Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

I just got two flights refunded by chargeback from Vueling (bank TSB, requested 27th May). I feel a Wu - Tang clan song coming on, cash rules everything around me.

I also got some monies from Ryanair but it says "disputed" in the narrative of these on my online banking so I wont start spending those sweet $$$ just yet.

I might try charge back on Aer Lingus as well. Do they tend to dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Anyone managed to get a refund from QuickPark recently? I cancelled a booking around the middle of April, assumed it would be an automatic refund back to the card. Followed up a couple of times by email and the responses varied from the accounts office being closed due to lockdown, to still processing the refund to the airport only operating at 5% capacity, and hopefully it would be resolved sometime in July once capacity increases...

About 6 weeks ago i cancelled my booking on their website. Was back in my account 3-4 days later.

Also cancelled a few others on a business card going back further than 6 weeks and came back very quick. All just done through my online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

About 6 weeks ago i cancelled my booking on their website. Was back in my account 3-4 days later.

Also cancelled a few others on a business card going back further than 6 weeks and came back very quick. All just done through my online account.

ok, thanks for that, not sure why it didn't happen automatically. I'll just have to do a chargeback as they're not being very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

I also had a very positive experience with quickpark. Money back within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

paddy19 wrote: »
    Will flights still go?

The bad news is DUB JFK has flown daily right throughout the lockdown.
    AL have cargo contracts so they have to fly even if they have virtually no passengers.

Dub San Fran doesn't seem to flying but AL are taking bookings for 20 July.
    I'd be sceptical myself, but who knows.

If flights are scheduled to go but not advised to travel from the WHO
    or Dept of Health or Dept of foreign affairs what do we do?

The sad fact is if the flights go and you do not travel you will loose your money
    no matter what DFA, WHO or anyone else recommends.
    This advisory is only of use for travel insurance.

Will Aer Lingus give a refund ?

Aer Lingus are offering a great rebook without fee option option until Sept 30th.
    However you have flights with partner airlines which complicates changes.

Or what options do i have?

I think you have to talk to Aer Lingus and see will they offer you a refund on
    the basis that the San Fran flights not flying. But your chances of success are limited.
    AL have been very slow to offer refunds even for flights that have no chance of going.

I think you might want to seriously consider a voucher.

I strongly suggest you record all calls as there can be confusion.
    I'd also suggest if you do get agreement you document the agreement time of call
    and who you talked to in writing to Aer Lingus customer service.

Just to add on the DUB-JFK with Aer Lingus, I got full refund back (after 2 months) from Aer Lingus because although they still flew there, they moved the flight time by 3 hours and more than 2 hours entitles you with them to a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

irbx wrote: »
    1. Flight cancelled by Ryanair 21st of march. ( refund request submitted then)
    2. A few holding emails sent by ryanair
    3. 21st of April Logged a complaint with Ryanair.
    4. 23rd of April refund voucher offered and declined
    5. 29th of April Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    6. 9th of May Email from ryaniar to confirm that I refused the voucher
    7. 25th of May Email from Ryanair on how to use the voucher
    8. 09th of June Email from Ryanair to say voucher been cancelled and refund been put back on the Card allow 5 to 7 days for the bank to proccess.

Hope this helps with time lines

Just to update I received my refund yesterday on my card. I would like to thank paddy for his very helpful sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Accepted the voucher - seems the easiest given that were you not to use it - you'll get cash anyway

How long after accepting it do I actually get the actual voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Thank you paddy19 for the helpful information. Chasing TAP at the moment and it has been horrendous. They cancelled without notification (their latest tactic) but I have been carefully checking status regularly so have caught it a few weeks before it was due to depart.
    They do not answer calls so I have filed a complaint with them (no response), tried DM on Twitter (no response). I registered the issue with flightrights.ie. Can they actually get a refund or is this just more paperwork to support other avenues?

Good luck to all here - do not settle for a voucher which could end up worthless. Nobody knows how things shall look in 12 months from an air travel perspective .

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Thank you paddy19 for the helpful information. Chasing TAP at the moment and it has been horrendous. They cancelled without notification (their latest tactic) but I have been carefully checking status regularly so have caught it a few weeks before it was due to depart.
    They do not answer calls so I have filed a complaint with them (no response), tried DM on Twitter (no response). I registered the issue with flightrights.ie. Can they actually get a refund or is this just more paperwork to support other avenues?

Good luck to all here - do not settle for a voucher which could end up worthless. Nobody knows how things shall look in 12 months from an air travel perspective .

if you don't use it all after 12 months - you get cash anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DocMcC

Hi,

Due to fly to Geneva on the 5th July. AL had the flight available and you could book it up to about 3 weeks ago, since then it shows fully booked, first to 20th July and now to the 21st August.

I booked it back in January so not sure if the "rebooking" is valid for my flight but tbh have no clue where to or when I will be travelling again in the foreseeable future. Flight was for 5 people so not a small amount of money.

Best outcome would be for AL to cancel the flight but so far there has been no sigh of them doing this. Would be more than happy to take the voucher (+10% ) but that is only until 30th June unless they extend it.

Anyone have any more insight into my options - I have cancelled the Airbnb, car hire etc. Biggest issue is really the enforced quarantine when one returns.

Much appreciated,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

If the airline is still trading, not gone through bankruptcy etc.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    if you don't use it all after 12 months - you get cash anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Accepted the voucher - seems the easiest given that were you not to use it - you'll get cash anyway

How long after accepting it do I actually get the actual voucher?

If its Ryanair you're referring to, the email that you click the accept button in is the actual voucher, the code is in it.

I got my actual Ryanair refund today for flights cancelled in late March so time to close my dispute of their dispute of my chargeback! Have more flights cancelled with them so the process begins again all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

.G. wrote: »
    I got my actual Ryanair refund today for flights cancelled in late March so time to close my dispute of their dispute of my chargeback! Have more flights cancelled with them so the process begins again all over!

Thanks for posting. Will get back on to them. My flight was 20 March and cancelled on 10 March so should have had my refund as they said I'm in the queue since 11 March.

If its Ryanair you're referring to, the email that you click the accept button in is the actual voucher, the code is in it.

yeah saw it a few minutes later - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Comer1

If the airline is still trading, not gone through bankruptcy etc.

In that situation, can you not look for a chargeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Comer1

I got an email yesterday from loveholidays.ie saying that my hotel in Mallorca will be closed for our holiday on 19th of August, so they have offered me a place in a hotel "compatible to your original." If anything, it's probably slightly better, in terms of facilities, location, price and reviews anyway.

Do I have the right to cancel based on this change and look for a refund, or does loveholidays.ie providing me with compatible accommodation mean that I am not entitled to do that?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

I like your "my dispute of their dispute". You can see why the lawyers developed a whole language for this stuff!

I'm not much into conspiracies but do you think the refund was driven by your chargeback?

Be interesting to try a wee study and chase Ryanair for one flight via chargeback
    and leave another to wind it's way through the process.

Flightrights can give you limited help with airlines registered outside Ireland.
    They can help you prepare a case for the EU261 enforcemeat body where the airline is registered.

Your best bet at present seems to be chargeback.

Comer1 wrote: »
    I got an email yesterday from loveholidays.ie saying that my hotel in Mallorca will be closed for our holiday on 19th of August, so they have offered me a place in a hotel "compatible to your original." If anything, it's probably slightly better, in terms of facilities, location, price and reviews anyway.

Do I have the right to cancel based on this change and look for a refund, or does loveholidays.ie providing me with compatible accommodation mean that I am not entitled to do that?

Thanks in advance.

This will be down to our old friends "Terms and Conditions".

"In relation to Package bookings only, in the unlikely event that we or your Service Providers have to make a significant change to your Package, we will tell you as soon as reasonably possible. You will then have the option to:

or reject the proposed change and terminate your Package with a full refund."

https://www.loveholidays.ie/about-us/terms-and-conditions-ie.html

The argument is a change of a hotel a significant change.

"In relation to cancellations made as a result of global travel disruption arising from the Coronavirus outbreak: (i) the initial refund of package bookings will take the form of a refund credit note, which the insolvency protection attaching to your original booking will attach. This can be used to book a new holiday by a stated date (which may be extended by reference to guidance issued by ABTA and/or the CAA or the UK government or the European Union) or exchanged for a cash refund for any sum which is not used by the stated date;
    and (ii) the refund due in respect of other forms of bookings will be in the form of a refund credit note which may be applied against future bookings on our site by a stated date, or exchanged for a cash refund for any sum which is not used by the stated date"

If the flights are going and the hotel is better, I'm not sure your position is that strong.

Be careful, the basic rule is if you cancel you will not get a refund.

The first rule in all negotiations is you have to ask!
    Nobody is going to offer you refund unless you hassle for it.

Request nicely a full cash refund.

They might offer you a voucher with a delayed cash refund date.

I'm don't think our favourite process chargeback will work for you.

A voucher could be a reasonable option, if you are covered for bankruptcy.

• Advertisement

Comer1 wrote: »
    In that situation, can you not look for a chargeback?

Most voucher can't be turned into cash for 12 months.

The problem here is you may run into time limits.
    Banks generally have a limit of 120 days.

This is why governments are stepping in to guarantee vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

DocMcC wrote: »
    Hi,

Due to fly to Geneva on the 5th July. AL had the flight available and you could book it up to about 3 weeks ago, since then it shows fully booked, first to 20th July and now to the 21st August.

I booked it back in January so not sure if the "rebooking" is valid for my flight but tbh have no clue where to or when I will be travelling again in the foreseeable future. Flight was for 5 people so not a small amount of money.

Best outcome would be for AL to cancel the flight but so far there has been no sigh of them doing this. Would be more than happy to take the voucher (+10% ) but that is only until 30th June unless they extend it.

No Geneva flights in early July.

You can change for free today to any future date or you could call up and ask for a refund if they admit the flight is cancelled.

Caranica wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. Will get back on to them. My flight was 20 March and cancelled on 10 March so should have had my refund as they said I'm in the queue since 11 March.

Caranica, you might be able to help fix a wee debate on whether Ryanair are taking people out of the refund queue if you don't reject the voucher.

Can you try to re-enter your booking code on the refund page?

If you are still in the queue you should get a pop-up saying already entered, then we know your still in the queue.

If it takes the entry they we know you were removed.

I like your "my dispute of their dispute". You can see why the lawyers developed a whole language for this stuff!

I'm not much into conspiracies but do you think the refund was driven by your chargeback?

Be interesting to try a wee study and chase Ryanair for one flight via chargeback
    and leave another to wind it's way through the process.

We'll I got notification of the refund being sent to me around about the same time as I got notification from my bank that Ryanair were disputing my chargeback so you'd wonder.

I contacted Ryanair chat support for a flight which I applied for a refund on 19th March 2020. For this one they had not even offered me a voucher. I asked if I was actually in the refund queue. They assured me that I was and I should see a refund within two weeks as they are "currently working through March backlog".

I had already instigated a charge back for this regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Caranica, you might be able to help fix a wee debate on whether Ryanair are taking people out of the refund queue if you don't reject the voucher.

Can you try to re-enter your booking code on the refund page?

If you are still in the queue you should get a pop-up saying already entered, then we know your still in the queue.

If it takes the entry they we know you were removed.

They noted that I was rejecting the voucher and sent me email confirmation after my chat a few weeks ago. They also sent me a transcript of the chat which says I did not now go to the back of the queue rather it is the date of my original claim (11 March) that applies to my position in the queue. Which is why I don't understand why people with later flights have received refunds and I haven't

Just got onto agents about two other flights which they had offered me vouchers for despite me requesting a refund.

They told me the were taking note that I rejected the vouchers and would email me confirmation of such in the next few days.

Caranica wrote: »
    They noted that I was rejecting the voucher and sent me email confirmation after my chat a few weeks ago. They also sent me a transcript of the chat which says I did not now go to the back of the queue rather it is the date of my original claim (11 March) that applies to my position in the queue. Which is why I don't understand why people with later flights have received refunds and I haven't

Could it be that refunds are pulled out of queue where chargebacks and flightrights are requested?

Some evidence of it here.

Would anyone here have any experience of getting a refund from Air Transat?

I seem to be getting nowhere with them. They claim that I am not due a refund, just a voucher, because of extraordinary circumstances, which, honestly is no good to me after this year.

Their next available flight is next April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

hi, how do you get the chat option on Ryanair, is it hidden?
    or do they even operate on a Sunday

Advertisement