Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Caranica wrote: »
    20,000,000 refunds to process. Timeline, long!

Ryanair has said they will clear backlog within 8-10 weeks, a big drop from the year quoted a while ago. I suspect they have miraculously found a way to automate the refund process (as if it was really anything but) to meet that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryanair has said they will clear backlog within 8-10 weeks, a big drop from the year quoted a while ago. I suspect they have miraculously found a way to automate the refund process (as if it was really anything but) to meet that timeframe.

I'm waiting since 11 March so really hoping it's soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

A lot of talk about Ryanair here in the last number of pages but has anyone had any communication with Aer Lingus recently?

I contacted their CC again last week to ask about the Voucher i'd applied for, and got the same response as before - "voucher will be issued shortly".

Applied for the voucher on March 20th for a March 22nd flight. Got the confirmation/acknowledgement of voucher application email some weeks later. It's been nearly 12 weeks since the application. €700 worth of flights so not exactly a small sum.

Generally I have patience but my inner conspiracy theorist is beginning to wonder if this is some kind of effort to avoid giving credit back or refunding at all and they have no intention of doing so. We'd use the voucher asap if we had it.

Anyone else waiting this long?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I sent off my AIB chargeback for Ryanair today, have Aerlingus flights for August, might see what next few weeks brings and just change them to another date in the hope we might get to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I had a good experience with Croatia Airlines. I applied for a voucher last week since flights to Dublin are resuming next week. I received the voucher today. It's valid for bookings within the next 12 months but flights can be outside that period.

They responded to my enquiries quickly by both email and phone. At least some airlines still have good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Probably going to be cancelling flights next month (just holding out in the hopes that the airline cancels first). If I cancel I'll only be entitled to a travel voucher.

Flights were close to 3k but I also paid €200 in baggage fees. Anyone have any idea if baggage fees at least are cash refundable in these circumstances? The airline is Air France.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Had a package holiday with budget travel booked to Spain for end of this month. Ryanair cancelled the flights and agent said I had to join the refund Q with the airline, said they could not refund money they did not have.

Told them my contract is with agent and not the airline.

Sent off the chargeback paperwork last Tuesday to BOI....full refund of the deposit which was for just over a grand landed back on BOI Mastercard today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Probably going to be cancelling flights next month (just holding out in the hopes that the airline cancels first). If I cancel I'll only be entitled to a travel voucher.

Flights were close to 3k but I also paid €200 in baggage fees. Anyone have any idea if baggage fees at least are cash refundable in these circumstances? The airline is Air France.

I don't think you meant you'd cancel in the normal sense but be very careful.

If you cancel you get nothing, except government fees.

The baggage fees are refundable.

Everything on the invoice is refundable.

With Air France you get a non refundable voucher that dies on 31 December 2021.

This is crap unless you are very sure you want to travel.

You should consider playing the refund game.

If you original trip looks like its going to fly rebook to a flight that is less likely to fly. You have to do bit of work but it's worth a try.

see post #711 on page 48.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Just got this email from Ryanair:
    Our Ref: XXXXXX

Dear Customer,

We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account.

The amount refunded to your credit/debit card/method of payment is EUR XXX.XX

Please note the travel voucher issued has been voided and can no longer be used.

Yours sincerely,

For flights that were cancelled in March - about bloody time!! I know someone else who got this email recently and the money did actually go into their account within the specified timeframe, so hope there won't be any issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Had a package holiday with budget travel booked to Spain for end of this month. Ryanair cancelled the flights and agent said I had to join the refund Q with the airline, said they could not refund money they did not have.

Told them my contract is with agent and not the airline.

Sent off the chargeback paperwork last Tuesday to BOI....full refund of the deposit which was for just over a grand landed back on BOI Mastercard today :)

Good on ya Sheep Shagger and Bank of Ireland.

Jays Michael O'Leary better check the bank balance he had €4 billion a wee while back.

Under good old EU261 Ryanair are liable not the travel agent.

You cannot believe a word operators in call centres tell you.
    I don't blame the operators they get the lead from the top.
    It's got to be the most soul destroying job.

Maybe in blinding insight Michael has finally copped on
    that screwing customers around does not help put bums on seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

paddy19 wrote: »
    G. Did the bank give you any details on what Ryanair were disputing?
    What's the appeal process from here on?
    Which Bank and card are you with?

A few have asked but I'll respomd to this one. Basically Ryanair dispute the chargeback with Mastercard/visa and as soon as they do that the money is deducted from your account again. In my case they said that since they provided me with a voucher for the full amount they feel the chargeback is unjustified. I then have to respond to this to explain my position and then Mastercard make the final call.

Mine is on hold as they actually sent me an email saying they'd refunded me, this was seemingly right after they disputed the chargeback so my bank, N26, want to wait and see if the refund arrives before they send my response to Ryanairs dispute argument back to Mastercard. The time line for this ends tomorrow as they said I'd have the money within 5-7 days. 7th day is tomorrow.

Either way once again means I'm out off pocket while Ryanair act the maggot when they're 100% in the wrong. I wasn't too arsed earlier in the process but I'll genuinely never fly with them again after all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Has anyone had an Aer Lingus flight cancelled recently? I have a flight from Perpignan back to Dublin on Sunday week that they still haven't cancelled yet. I presume they're just leaving it as late as possible to get as many as they can to apply for their vouchers.

My flight this Sunday still not officially cancelled yet, but if I login to my account on Aer Lingus and try and check in for the flight it tells me the booking has been cancelled. What are they at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

woodchuck wrote: »
    Just got this email from Ryanair:

For flights that were cancelled in March - about bloody time!! I know someone else who got this email recently and the money did actually go into their account within the specified timeframe, so hope there won't be any issues there.

That's great, what date in March? My cancellation was 20th March for a April 1st flight still waiting .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Looks like people mustn’t be booking as MO’L would have us believe, free to change your flight if you book for summer https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/1270301773429948417?s=21

Have to say after all this messing with RA I will be very reluctant to using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

[PHP][/PHP]
    That's great, what date in March? My cancellation was 20th March for a April 1st flight still waiting .

We were due to fly on 29th March, returning 5th April.

The outbound flight was cancelled on 17th March and the return flight was cancelled on 20th March.

I was so tempted to go through flightrights or try a chargeback etc. I'd like to say I was patient, but I was really just lazy :P Delighted it has finally worked out anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

My flight this Sunday still not officially cancelled yet, but if I login to my account on Aer Lingus and try and check in for the flight it tells me the booking has been cancelled. What are they at.

My A/L flights to Barcelona on July 3rd were cancelled last Friday. They were ex Shannon though, so maybe that might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

1. Flight cancelled by Ryanair 21st of march. ( refund request submitted then)
    2. A few holding emails sent by ryanair
    3. 21st of April Logged a complaint with Ryanair.
    4. 23rd of April refund voucher offered and declined
    5. 29th of April Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    6. 9th of May Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    7. 25th of May Email from Ryanair on how to use the voucher
    8. 09th of June Email from Ryanair to say voucher been cancelled and refund been put back on the Card allow 5 to 7 days for the bank to proccess.

Hope this helps with time lines

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

paddy19 wrote: »
    With Air France you get a non refundable voucher that dies on 31 December 2021.

This is crap unless you are very sure you want to travel.

You should consider playing the refund game.

If you original trip looks like its going to fly rebook to a flight that is less likely to fly. You have to do bit of work but it's worth a try.

see post #711 on page 48.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

Thanks for that, good advice there! I actually got the email this morning to say that they've cancelled one of the main legs of my trip which gives me some better options.

Now I have the option of a refundable voucher (worth an extra 15% if I travel before 31st October) or a refund. Looks like they just updated the refund policy on their website yesterday, before this they were only openly offering vouchers with no mention of refunds.

I might have been tempted by the voucher if the extra 15% lasted the full length of the voucher but chances of me going anywhere before end of October are slim to none so I'll grab that refund with both hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

irbx wrote: »
    1. Flight cancelled by Ryanair 21st of march. ( refund request submitted then)
    2. A few holding emails sent by ryanair
    3. 21st of April Logged a complaint with Ryanair.
    4. 23rd of April refund voucher offered and declined
    5. 29th of April Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    6. 9th of May Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    7. 25th of May Email from Ryanair on how to use the voucher
    8. 09th of June Email from Ryanair to say voucher been cancelled and refund been put back on the Card allow 5 to 7 days for the bank to proccess.

Hope this helps with time lines

HOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

HOW?

Via online chat or phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Caranica wrote: »
    Via online chat or phone

Thanks!

Yea, got the lovely Greta there on chat and an email shortly after ...
    Dear Customer,

I refer to your recent correspondence regarding your booking ****

I acknowledge that you do not wish to accept your refund in voucher format at this time and have requested to remain on the cash refund queue. Please note that until such time as you receive your cash refund, your voucher will remain valid and can be used to purchase flights and ancillaries for any future trip you might wish to plan. Please note that our refund processing has been negatively affected by the Covid19 crisis however we will process your refund as soon as possible.

Our priority remains the health and well-being of our people and customers and our communities. Thank you sincerely for your patience and support.

Yours sincerely,
    Ryanair Customer Services.

..waiting game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hoping someone can give me a quick steer.

We booked Knock to Alicante for July 4th and RA are flying that route.
    Obviously not going to go.

I see RA are allowing a free change but it looks like recently booked flight for July and Aug?
    I suspect I can't get a refund, is a voucher still an option or can I re-book for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

received the same email, when the money is in my account only then will i believe it and cancel my scc claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

PARlance wrote: »
    Hoping someone can give me a quick steer.

We booked Knock to Alicante for July 4th and RA are flying that route.
    Obviously not going to go.

I see RA are allowing a free change but it looks like recently booked flight for July and Aug?
    I suspect I can't get a refund, is a voucher still an option or can I re-book for next year?

Try and change it for free under "my bookings"

Yes you are correct that you will not be able to receive a voucher or refund if the flight is still going ..

RA are saying that all flights will return by July so you have to wait for them to back track and cancel this flight to apply for a refund/voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

limabromac wrote: »
    Try and change it for free under "my bookings"

Yes you are correct that you will not be able to receive a voucher or refund if the flight is still going ..

RA are saying that all flights will return by July so you have to wait for them to back track and cancel this flight to apply for a refund/voucher.

Thanks, had been hoping that our flight wasn't one of the rescheduled ones but I checked this morning and there it is, flying. I am surprised (maybe not surprised) that the Government hasn't stepped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭some1gr8

Hi
    I booked flights with BA, back in jan for travel in March but my flights were cancelled and then I was issued flight vouchers even though I never asked for it. I was looking for Refund. I called BA customer service, they are refusing to issue refund.
    Is there any body else in similarly situation and the what are my options??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

some1gr8 wrote: »
    Hi
    I booked flights with BA, back in jan for travel in March but my flights were cancelled and then I was issued flight vouchers even though I never asked for it. I was looking for Refund. I called BA customer service, they are refusing to issue refund.
    Is there any body else in similarly situation and the what are my options??

You don't have any options. You have to take the voucher. They won't exchange a voucher for a refund. They have purposely worded their policy terribly and people are clicking on the cancel and refund button and being issued vouchers.
    To get a refund you have to contact them directly. I started the refund process through twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

If you booked via PayPal just open a dispute there. Had my money back in less than 3 days.

If you booked via credit card you can do a charge back through your bank but its a bit slower as they want proof you engaged looking for a refund which you may have if you were emailing back and forth

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Got my money back this morning through a charge back from BOI.
    Took about 8 working days.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Got my money back this morning through a charge back from BOI.
    Took about 8 working days.

That's super, AIB told me it would take 2-3 weeks to even acknowledge receiving my paper work.

Advertisement