Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Might help someone: chargeback was the only way with TAP Air Portugal.
    They are cancelling but not notifying (check twitter for the complaints), and their page then tries to get you to "cancel for refund" with a voucher.
    Contacted via complaints form refusing voucher and requesting refund under EU 261. 16 days later they offer only vouchers.
    Contacted via twitter DM requesting full refund - refused (8 days later) and offered only vouchers.
    Their twitter account is inundated with people complaining and requesting refunds.
    Once I had their refusal I raised the chargeback and finally got my money back that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just got an email from PayPal, Ryanair have refunded me at last!! Only took 107 days :rolleyes: No mail from Ryanair yet but it is a Ryanair refund rather than PayPal actually doing anything to help me. So relieved it's all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

anyone tried to file small claims court filing recently?

getting error on their webpage:

https://www.csol.ie/ccms/welcome.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Off the phone with Aer Lingus. Confirmed that my flight two weeks ago they never contacted me once about was cancelled and that they would escalate a refund, which would take a few weeks. Any idea what the real timeline would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

shocksy wrote: »
    I finally received the email refund from Ryanair this afternoon. My flight was for the first week in April.
    I did the same routine as everyone else and rejected the travel voucher, but never heard anything back since. However I did contact chat a few days ago to reconfirm that I was rejecting the offer and wanted to know when I would be refunded. I contacted them again yesterday and was told I would be issued a refund in due course, and then this afternoon I received the email confirming the refund confirmation.

I'll now await payment to go back to my bank.

I don't know if me contacting them twice in a week and getting that email today was a coincidence, but I would suggest people on here to keep in constant contact with them until you receive the same.

I'll update you when I get the refund.

Just a follow up on this post. I received the full refund into my account this morning, so it only took three days from the refund email notification to receiving the funds into my account.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on refunds. All I can suggest is, keep picking away at them until you get the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

anyone tried to file small claims court filing recently?

getting error on their webpage:

https://www.csol.ie/ccms/welcome.html

I lodged one yesterday, no problem. It hasn't been initiated yet though!

By coincidence (???) I got yet another Ryanair email today reminding me I have a voucher that I have never opted for but it also had a link to yet another option for a refund.I reckon I have now opted on-line at least three times for a refund, once by registered letter and once by email when they rejected my letter request.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Hope this is the right thread but I’m looking to get a chargeback for flights that were cancelled with Ryanair. I contacted my bank and they said I need proof from Ryanair that they are not playing ball regarding giving me a payback.

What is the best way of doing this? I waited for a few hours in a queue for live chat And then it just timed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Hope this is the right thread but I’m looking to get a chargeback for flights that were cancelled with Ryanair. I contacted my bank and they said I need proof from Ryanair that they are not playing ball regarding giving me a payback.

What is the best way of doing this? I waited for a few hours in a queue for live chat And then it just timed out.

If you do a search in this thread for posts from paddy19, you'll get a lot of useful info about the best approach.

Which Bank provides your card?
    If it's BOI, you should be ok. AIB have had their palms crossed with RyanAir silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Yeah I have been harassing them on guestrefunds@aerlingus.com, I have sent a few DM's on Twitter and got no response.

I might try the phone call tactic.

TSB who have done charge backs successfully for me with other airlines said they couldn't do it as the flights were booked too long ago.

The time limit is from the flight date not the booking date!

The logic is right, otherwise a lot of advance purchases for
    holidays or events would never meet the time limit for chargebacks.

josip wrote: »
    If you do a search in this thread for posts from paddy19, you'll get a lot of useful info about the best approach.

Which Bank provides your card?
    If it's BOI, you should be ok. AIB have had their palms crossed with RyanAir silver.

AIB unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Caranica wrote: »
    Just got an email from PayPal, Ryanair have refunded me at last!! Only took 107 days :rolleyes: No mail from Ryanair yet but it is a Ryanair refund rather than PayPal actually doing anything to help me. So relieved it's all over!

5 hours later the email from Ryanair just arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Advice for people:
    My flight to spain on the 21st june had its destination changed and I was offered a refund by ryanair if I didnt want to accept. Took the refund option and contacted ryanair today to check the status of the refund. The agent told me repeatedly that I was not entitled to the refund. It was only after I kept at them several time that the flight didnt go ahead and it was ryanair who offered the refund that they finally accepted I was due a refund and that they would process the full amount for me.
    The individual agent was helpful and apologetic but just goes to show that you may need to stand your ground with ryanair to ensure you get your money back.

paddy19 wrote: »
    The time limit is from the flight date not the booking date!

The logic is right, otherwise a lot of advance purchases for
    holidays or events would never meet the time limit for chargebacks.

I am unsure Paddy, that is what the lady in Permanent TSB Open 24 told me on the phone.

TSB were very helpful processing my chargebacks for Ryanair flights and seemingly know their stuff.

I will ring them again and ask.

I was hold for 45 minutes with Aer Lingus today about my refund and didnt get through to an agent before I had to hang up and go on a work call.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Had flight to USA booked for July to San Diego,found out the connecting flight has been changed to depart 4 hours before I land. I rang are lingus today & said I could have a refund. Which will be processed next week.
    The wife has been offered a voucher for a later date. Does anyone know how long the voucher takes with are lingus.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I am unsure Paddy, that is what the lady in Permanent TSB Open 24 told me on the phone.

TSB were very helpful processing my chargebacks for Ryanair flights and seemingly know their stuff.

I will ring them again and ask.

I was hold for 45 minutes with Aer Lingus today about my refund and didnt get through to an agent before I had to hang up and go on a work call.

I just got through to aer lingus in under 6 minutes, seems late is a good time to call.
    Cant say they were very helpful about my refund status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Chargebacks are governed by the Credit card Companies.
    They set out the rules and arbitrate between the issuers bank and the merchants bank.
    The rules are documented in a set of guidelines.
    The lady in the Permanent does make that call.
    Ask her to show where this rule is documented in the guidelines.

AIB provides a service for managing chargebacks for
    merchants with all the credit card companies. (see attached)

Page 4.
    "A chargeback can be received up to 120 days after the
    card transaction was taken. In the case of goods or
    services being delivered, a chargeback can
    be raised up to 120 days from agreed date of delivery."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Batesout wrote: »
    Had flight to USA booked for July to San Diego,found out the connecting flight has been changed to depart 4 hours before I land. I rang are lingus today & said I could have a refund. Which will be processed next week.
    The wife has been offered a voucher for a later date. Does anyone know how long the voucher takes with are lingus.?

I'm waiting 14 weeks for one Aer Lingus voucher and six weeks for a second voucher. I contacted them again today and this was their reply: "sorry for the delay. We have the voucher requests and we'll have them with you over the coming weeks."

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

vektarman wrote: »
    I'm waiting 14 weeks for one Aer Lingus voucher and six weeks for a second voucher. I contacted them again today and this was their reply: "sorry for the delay. We have the voucher requests and we'll have them with you over the coming weeks."

Applied for a voucher on 25th March and no sign
    I was also due to fly next week but had email from Aer Lingus saying flight was cancelled.
    Called them this morning and was on hold approximately 10minutes
    Spoke to operator who processed refund for next weeks flight and prioritised my voucher refund and gave me a reference no, said I should have it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

12 weeks waiting for my Aer Lingus voucher and they still have the cheek to send me emails about summer sun trips. Once I get these vouchers and get them spent, I'm very close to "never again."

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Applied for a voucher on 25th March and no sign
    I was also due to fly next week but had email from Aer Lingus saying flight was cancelled.
    Called them this morning and was on hold approximately 10minutes
    Spoke to operator who processed refund for next weeks flight and prioritised my voucher refund and gave me a reference no, said I should have it next week.

12 weeks waiting for my Aer Lingus voucher and they still have the cheek to send me emails about summer sun trips. Once I get these vouchers and get them spent, I'm very close to "never again."

14 weeks waiting here. Applied on the 20th March. Twitter customer service keep telling me the same thing. A phone call 3 weeks ago told me that my voucher had been reviewed and approved and that it would be expedited. Still no sign.

Good to get updates from others as sometimes I wonder if it's just never going to arrive and others have got theirs. Lots of ppl i've spoken to have applied after me, their flight was after mine too, and they have got their vouchers already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Got the cancellation email from RA on 16th May for flights to go out on 6th Jun

Filled in the online form to request a refund. Decided to be nice and gave them approx 28 working days to refund the money. As nothing was in the account on Friday, I have since sent in my chargeback request to AIB and filled in the flightrights complaint online form this morning

I know someone who got a refund for a flight dating back to march in the last 2 weeks so at least its good to hear something is being paid back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

14 weeks waiting here. Applied on the 20th March. Twitter customer service keep telling me the same thing. A phone call 3 weeks ago told me that my voucher had been reviewed and approved and that it would be expedited. Still no sign.

Good to get updates from others as sometimes I wonder if it's just never going to arrive and others have got theirs. Lots of ppl i've spoken to have applied after me, their flight was after mine too, and they have got their vouchers already.

I hear you. Waiting since April here and still nothing.

Been on to Ryanair on chat about my March flights. They assured me they would "have the March back log cleared in two weeks".

We will see.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Got the cancellation email from RA on 16th May for flights to go out on 6th Jun

Filled in the online form to request a refund. Decided to be nice and gave them approx 28 working days to refund the money. As nothing was in the account on Friday, I have since sent in my chargeback request to AIB and filled in the flightrights complaint online form this morning

I know someone who got a refund for a flight dating back to march in the last 2 weeks so at least its good to hear something is being paid back

Did you give AIB proof of conversations with Ryanair such as screenshots of Live Chat etc? I was told that I’d need to provide screenshots of live chats etc to go along with my charge back form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did you give AIB proof of conversations with Ryanair such as screenshots of Live Chat etc? I was told that I’d need to provide screenshots of live chats etc to go along with my charge back form.

I never engaged in any live chats with them.

I got the email confirming flight was cancelled with a link to apply for a refund which I did

I sent copies of all the emails and the screenshot of the refund application etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

So we were meant to travel to Canada, flying last week and returning next week. We booked the flights online with Air Canada.

Got an email months ago saying our flight over was cancelled. They're offering vouchers, but resisting all of my attempts to insist on a refund. They say the EU laws don't apply to them and they're following the Canadian Govt. guidelines.

The return flight still hasn't been cancelled. It was changed from Vancouver - Dublin to Vancouver - Toronto - Dublin, and then the time was changed by 15 minutes and then changed by 1 day, and that's its current status.

I got in touch with my Travel Insurance company but so far all I'm getting is 'we're very busy'. I got in touch with PSTB, whose Credit Card we used for the tickets, and I was told they don't do charge backs on flights.

What are my options here? Are Air Canada right that EU law doesn't apply? Are the sites like flightrights.ie etc. any use to me, or are they only for Irish based airlines? I just want our money back, but can't seem to find the right starting point.

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

I sent a live chat screenshot to them...they didn't specifically ask for it but i felt like it would help speed things up...it took 6 weeks from initial request to chargeback whether that's speedy or not I don't know..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Think I’m 2 1/2 weeks now waiting on AIB, I sent my chats with RA too so hoping they don’t act the maggot

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Got my money back finally for flights 4-11 of April. No message or email so not sure was it ryanair refund, AIB charge back or flight rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

I received an email from flightrights yesterday asking me to submit information to them... I originally uploaded this info on the 22nd April.. I sent them an email to say that I received my money back through chargeback... very disappointing service provided from flightrights... I know they are busy but if they can't uphold the law that they govern then how is a consumer supposed to feel protected...

Dear

I refer to your online complaint submission received 22 April 2020. In order to process your complaint, we require the following:

- A complete Booking Confirmation (Including Itinerary, Passenger List and Payment Confirmation)

- Copies of complaint made with the air carrier in relation to this case – Please note, we require a written complaint to be made with the airline before escalating to the Commission

- The cancellation notice received

If we do not receive these documents within two weeks of the date of this email the Commission will no longer process the claim and will treat it as closed.

If you have already received your refund, kindly respond to this email confirming receipt of payment and we will amend our records accordingly.

I await your response.

Advertisement