Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Morning All,

I currently have flights booked for New York for March 2021, i have already had to move the flights twice.

Realistically i cannot see us going in March in the current climate, what is the likelyhood of Ae Lingus refunding us for our flights?

We are in a similar situation for another set of flights at the end of next week for edinburgh,

That depends on what are the terms you booked them under? Airlines have changed their terms a few times over the last 6 months. Only you have those details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If the scheduled departure time has changed by more than 2 hours you are entitled to a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

If the scheduled departure time has changed by more than 2 hours you are entitled to a full refund.

They have for both flights.

If you moved flights after being notified then you accepted the change

If they moved your booking then you can claim a refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MonkeySpanner

As mentioned if they moved the flights by more than 2 hours and you haven't changed anything on your end since you should be able to get a refund.

I had flights cancelled in March and the days changed last month as got a refund easily enough for both. I filled out the online refund form (link) and got a reference number. I gave it about 10 days and no refund so I sent them a private message on Twitter both times and they processed it for me and the refund was on my card a couple of days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Budget air Ireland still has not refunded me,

Nearly 60 days now at this stage dealing with them,

They agreed 14 days ago to refund me however they said it will take up to 9 months to give me my refund

I gave them the 10 business day deadline to refund me and now today they are telling me that Qatar has not agreed to refund me yet however I have a email from them on the 25th saying Qatar has agreed to refund me ..... now they told me they have not agreed to refund me ....

So for anyone who has had to do a charge back will they help my claim ? By having the proof that they agreed and now they are saying they never agreed ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You’ve nothing to lose at this stage looking for the chargeback, depending on your bank it could take months. AIB are taking months.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

I got back onto Ryanair WebChat today, asked for evidence of the refund to LoveHolidays on 07/08/2020, which LoveHolidays say they did not receive. I was told that LoveHolidays initiated a chargeback for the full amount on 07/08/2020 and it was processed. I asked for the card type and the card last four digits that the chargeback was processed to. Was told this was sensitive information I could not be given.
    I said that the card type and last four digits appears on the first email I received from Ryanair when the booking was confirmed in February. So I gave him/her the details and s/he confirmed that they were the card details that the chargeback was processed to.
    Now I am waiting for an email from Ryanair with a transcript of the webchat and I will upload it to the "Airline refund proof" section in LoveHolidays "Manage my Booking". And I expect it will be further ignored by LH.
    My holiday was ATOL protected, does anyone know if the Travel Agent has to go bust before an ATOL claim can be made? Or can I claim for the flights because they are not refunding me?

pc7 wrote: »
    You’ve nothing to lose at this stage looking for the chargeback, depending on your bank it could take months. AIB are taking months.

That’s the plan I have already kicked one off one for my hotel in Bali and my bank has confirmed that they have started the process so just have to wait and see now, the hotel refused my refund however they told me to open a charge back on my card to get my refund haha

I know things are hard in the travel industry due to Covid but jeses if the show was on the other foot it will be a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 johnmaggie11

I have flights booked for Nov 2020 and wish to move them to Nov 2021 but I only get an option to change them up to May 2021. I rang Aer Lingus and they said I should change to May 2021 making sure the flights were the same price, and then in May I can change them to Nov without any charges. Trouble is even though I did find flights at the same price they’re charging €148 - not the total cost as that’s €338. What can I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Davybhoyy

I need help and some reliable information about getting money back or my entitlements to a switch of dates. We booked a week in Canaries through lastminute. Com. But because of restrictions in late August we couldn't go. If we did we would have to isolate over there and then a further two weeks when we came back to Ireland. We contacted LM but never got a real reply only an automated service and when we asked for a refund we were emailed with an 800 euro settlement from 1886 euro. We then requested a change of date before the departure dates again we were told it will be dealt with. Never heard back. Till almost three weeks after the departure date. We were then contacted, and given a phone number that answered. The lady told us she would change the dates to January and would send me an email to confirm. We then received an email that stated there was no available dates, which wasn't true as we rang the hotel. Then the fun and games started with the agent and the hotel stating they need confirmation from each other that they would facilitate the dates. With us playing the middle man. It came to ahead with my wife demanding a refund or a switch of dates which they said they would try accommodate. We received another email to state we were not entitled to a refund and they would try speak to the hotel to switch dates to next year June. We have spoke to the hotel the whole time and they would accomodate a switch providing LM contacted them. We don't know what to do or who to turn too. We have asked them to explain in their terms and conditions how we are not entitled to a fefund. Any advice or similar experiences or solutions would be greatly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

we had flights booked to ohio for june via chicago , the flight left ireland on time and on right day, we had booked aer lingus flights but through trip advisor with my trip.ie. and got a full refund, not sure if it was because we werrn't allowed enter the states or if it was because my trip didnt fulfill their end of contract,. my trip were great they emailed twice a month to update us and they did all the negotiaciation, and full refund to cr card with 8 weeks , so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnmaggie11

I asked on Twitter about this - still no answer there from Aerlingus. However they did email me this morning and cancelled the flight as borders are closed to visitors on the Isle of Man. My options are 1) A refund. 2) A voucher 3) Move to a future date. So Dublin to Isle of Man 6/11/20 - 10/11/20 cancelled. Yippee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Finnair: November outbound flights cancelled yesterday. Called this morning, 3 minutes on the phone. Email an hour later saying refund processed and would be on my card in 2-5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Has anyone experienced trying to get a holiday voucher in return for a lost deposit with Joe Walsh tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Ricta wrote: »
    I got back onto Ryanair WebChat today, asked for evidence of the refund to LoveHolidays on 07/08/2020, which LoveHolidays say they did not receive. I was told that LoveHolidays initiated a chargeback for the full amount on 07/08/2020 and it was processed. I asked for the card type and the card last four digits that the chargeback was processed to. Was told this was sensitive information I could not be given.
    I said that the card type and last four digits appears on the first email I received from Ryanair when the booking was confirmed in February. So I gave him/her the details and s/he confirmed that they were the card details that the chargeback was processed to.
    Now I am waiting for an email from Ryanair with a transcript of the webchat and I will upload it to the "Airline refund proof" section in LoveHolidays "Manage my Booking". And I expect it will be further ignored by LH.
    My holiday was ATOL protected, does anyone know if the Travel Agent has to go bust before an ATOL claim can be made? Or can I claim for the flights because they are not refunding me?

Exact same boat with LoveHolidays. I have opened a transaction dispute with Revolut with the Ryanair and LoveHolidays chat transcript, will let you know how I get on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I have a flight booked I'm hoping they cancel (AL), but they have two flights that day, my one and a later one. Every day so far just has the flight at my time. Am I better moving to the other flight in the hope they pull it? Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

I have a flight booked I'm hoping they cancel (AL), but they have two flights that day, my one and a later one. Every day so far just has the flight at my time. Am I better moving to the other flight in the hope they pull it? Any thoughts?

If the time difference between flights is more than 2 hours your best bet is to rebook to the likely cancelled flight.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/cancellations-and-refunds/

Schedule Change by Aer Lingus

If the change is more than two hours or causes you to miss a connecting flight on the same ticket, you are entitled to a full refund, otherwise the rules of the fare purchased apply.

Thanks Paddy, they didn’t fly my flight yday so living in hope. Will monitor over next few days. Thanks for all your help over the months

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy, they didn’t fly my flight yday so living in hope. Will monitor over next few days. Thanks for all your help over the months

Per Aer Lingus:
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/ca...s-and-refunds/

"Cancellations or changes must be made up to two hours before
    the scheduled departure time, after which all money associated
    with the flight (with the exception of Government tax) is forfeited."

You should be able to know more than a couple of hours before the flight if will fly.

Keep an eye on the airport departures web site.

Some good news for me got my refund for my hotel in Bali Woop woop, got it via charge back .....

Now my flights is a different story, printed off all the emails, I think about 20 plus pages of emails if not more between myself and budget air Ireland, they keep telling me different answers......

However they done one big boo boo they sent me a email from Qatar ..... that they basicly did not ass to follow up on the refund for over 35 days at a time !!!! While they where telling me one thing and have proof that they done another thing

Also budget air have told me they won’t refund me if I open a charge back !!!!!

Nearly 60 days going in circles with budget air Ireland hopefully this helps on my charge back case

Anyway fingers crossed I he refunded in the next 2 months ha

"However they done one big boo boo they sent me a email from Qatar ..... that they basically did not ass to follow up on the refund for over 35 days at a time !!!! While they where telling me one thing and have proof that they done another thing "

Not to confuse the picture but technically Qatar owe you the money under EU261. It could be worth going directly to Qatar (you have an email address) and see what sort of response you get.

You could at least get them to clarify who has your money.

Under Irish law your contract is with Budgetair. But of course we have all learned how much contract law is worth in a pandemic.

I have flights booked for Nov 2020 and wish to move them to Nov 2021 but I only get an option to change them up to May 2021. I rang Aer Lingus and they said I should change to May 2021 making sure the flights were the same price, and then in May I can change them to Nov without any charges. Trouble is even though I did find flights at the same price they’re charging €148 - not the total cost as that’s €338. What can I do.

Is your November flight likely to fly?
    Check flight history on flightaware.com

If it is likely to fly you might want to change to a flight (not necessarily to the same destination) that is not likely to fly at a lower charge and go for a full refund.

In my experience the refund is for the original fare not a new flight charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

they have not given refunds for months
    it will probably take a year to get a refund
    if they don't declare bankruptcy

Yap like so what I did was email Qatar with the email address that was on the email budget air sent me,

Asking nicely if they can help with my refund and so on,

Fingers crossed this will work and get my my refund !!!!

Never again am I going to book things ahead of time !!! One of my Firend's is right go on a last min deal and hope for the best !!!

salamiii wrote: »
    they have not given refunds for months
    it will probably take a year to get a refund
    if they don't declare bankruptcy

Ignore this

If you are entitled to a refund due time change by more than 2 hours or a cancellation YOU WILL be refunded.

I had two refund requests for this scenario, the first was paid after 8 weeks (flights in mid August), the second is only in 5 weeks (flight in September) so I expect it to be resolved before the end of the month. No hassle, no phone calls etc.

If you booked flight A, accepted and paid to move to flight B and flight B is now cancelled/altered +2 hours you get the refund of all monies paid

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aslamshaun

I started a chargeback with AIB in the first week of this month (Not related to flights or hotels). They said 40 days were their standard timeframe before COVID. I guess its a waiting time now

BTW, how long is your chargeback going right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Got my refund from LoveHolidays today. I would recommend opening a dispute with your card issuer as it seemed to get them moving within a number of days

• Advertisement

aslamshaun wrote: »
    I started a chargeback with AIB in the first week of this month (Not related to flights or hotels). They said 40 days were their standard timeframe before COVID. I guess its a waiting time now

BTW, how long is your chargeback going right now?

My RA one was with them 4 months and still stuck in the queue by the time RA refunded me. I have one now with them 2 months, not too hopeful they are brutally slow :(

Advertisement