Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

That is really weird as I got two chargebacks amounts from TSB (debit card transactions) within two weeks of requesting them (late May) for Ryanair flights.

From my understanding it looks like the banks (or some of them) changed their chargeback rules as the time went on. I know of people who got chargebacks the very 1st week of flight cancellations, then the banks put up a block when RA tried to get EU backing to offer credit notes. When RA agreed to issue me with a refund I didn't try again for a chargeback but do know the banks started them again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I finally received the email refund from Ryanair this afternoon. My flight was for the first week in April.
    I did the same routine as everyone else and rejected the travel voucher, but never heard anything back since. However I did contact chat a few days ago to reconfirm that I was rejecting the offer and wanted to know when I would be refunded. I contacted them again yesterday and was told I would be issued a refund in due course, and then this afternoon I received the email confirming the refund confirmation.

I'll now await payment to go back to my bank.

I don't know if me contacting them twice in a week and getting that email today was a coincidence, but I would suggest people on here to keep in constant contact with them until you receive the same.

I'll update you when I get the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I had Ryanair flights cancelled in April, got offered a voucher, didn't accept and asked for a refund.

No reply from them for the past 8 weeks, today I got onto their chat and managed to contact a human rep in 5 minutes.

Asked for a refund again, apparently it's only now they've processed my request, I can expect an email to confirm within 24 hours. Then hopefully I will finally get my refund.

I've another problem however with an upcoming trip to the UK in mid-July - the event we were going to has been cancelled so I've no intention of going, however the flight change cost is almost the price of the tickets so not worth it. Will I have to try and claim off my travel insurance (I took out a policy in February before the pandemic)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

shocksy wrote: »
    I finally received the email refund from Ryanair this afternoon. My flight was for the first week in April.
    I did the same routine as everyone else and rejected the travel voucher, but never heard anything back since. However I did contact chat a few days ago to reconfirm that I was rejecting the offer and wanted to know when I would be refunded. I contacted them again yesterday and was told I would be issued a refund in due course, and then this afternoon I received the email confirming the refund confirmation.

I'll now await payment to go back to my bank.

I don't know if me contacting them twice in a week and getting that email today was a coincidence, but I would suggest people on here to keep in constant contact with them until you receive the same.

I'll update you when I get the refund.

Same pattern more or less for our April 1 flights, as I said a few posts ago, also Ulster Bank were worse than useless for chargeback, I sent all the stuff they asked for in early May and just got a message today asking for it all again, useless fcuks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there no email address for Aer Lingus to see the status of vouchers?

Had flights for Spain booked (2 separate booking references) - The booking ref booked after the original one has received its voucher but the first booking ref hasn't yet.

One other question - The Ts and Cs on the voucher email said it can be transferred into any name but it doesn't seem to be a possibility from what I can see anywhere when trying.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

From my understanding it looks like the banks (or some of them) changed their chargeback rules as the time went on. I know of people who got chargebacks the very 1st week of flight cancellations, then the banks put up a block when RA tried to get EU backing to offer credit notes. When RA agreed to issue me with a refund I didn't try again for a chargeback but do know the banks started them again

What I didn't understood until this arose is that chargeback is a complex process:you have four parties involved, customer, customer's bank, merchant's bank and merchant.

This appears to raise conflicts of interest where a bank represents both customer and merchant.

The credit card companies set down the rules on how the game is played.
    There is a whole support industry in managing chargebacks.

Ultimately the banks can go to binding arbitration by the CC company but it is expensive.

It's a sort of SCC for banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah I was surprised to get post from a company called Bayern Card Services which actually handled my claim on behalf of my actual bank. It's an industry in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I had Ryanair flights cancelled in April, got offered a voucher, didn't accept and asked for a refund.

No reply from them for the past 8 weeks, today I got onto their chat and managed to contact a human rep in 5 minutes.

Asked for a refund again, apparently it's only now they've processed my request, I can expect an email to confirm within 24 hours. Then hopefully I will finally get my refund.

I've another problem however with an upcoming trip to the UK in mid-July - the event we were going to has been cancelled so I've no intention of going, however the flight change cost is almost the price of the tickets so not worth it. Will I have to try and claim off my travel insurance (I took out a policy in February before the pandemic)?

You could call your travel insurance team just to make sure you are covered ..I think the non essential travel is being lifted though so it may harder to claim if the flight is going...travel disruption as an added extra I think covers you for the non essential travel govt advice so just makes sure you had that as an added extra...

You may have to forfeit this trip payment though as July sees most airspace open..hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Got this from Click & Go yesterday, they have repeatedly ignored my request for cash refund even though I quoted EU law & the commissioners recent comments that the law must be followed & she would sue countries who allow companies to flout this, Shame Ross is the minister who sanctioned this voucher scheme but last Friday on radio he said companies must hurry up & refund cash if requested....2 faced F**ker....I have been checking sept 2020 in corfu since last Nov with C&G & TUI, TUI prices have remained stable but C&G have added almost €400 to the price since covid struck.... they are seeking go fleece people who except vouchers, The EU commissioner also states that vouchers should be transferable to other travel companies which they are not.

Please find attached a Refund Credit Note for part of your recent holiday cancelled as result of COVID-19.

On May 8th, the Government announced a special State-Guaranteed Refund Credit Note for holidays impacted by COVID-19. The Refund Credit Note safeguards your money and allows Click&Go the time required to reclaim your money from the various suppliers. On June 19th, the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport made the necessary legal provisions "The Refund Credit Note has been established by the Transport (Tour Operators and Travel Agents) Act 1982 (Disbursements from Fund) Regulations 2020 (Statutory Instrument 218 of 2020)".

Your Refund Credit Note is being issued in 2 parts, this part, part 1 covers all the non-flight elements as we have not yet received the credit back from the airline for your flights.

As soon as we have the credit back for your flights we will issue you a 2nd Refund Credit Note, the 2 combined should equal the full value of your holiday excluding travel insurance if purchased.

Our apologies that we have to issue the Refund Credit Note in 2 parts but credits from airlines are badly delayed and we do not want to delay the refund process any further.

This Refund Credit Note covers the following:

It is valid for 24 months from the date of issue
    You can use it to book another holiday with Click&Go for travel in 2020, 2021 or 2022
    You can use it for a number of bookings
    The people named on the original booking do NOT need to be on the new booking, so you can transfer it
    The Refund Credit Note is State-Guaranteed
    If you don't use in 9 months, you can get your cash back
    To redeem your Refund Credit Note and to book your new holiday please email clickandgorefunds@clickandgo.com requesting a call back and one of our sales team will be in touch within 24hours

Yours sincerely,

The Refunds Department

Click&Go

lensman wrote: »
    Got this from Click & Go yesterday, they have repeatedly ignored my request for cash refund even though I quoted EU law & the commissioners recent comments that the law must be followed & she would sue countries who allow companies to flout this, Shame Ross is the minister who sanctioned this voucher scheme but last Friday on radio he said companies must hurry up & refund cash if requested....2 faced F**ker....I have been checking sept 2020 in corfu since last Nov with C&G & TUI, TUI prices have remained stable but C&G have added almost €400 to the price since covid struck.... they are seeking go fleece people who except vouchers, The EU commissioner also states that vouchers should be transferable to other travel companies which they are not.

Please find attached a Refund Credit Note for part of your recent holiday cancelled as result of COVID-19.

On May 8th, the Government announced a special State-Guaranteed Refund Credit Note for holidays impacted by COVID-19. The Refund Credit Note safeguards your money and allows Click&Go the time required to reclaim your money from the various suppliers. On June 19th, the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport made the necessary legal provisions "The Refund Credit Note has been established by the Transport (Tour Operators and Travel Agents) Act 1982 (Disbursements from Fund) Regulations 2020 (Statutory Instrument 218 of 2020)".

Your Refund Credit Note is being issued in 2 parts, this part, part 1 covers all the non-flight elements as we have not yet received the credit back from the airline for your flights.

As soon as we have the credit back for your flights we will issue you a 2nd Refund Credit Note, the 2 combined should equal the full value of your holiday excluding travel insurance if purchased.

Our apologies that we have to issue the Refund Credit Note in 2 parts but credits from airlines are badly delayed and we do not want to delay the refund process any further.

This Refund Credit Note covers the following:

It is valid for 24 months from the date of issue
    You can use it to book another holiday with Click&Go for travel in 2020, 2021 or 2022
    You can use it for a number of bookings
    The people named on the original booking do NOT need to be on the new booking, so you can transfer it
    If you don't use in 9 months, you can get your cash back
    To redeem your Refund Credit Note and to book your new holiday please email clickandgorefunds@clickandgo.com requesting a call back and one of our sales team will be in touch within 24hours

Yours sincerely,

The Refunds Department

Click&Go

If you don't use in 9 months, you can get your cash back...

Mad isn't it, they've probably had your money for so long that 9 months with interest would be better... ; )

Just a little question...Is it 9 months from when they issue the voucher or 9 months from when they cancelled ...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

limabromac wrote: »
    If you don't use in 9 months, you can get your cash back...

Mad isn't it, they've probably had your money for so long that 9 months with interest would be better... ; )

Just a little question...Is it 9 months from when they issue the voucher or 9 months from when they cancelled ...?
    Either way I have always requested cash refunds & always reminded them of EU law, a law that Shane Ross failed to get changed for vouchers, I have contacted Mr Ross seeking his assistance & replied to C&G informing them of this whilst restating my cash refund request,...we'll see what happens

lensman wrote: »
    Either way I have always requested cash refunds & always reminded them of EU law, a law that Shane Ross failed to get changed for vouchers, I have contacted Mr Ross seeking his assistance & replied to C&G informing them of this whilst restating my cash refund request,...we'll see what happens

Exactly ... you have done what your allowed to do and request a refund and the govt have changed this to allow the company a protection that you should be entitled to... If it is was the other way round you would be brought to court. Can you chargeback on card?

And if it was 9 months from when your plans were cancelled it may shorten the time frame? But if it's 9 months from issuing you are looking at March next year ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is there no email address for Aer Lingus to see the status of vouchers?

Had flights for Spain booked (2 separate booking references) - The booking ref booked after the original one has received its voucher but the first booking ref hasn't yet.

One other question - The Ts and Cs on the voucher email said it can be transferred into any name but it doesn't seem to be a possibility from what I can see anywhere when trying.

Cheers!

Anyone have any ideas on this if possible?

Thank you

callaway92 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas on this if possible?

Thank you

I doubt there's a special line for voucher status ...

If you are on Twitter you could try

For help with bookings, please send a Direct Message
    Contact us: http://aerling.us/contact

Looks like not many people can get through to them though...lots of angry people on Twitter...it's a good read if you have some time and a cuppa...

(01) 761 7835 phone number...

Sorry I'm not more help AL is not my strong point...I booked with RA for my sins...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Was supposed to be going to USA to San Diego thru New York , the flight is going but at a different time.
    If i changed the flight to San Francisco & that is cancelled would i get a voucher or a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Refund from Ryanair in account today for April 1st flights, got the refund notification email 2 days ago. Good luck to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Had an email today stating flight with BA cancelled For August
    Rang them there now , got through straight away and refund being processed - delighted
    No word on Ryanair flights cancelled in March still!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I got my full refund from aerlingus pretty much exactly 30 days after lodging a refund request with PTSB, thanks to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Anyone have any experience with getting Car Hire back from Ryanair? I had a flight booked for early June. It was cancelled by Ryanair on May 17th and I applied for a refund. I cancelled the Car Hire at the same time as I was allowed to do under the Hire terms and conditions. Although I got acknowledgments from Ryanair that I would be refunded both amounts the only subsequent correspondence I got was an offer of a voucher for the Flights only.

The voucher is no good to me as the Missus will not budge this year nor next. I sent Ryanair a registered letter as is suggested elsewhere as a follow up. Last night I got an email informing me that:

"As per interpretive guidelines on EU passenger rights, announced by the EU commission on cancellations caused due to COVID 19, this is now classified as an extraordinary circumstance and compensation does not apply under EU261/2004." Just to clarify, I did not ask for compensation, only my money back.

Is the small Claims court my best bet at this stage? There's nearly €1,400 involved which comes under the €2K limit.I'm particularly annoyed over the Car Hire even though it is only about €500 of the total as Ryanair would only be entitled to a small percentage of it if they hadn't cancelled the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with getting Car Hire back from Ryanair? I had a flight booked for early June. It was cancelled by Ryanair on May 17th and I applied for a refund. I cancelled the Car Hire at the same time as I was allowed to do under the Hire terms and conditions. Although I got acknowledgments from Ryanair that I would be refunded both amounts the only subsequent correspondence I got was an offer of a voucher for the Flights only.

The voucher is no good to me as the Missus will not budge this year nor next. I sent Ryanair a registered letter as is suggested elsewhere as a follow up. Last night I got an email informing me that:

"As per interpretive guidelines on EU passenger rights, announced by the EU commission on cancellations caused due to COVID 19, this is now classified as an extraordinary circumstance and compensation does not apply under EU261/2004." Just to clarify, I did not ask for compensation, only my money back.

Is the small Claims court my best bet at this stage? There's nearly €1,400 involved which comes under the €2K limit.I'm particularly annoyed over the Car Hire even though it is only about €500 of the total as Ryanair would only be entitled to a small percentage of it if they hadn't cancelled the booking.

I bonked my car hire with Ryanair and applied for refund and got it back after about 3 days.

Same cant be said for my flights though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

obi604 wrote: »
    I bonked my car hire with Ryanair and applied for refund and got it back after about 3 days.

Same cant be said for my flights though!

Fair play, I would have got excited by a refund but maybe not that much!

Just checked, and I cancelled the car on MAy 22nd. Was promised a refund within 20 days. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Batesout wrote: »
    Was supposed to be going to USA to San Diego thru New York , the flight is going but at a different time.
    If i changed the flight to San Francisco & that is cancelled would i get a voucher or a refund?

If the flight time schedule change is more than 2 hours you are entitled to full refund on both legs.

"Schedule Change by Aer Lingus

"If the change is more than two hours ......... you are entitled to a full refund"

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/cancellations-and-refunds/

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Sorry if this has been asked already - I applied for Ryanair refund in mid-May, rejected the voucher. Today they emailed me reminding me that I had a voucher to spend OR apply for refund - I'm presuming my refund request still stands and I don't have to apply again? I suppose applying again would be no harm? Not expecting refund for a long time yet but definitely did not choose the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Alqua wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already - I applied for Ryanair refund in mid-May, rejected the voucher. Today they emailed me reminding me that I had a voucher to spend OR apply for refund - I'm presuming my refund request still stands and I don't have to apply again? I suppose applying again would be no harm? Not expecting refund for a long time yet but definitely did not choose the voucher.

They seem to be following a sequence, just wait another week and you should get refund notification as I did today 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭piaget

Refund back onto my credit card from Aer Lingus dated 4th June which was the date I was supposed to fly to Portugal.

Typically this was an Ulster bank credit card which I had transferred to the new Black one and Ulster Bank never told me so I only found out when I chased AL up by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

How have people contacted Aer Lingus to check the progress or to push them on the refund? Over a month now for 2 refunds worth a few grand.

Is there a number or email address? Don't use social media.

They were booked amon PTSB debit card. Worth going straight to charge back option or making an effort to contact AL first?

How have people contacted Aer Lingus to check the progress or to push them on the refund? Over a month now for 2 refunds worth a few grand.

They were booked amon PTSB debit card. Worth going straight to charge back option or making an effort to contact AL first?

(01) 761 7835 phone number for AL

Ring them first and let us know what they say and then ring your bank. Chargeback is allowable on a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

limabromac wrote: »
    (01) 761 7835 phone number for AL

Ring them first and let us know what they say and then ring your bank. Chargeback is allowable on a debit card.

Thanks. I'll give them a bell later and update how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Received Full Refund from Aer Lingus today for flights to Alicante july 6th
    Rang them Tuesday after there was still no updates / emails as to the flight being cancelled or going ahead
    Really nice Girl on phone said flights were cancelled and she would refund costs

True to her word refunded today
    Happy Boy

• Advertisement

Yeah I have been harassing them on guestrefunds@aerlingus.com, I have sent a few DM's on Twitter and got no response.

I might try the phone call tactic.

TSB who have done charge backs successfully for me with other airlines said they couldn't do it as the flights were booked too long ago.

Advertisement