Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

pc7 wrote: »
    That's super, AIB told me it would take 2-3 weeks to even acknowledge receiving my paper work.

BOI told me the same but it was in my account this morning.
    Now to see if Multitrip cover my "inconvenience" and loss of accommodation.
    Renewed in January so Im well covered with that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Having a tough time getting a refund from a small Latin American airline, Interjet. Got notified by a third party app (Check My Trip) that my flight had been cancelled but when I checked the airline website it was still showing as confirmed.

I tried doing a dummy booking for the same flights on the same day and got a message saying the route was suspended due to Covid-19. I called the airline and the agent I spoke to confirmed that the flight was cancelled and I could have a date or route change only, no refund or even a voucher. Asked them to email me confirmation that the flight had to been cancelled and he refused saying that "the system isn't set up for that."

I booked the flights on a TSB credit card. Can I do a charge back without written proof that my flight is cancelled? I booked the flights in February and I have to do a charge back within 120 days if I'm not mistaken which only gives me about one week. Has anyone had any success in doing a charge back with TSB? Flights are worth about €480.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You don't have any options. You have to take the voucher. They won't exchange a voucher for a refund. They have purposely worded their policy terribly and people are clicking on the cancel and refund button and being issued vouchers.
    To get a refund you have to contact them directly. I started the refund process through twitter.

You don't have to take an Airline voucher.

The EU261 8 1 a law is clear. If they don't fly you are entitled to a cash refund within 7 days.

Now getting the money is whole different ball game but we need to remain very clear on the law
    because that becomes the basis for getting a refund through other channels.

Chargeback and PayPal seem to be the best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

TAP are, like others, making it difficult for customers. They are pushing their vouchers and not sending cancellation notifications (I had to use the manage booking option to identify that my flights have been cancelled...)
    They are only offering vouchers on the website, and there is no contact email published. I filed 4 cancellation complaints (each passenger, each leg) because their system only allows you to specify one passenger, one flight. Hopefully that covers my requirement to document my attempts at getting a refund.

Has anyone successfully obtained a refund from TAP yet ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

I got an email from Aer Lingus cancelling my flights to Nice on June 23rd and back the 29th, I filled out the refund request form online and I got an email with a case reference number and all that,

do I just sit and wait (like everyone else) or should I go ahead with chargeback or something, flights were paid by PayPal,

thanks...

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Having a tough time getting a refund from a small Latin American airline, Interjet. Got notified by a third party app (Check My Trip) that my flight had been cancelled but when I checked the airline website it was still showing as confirmed.

I tried doing a dummy booking for the same flights on the same day and got a message saying the route was suspended due to Covid-19. I called the airline and the agent I spoke to confirmed that the flight was cancelled and I could have a date or route change only, no refund or even a voucher. Asked them to email me confirmation that the flight had to been cancelled and he refused saying that "the system isn't set up for that."

I booked the flights on a TSB credit card. Can I do a charge back without written proof that my flight is cancelled? I booked the flights in February and I have to do a charge back within 120 days if I'm not mistaken which only gives me about one week. Has anyone had any success in doing a charge back with TSB? Flights are worth about €480.

The good news is that 120 day limit is from the date the service was to be delivered
    not the date on your statement. Has to be like this otherwise far advanced bookings would never be covered.
    The dummy booking message should be fine.

You could back it up by using one of the flight tracking websites flightaware or flightstats as proof that it did not fly.

kop77 wrote: »
    I got an email from Aer Lingus cancelling my flights to Nice on June 23rd and back the 29th, I filled out the refund request form online and I got an email with a case reference number and all that,

do I just sit and wait (like everyone else) or should I go ahead with chargeback or something, flights were paid by PayPal,

thanks...

Obviously your call, you'll get the money eventually buy I'd be inclined to try PayPal.
    After all that's what they get there money for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    received the same email, when the money is in my account only then will i believe it and cancel my scc claim.

Me too. 7th day is today. No money yet.

some1gr8 wrote: »
    Hi
    I booked flights with BA, back in jan for travel in March but my flights were cancelled and then I was issued flight vouchers even though I never asked for it. I was looking for Refund. I called BA customer service, they are refusing to issue refund.
    Is there any body else in similarly situation and the what are my options??

Options are outlined in the sticky:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

Chargeback and PayPal seem to be working best.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

paddy19 wrote: »
    The good news is that 120 day limit is from the date the service was to be delivered
    not the date on your statement. Has to be like this otherwise far advanced bookings would never be covered.
    The dummy booking message should be fine.

You could back it up by using one of the flight tracking websites flightaware or flightstats as proof that it did not fly.

Thank you for that, you are really a fantastic resource on here! That's great news about the 120 day limit, gives me much more time to sort things out.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Me too. 7th day is today. No money yet.

Oh ye of little faith, who do not believe the many promises of those wonderful people who fly you through the air.

pc7 wrote: »
    That's super, AIB told me it would take 2-3 weeks to even acknowledge receiving my paper work.

I know, I should know by now, but the arrogance of the
    Banksters like AIB never ceases to amaze me...

What other business would make you print hardcopies from a computer
    screen and mail them by post to prove that a flight was cancelled and a refund requested.
    Then tell you it takes them 2 to 3 weeks to acknowledge receipt.

This bank is owned by you and me!

Where are the well paid regulators?

Bank Of Ireland are showing how it can and should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Paddy I just wanted to say you're a legend. Thank you for all the work you do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

michellie wrote: »
    Paddy I just wanted to say you're a legend. Thank you for all the work you do here.

Second this... : )

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Was due to fly out on 21st June to Reus. Ryanair cancelled the other flight to Reus that day but have changed the flight to Barcelona El Prat. They have given me the option to request a refund or accept the changes. Will be requesting the refund but judging by everyones comments here, I could be waiting a long time to get it :(

Oglaigh84 wrote: »
    Was due to fly out on 21st June to Reus. Ryanair cancelled the other flight to Reus that day but have changed the flight to Barcelona El Prat. They have given me the option to request a refund or accept the changes. Will be requesting the refund but judging by everyones comments here, I could be waiting a long time to get it :(

The good news is you'll get your money eventually when that well known epidemiologist Michael O'Leary decides Covid is over!

The minimum hassle option is www.flightrights.ie.

Chargeback is getting mixed reports and with some banks you'll have to post documents.

Got my Aer Lingus refund last week and just redeemed my Ryanair Voucher on what was already an extremely low airfare for July.
    The only problem I had with the Voucher was it didn't match the surname until a comma was added.
    I'm quite happy with the behaviour/performance of both the Irish airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The good news is you'll get your money eventually when that well known epidemiologist Michael O'Leary decides Covid is over!

The minimum hassle option is www.flightrights.ie.

Chargeback is getting mixed reports and with some banks you'll have to post documents.

Don't think FlightRights is much use Paddy, heard nothing since I got automatic reply 29th April when I submitted complaint

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just a quick note on this one that applies to BOI.

If you need to do a charge back with BOI you dont need to actually post documents.You can scan and email despite what they tell you on the phone.

Scan and email to Chargebacks@boi.com and also copy to chargebacks@boi.com

Note the capital "C" on the first email address. Make sure you copy both.Mine did not go through and they kept telling me it was the one with a Capital "C"

They only received it when I sent it to both and yet both of them returned a read request-strange.

Also if you want a speedy resolution.
    Send in the following by email.

1.Booking from Ryanair website with flight reference number clear on it.
    2.Cancellation email.
    3.If you have a transcript from chat - make it clear that do not want vouchers and that you are unsure if you will be travelling in 2021.
    4.If you have an email offering vouchers send it aswell.
    5.The screenshot of where you requested a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just a quick note on this one that applies to BOI.

If you need to do a charge back with BOI you dont need to actually post documents.You can scan and email despite what they tell you on the phone.

Scan and email to Chargebacks@boi.com and also copy to chargebacks@boi.com

Note the capital "C" on the first email address. Make sure you copy both.Mine did not go through and they kept telling me it was the one with a Capital "C"

They only received it when I sent it to both and yet both of them returned a read request-strange.

Also if you want a speedy resolution.
    Send in the following by email.

1.Booking from Ryanair website with flight reference number clear on it.
    2.Cancellation email.
    3.If you have a transcript from chat - make it clear that do not want vouchers and that you are unsure if you will be travelling in 2021.
    4.If you have an email offering vouchers send it aswell.
    5.The screenshot of where you requested a refund.

I am genuinely annoyed with this. I got a cold call from BOI offering COVID-19 support. I asked for a chargeback email address but was told there was none. I was offered a fax no. or postal address. I'm gonna email that eejit now.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    I am genuinely annoyed with this. I got a cold call from BOI offering COVID-19 support. I asked for a chargeback email address but was told there was none. I was offered a fax no. or postal address. I'm gonna email that eejit now.

They said the same to me and I said I wasnt able to get to a post office and that it was ridiculous in this day and age that I had to post in documents with emails etc.
    Thats how I found it out and decided to share it here.

Actually they asked me to fax it in first - gods know where Id find a fax machine in 2020!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

citykat wrote: »

I hear ya.. it is 2020 after all,surely the banks should be more advanced ...the two words that I would use are "evasion tactics"

What I found with AIB is that you had to initially request the dispute and then send them a letter. . then call them to ask if they received the letter, state that you don't have a means to a printer and then they allow you to email the chargeback team with the additional proof info that they require ..

when I did this I got a response but email to say that this is not an email address where they would be responding so it was a one way traffic email address.

It's a very frustrating situation as there is no actual phone number or direct path to the chargeback team who all remain nameless throughout any correspondence.

charge.back@aib.ie
    Just in case ..

You do have to call them first to initiate charge back. And you do have to hardcopy a letter through the post ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Oh ye of little faith, who do not believe the many promises of those wonderful people who fly you through the air.

Day 8, no money;):mad:

Sent my reply off to N26 disputing Ryanairs dispute of my chargeback. Told Mastercards dispute resolution process can take up to 45 days. All the while I am back out of pocket again. Being reunited with my money via chargeback was all too brief an experience!

If I was a wealthy man I'd happily pay some law types to drag this shower through the courts for wasting my time and keeping my money!

"Day 8, no money

Sent my reply off to N26 disputing Ryanairs dispute of my chargeback. Told Mastercards dispute resolution process can take up to 45 days. All the while I am back out of pocket again. Being reunited with my money via chargeback was all too brief an experience!

If I was a wealthy man I'd happily pay some law types to drag this shower through the courts for wasting my time and keeping my money! ":"

Probably won't get you anywhere with N26 but might be worth quoting

This is MasterCard's own guidelines on Covid issued on May 1st 2020 (see attached).

2) Question: The merchant has cancelled services
    and offered the cardholder a reasonable alternative for future service.
    The cardholder declines this reasonable alternative but the merchant
    refuses to process a refund. Does an issuer have chargeback rights?

Answer: Yes. Reasonable alternatives for future services cannot be imposed
    on the cardholder in lieu of a refund, unless the merchant has a right
    to provide the cardholder with such reasonable alternatives based on
    the terms and conditions properly disclosed to the cardholder at the
    of the purchase, or based on applicable government legislation or regulations.

Dispute Resolution Management During COVID-19 (Public Version) May 1, 2020

Attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Hi looking for anyone that may know something about my future flights.
    The family are booked to San Diego .
    1. 1st one leaving 16th July Dub to JFK , JFK to San Diego
    2. Me leaving 31st July Same as above
    3. The wife 7th August Dub to San Fran , San Fran to San Diego
    3. LAst one 14th August Dub to JFK , JFK to San Diego.
    All returning San diego to Dublin thru San Fran 28th August
    All booked with Aer Lingus.
    Will flights still go?
    If flights are scheduled to go but not advised to travel from the WHO or Dept of Health or Dept of foreign affairs what do we do?
    Will Aer Lingus give a refund ? Or what options do i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

A lot of talk about Ryanair here in the last number of pages but has anyone had any communication with Aer Lingus recently?

I contacted their CC again last week to ask about the Voucher i'd applied for, and got the same response as before - "voucher will be issued shortly".

Applied for the voucher on March 20th for a March 22nd flight. Got the confirmation/acknowledgement of voucher application email some weeks later. It's been nearly 12 weeks since the application. €700 worth of flights so not exactly a small sum.

Generally I have patience but my inner conspiracy theorist is beginning to wonder if this is some kind of effort to avoid giving credit back or refunding at all and they have no intention of doing so. We'd use the voucher asap if we had it.

Anyone else waiting this long?

I got one voucher (out of 2 of us going) for flights that went to USA, but we couldn't travel on them obviously, last March today. Still waiting on other.

For a cancelled flight in April, I got my refund last week.

Batesout wrote: »
    Hi looking for anyone that may know something about my future flights.
    The family are booked to San Diego .
    1. 1st one leaving 16th July Dub to JFK , JFK to San Diego
    2. Me leaving 31st July Same as above
    3. The wife 7th August Dub to San Fran , San Fran to San Diego
    3. LAst one 14th August Dub to JFK , JFK to San Diego.
    All returning San diego to Dublin thru San Fran 28th August
    All booked with Aer Lingus.
    Will flights still go?
    If flights are scheduled to go but not advised to travel from the WHO or Dept of Health or Dept of foreign affairs what do we do?
    Will Aer Lingus give a refund ? Or what options do i have?

Will flights still go?

The bad news is DUB JFK has flown daily right throughout the lockdown.
    AL have cargo contracts so they have to fly even if they have virtually no passengers.

Dub San Fran doesn't seem to flying but AL are taking bookings for 20 July.
    I'd be sceptical myself, but who knows.

If flights are scheduled to go but not advised to travel from the WHO
    or Dept of Health or Dept of foreign affairs what do we do?

The sad fact is if the flights go and you do not travel you will loose your money
    no matter what DFA, WHO or anyone else recommends.
    This advisory is only of use for travel insurance.

Will Aer Lingus give a refund ?

Aer Lingus are offering a great rebook without fee option option until Sept 30th.
    However you have flights with partner airlines which complicates changes.

Or what options do i have?

I think you have to talk to Aer Lingus and see will they offer you a refund on
    the basis that the San Fran flights not flying. But your chances of success are limited.
    AL have been very slow to offer refunds even for flights that have no chance of going.

I think you might want to seriously consider a voucher.

I strongly suggest you record all calls as there can be confusion.
    I'd also suggest if you do get agreement you document the agreement time of call
    and who you talked to in writing to Aer Lingus customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Due to fly from Shannon to JFK with Aer Lingus on July 25th. We wont now be going. AFAIK Aer Lingus suspended / cancelled all transatlantic flights from Shannon early in the COVID-19 crises until further notice, this would suit us as we'd rather a full refund than a voucher or rescheduled dates however we've got no notification of cancellation from them. Various searches on different dates up until August 17th are showing as completely "sold out" but no problems booking after that date which leads me to believe that the flights wont be back operating until that date in August.

Has anyone flying transatlantic from Shannon with AL over the next few been notified of cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Anyone managed to get a refund from QuickPark recently? I cancelled a booking around the middle of April, assumed it would be an automatic refund back to the card. Followed up a couple of times by email and the responses varied from the accounts office being closed due to lockdown, to still processing the refund to the airport only operating at 5% capacity, and hopefully it would be resolved sometime in July once capacity increases...

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Due to fly from Shannon to JFK with Aer Lingus on July 25th. We wont now be going. AFAIK Aer Lingus suspended / cancelled all transatlantic flights from Shannon early in the COVID-19 crises until further notice, this would suit us as we'd rather a full refund than a voucher or rescheduled dates however we've got no notification of cancellation from them. Various searches on different dates up until August 17th are showing as completely "sold out" but no problems booking after that date which leads me to believe that the flights wont be back operating until that date in August.

Has anyone flying transatlantic from Shannon with AL over the next few been notified of cancellations?

The good news, as you say, it's highly unlikely that Snn JFK will be flying in July.
    The Dublin JFK flights are only going because of cargo contracts.
    Aer Lingus are very slow to announce cancellations probably to manage the surge of requests.

You could try a chargeback or flightrights claim but AL will probably reject it based on the lack of evidence of cancellation.

I guess you're lucky the old old Shannon stopover is not in operation or you would be snookered!

Advertisement