in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

obi604 wrote: »
    just got the below email.

I already applied for a refund on May 18th.

what is the next step here?
    contact them via chat and say I want a refund , not interested in moving the flight ?

Dear Customer,

We apologise for any inconvenience caused from your recent flight cancellation.

We sent you an email inviting you to move your cancelled flight for free or apply for a refund. Moving your flight is very easy, there are no change fees, you don’t have to pay the fare difference and you can travel to any destination on our network. Please check Ryanair.com as there may be options for you to move to an alternative flight on the next/previous day to your original.

We’re operating over 1,000 flights a day from 1 July and we’ve introduced new health measures on board to protect our guests and people. Free Move is a great option if you still wish to travel over the next couple of months and we’ve made a short video to show you how to complete your Free Move in 4 easy steps. Click here.

Yours sincerely,

I think that is a generic email... Also if I remember you are on day 10 of refund so day 20 you will receive an email with a voucher...so no steps required by you yet ...
    day 20 voucher and then you decide whether you accept Voucher, do nothing and wait, contact Ryanair to express frustration at voucher and ask to be put into new refund Queue ...or SCC, chargeback, flightrights channel... (You will need all proof that you tried your very best to get a refund...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

limabromac wrote: »
    Great so you did A and C...chatted to them to get back on the refund list... And have you received your money into your bank account or at least that it's on the way back you your account....

I hope you are right. I don't think Ryanair are processing refunds.
    They have said continually stated that refunds will processed when the "crisis is over".

Which the UK consumer magazine are reporting that:
    84% of Ryanair customers surveyed said they were still waiting for a refund,
    versus 63% of easyJet customers and just 23%
    and 19% of British Airways and Jet2 customers respectively.

Has anyone actually got a refund from Ryanair since they stopped at the end of march?
    Apart from one chargeback I haven't seen one refund since then.

• Advertisement

I think that is a generic email... Also if I remember you are on day 10 of refund so day 20 you will receive an email with a voucher...so no steps required by you yet ...
    day 20 voucher and then you decide whether you accept Voucher, do nothing and wait, contact Ryanair to express frustration at voucher and ask to be put into new refund Queue ...or SCC, chargeback, flightrights channel... (You will need all proof that you tried your very best to get a refund...)

You do not need to show that you did your very best to get a refund.

You need to show that you requested a refund once.
    That is all this is required and all that should be required.

Ryanair are mischievously trying to make it as difficult and confusing as possible to request/track a refund.
    Aer Lingus give you a case number and email address to track it.

Ryanair should not be supported in this activity.
    The online systems are well able to track refund requests,
    there is no need to have verify, reinstate or reapply your application.

paddy19 wrote: »
    You do not need to show that you did your very best to get a refund.

You need to show that you requested a refund once.
    That is all this is required and all that should be required.

Ryanair are mischievously trying to make it as difficult and confusing as possible to request a refund.
    Aer Lingus give you a case number and email address to track it.

Ryanair should not be supported in this activity.
    The online systems are well able to track refund requests,
    there is no need to have verify, reinstate or reapply your application.

Yes but surely if you go down the SCC , chargeback or flightrights route you need to show all proof that you requested a refund... And the more proof you have the easier it is ( piece of mind) that you are successful in your claim...
    Again none of this is legal or a legitimate correct way to refund anybody ...ra are definitely dragging their heels cos no one has told them not to...

Yesterday morning on this thread a couple of people reported successful refunds direct from ryanair.... Wednesday..page 50 I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dear Customer,

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by your recent flight cancellation.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Group Customer Care (Ryanair DAC, Lauda & Malta Air)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

From a Ryanair chat today, looks like Ryanair are no longer processing refunds UFN.

No Refund.png

Yes but surely if you go down the SCC , chargeback or flightrights route you need to show all proof that you requested a refund... And the more proof you have the easier it is ( piece of mind) that you are successful in your claim...
    Again none of this is legal or a legitimate correct way to refund anybody ...ra are definitely dragging their heels cos no one has told them not to...

Yesterday morning on this thread a couple of people reported successful refunds direct from ryanair.... Wednesday..page 50 I think....

I can understand the temptation to bullet proof your claim but I think it is misguided.
    More is not better, more is confusing and gives Ryanair an opening that they will happily grab.

There is only one requirement per EU261.
    You must request a refund and be able to provide proof that you did.
    Anything after that is irrelevant and a dangerous distraction.

It could be implied that you accepted a voucher or agreed to cancel your request by agreeing to being put in a new queue.
    Take a look at the Ryanair kitchen sink defence.
    Anything that can confuse the picture will be gleefully grabbed.
    It allows the airline to muddy the waters.

You can legally request a refund by sending a hard copy letter to the airline headquarters.
    You don't need to do anything after that. The airline should just process the refund.

• Advertisement

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just as an FYI I received a refund from Wizz Air this morning for a cancelled flight in April (Luton - St Petersburg). Timeline below:

24/03 - Flight cancellation notification
    28/03 - Credit placed in account (you must request this before converting to refund) and cash refund conversion requested
    14/04 - Date of original flight and received auto email on this date to confirm I don't need to take any more action and that they have received my refund request and that processing will take significantly longer than usual.
    28/05 - Refund received

Might be helpful for anyone awaiting refund from Wizz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I got an email from Aer Lingus regarding voucher in late March:

“ Thank you for your voucher request. Your booking has been cancelled and you do not need to take any further action.

Your Aer Lingus voucher - plus 10% - will be sent to you shortly. Due to the large number of people changing their travel plans, there may be a slight delay”

2 months late I haven’t heard any more. Is this abnormal?

" Unfortunately, cash refunds cannot be automated.

Customers who choose a voucher, but don't redeem it
    within 12 months will automatically obtain a refund after this 12 month period."

m/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher#!

How can Ryanair automatically issue a refund in 12 months time but cannot automatically do it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

“ Thank you for your voucher request. Your booking has been cancelled and you do not need to take any further action.

Your Aer Lingus voucher - plus 10% - will be sent to you shortly. Due to the large number of people changing their travel plans, there may be a slight delay”

Plus 10% ?
    I’d take that if Ryanair offered me !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

shocksy wrote: »
    Just after getting an email from Ryanair, pushing their agenda for me to change my cancelled flight from March free of charge.
    That is strange,
    I would have thought that the flights scheduled in the past would disappear from the My Booking section altogether.
    So is it still be possible to change a flight scheduled in the past ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

FR flights cancelled that were part of a package holiday, travel agent has said Ryanair are quoting 12 MONTHS to get s cash refund.....so a voucher is suggested or we can change holiday date with travel agent.

Contract is with the travel agent not airline, package holidays are supposed to have enhanced protection compared to 'flight only' bookings.

If travel agent who our contract is with won't refund, will go down the charge back route with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Got same email on 24th of March but no voucher yet. My flight actually went but they were offering vouchers and hadn’t planned to travel so was happy to take it and wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Collie D wrote: »
    Got same email on 24th of March but no voucher yet. My flight actually went but they were offering vouchers and hadn’t planned to travel so was happy to take it and wait.

Thanks, will leave it until the end of June and contact them if I haven’t heard anything. Just seeing if 2 months was unusual or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

Not sure if this thread is for airline refunds only, but before the pandemic I had a booking at a Radisson hotel. The price was inflated because of an event that was happening and it was a non refundable rate with full payment taken at the time of booking.

I recently contacted the hotel to request a refund as they will not be open due to the restrictions for the time of my stay. I was told that because my booking was non-refundable, no refund would be offered and the only option I have is to take up a credit for the value of my booking.

I would have thought since the hotel cannot provide accommodation for the period of my stay it was a slam dunk refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is for airline refunds only, but before the pandemic I had a booking at a Radisson hotel. The price was inflated because of an event that was happening and it was a non refundable rate with full payment taken at the time of booking.

I recently contacted the hotel to request a refund as they will not be open due to the restrictions for the time of my stay. I was told that because my booking was non-refundable, no refund would be offered and the only option I have is to take up a credit for the value of my booking.

I would have thought since the hotel cannot provide accommodation for the period of my stay it was a slam dunk refund?

Melia Hotels are trying this on. I got my refund. They cannot refuse you a refund if they could not provide you with the service that you paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Im watching this thread closely so I would like to everyone know I got my refund today of 59.98€ from RA .

I had flight booked to PL 23-27/03 wich was cancelled.Ive got voucher on 24/04.I asked for refund few days after and refund came today.I didnt do chargeback .

I have 2 more vouchers 24-27/05 so im expecting them to be refunded as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anyone manage to get a refund from easyJet? Flight was due end of March but didn't apply for a refund on their ludicrous system until middle of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Natwest chargeback from Ryanair just came in :D

Im watching this thread closely so I would like to everyone know I got my refund today of 59.98€ from RA .

I had flight booked to PL 23-27/03 wich was cancelled.Ive got voucher on 24/04.I asked for refund few days after and refund came today.I didnt do chargeback .

I have 2 more vouchers 24-27/05 so im expecting them to be refunded as well[/quote..

well done ..happy Friday...good news is trickling in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

From a Ryanair chat today, looks like Ryanair are no longer processing refunds UFN.

No Refund.png

I think it's fairly obvious from the text of that, what Ryanair's gameplan is.

They want the Govt to remove the 2 weeks quarantine requirement so they're using the guidelines as an excuse not to process refunds.
    They're not going to issue refunds until the govt lets them fly again.

Unfortunately it's their own customers who they have taken hostage and are threatening to shoot unless they get what they want.

I have 2 more vouchers 24-27/05 so im expecting them to be refunded as well

This is interesting, I think your march refund might have just got in under the wire.

I hope the 2 later vouchers deliver the cash as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Still trying to get a refund from AirBaltic. Paid with PayPal back in March. they keep lying, telling me different dates that they have already refunded.
    Have escalated it with PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Just got an email from Ryanair saying they've processed my refund and the voucher they issued is now void.

Risteard wrote: »
    Just got an email from Ryanair saying they've processed my refund and the voucher they issued is now void.

Excellent, that's a first!

Never heard of Ryanair voiding a voucher before.

What magic did you use to move Ryanair?

When was the flight date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

paddy19 wrote: »
    Excellent, that's a first!

Never heard of Ryanair voiding a voucher before.

What magic did you use to move Ryanair?

When was the flight date?

Outboun flight date was 26 March. Had gone through the whole process of requesting a refund, then being offered a voucher.

On the advice here I went on the live chat to request the refund. Then I was sent the voucher and told if unused after a year I would be refunded.

Didn't do anything after that and just got this email this morning.

Advertisement