Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident more than year ago

Options
  • 27-04-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

As title says, today randomly get phone call from solicitor that other party looking for the bill. I advised that their insurance allready paid for it and I've no idea how much it ended up costing. I had estimate somewhare but I can't find it. Anyway, next lady on other end goes yes that's fine so.. They are looking to inspect vehicle if I still have it.
    I said yes I have the vehicle. Inspect away.
    Thought this was strange. Accident happened more than year agoo. Why would anyone need to inspect it now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Maybe they're getting bored during 'Lockdown'....:).

Seriously, if they contact you again just explain that they have already paid for the repairs, you have had the repairs completed (a year ago !!), and that there is no need to bother you any further.
    If they want a receipt, tell them to contact the bodyshop who did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Just never been in such situation before. Surely if they needed to inspect my vehicle they would have done it prior repairs? Or even after.... But not year later that's just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mea_k wrote: »
    Just never been in such situation before. Surely if they needed to inspect my vehicle they would have done it prior repairs? Or even after.... But not year later that's just mad.

I'd refuse to let them inspect anything. If I'm reading correctly,you had an accident with a third party, they're ins paid up,and now this call out of the blue ?

The Insurers should have a copy of the repair quote (and possibly a receipt also).
    Did they pay you, or pay the Bodyshop directly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Let all correspondence be in writing on this, that's all I'd advise. Let your insurers deal with this too. Be careful, it's a strange request

• Advertisement

Paid bodyshop, I have never recieved any money at all.
    I wonder did they ended up paying now or something obviously is quite wrong.
    I'm starting to think. Maybe I should after all refuse the inspection. Seeing that vehicle was repaired more than year agoo.
    I'm just wondering is there something comming my way now.
    Btw rear end collision. Lady admitted liability, car was fixed. After that refused liability.
    Maybe they are looking for me to foot the bill now. What a mess ha ah

I wouldn't entertain any of this.

It's odd and why have the involved a solicitor when is finished? No no, something not right about this

Ha ha ha, just my luck. I've contacted my solicitor see what the story is.
    Also note - phone nummber I got phone call from, can't find it at all as legit solicitors nummber.... Strange
    Edit - extension. Phone nummber legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mea_k wrote: »
    Paid bodyshop, I have never recieved any money at all.
    I wonder did they ended up paying now or something obviously is quite wrong.
    I'm starting to think. Maybe I should after all refuse the inspection. Seeing that vehicle was repaired more than year agoo.
    I'm just wondering is there something comming my way now.
    Btw rear end collision. Lady admitted liability, car was fixed. After that refused liability.
    Maybe they are looking for me to foot the bill now. What a mess ha ah

I'd be looking for all correspondence in writing(as already advised). I'd also inform my ins company (doesn't matter if you've moved on from them). This does indeed seem like a very strange request. Refuse them access to the vehicle. What if you had sold it since ? . Tell them to P. F. O.

I'd guess that the Solicitor/Insurer messed up and pulled an old File. When the Solicitor's Secretary realised this she attempted to save face by asking to inspect the Car (if you still have it ).
    I'd say you won't hear from them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Get it all in writing, make sure you told your insurer about accident, be aware that they may have decided to do an injury claim.

Very wary when you get this
    Lady admitted liability, car was fixed. After that refused liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unusual for a solicitor acting on a third party's behalf contacting contacting you by phone call. Normally they would make contact by written correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I'd not entertain any approaches.
    If they contact you again, point them in the direction of the insurance company.

Which Insurer??
    The OP's Insurer has nothing to do with this as he didn't make a claim with them.
    If the phone call is genuine then the solicitor is acting on behalf of the other party's Insurers. No point in referring them to the Company they are acting on behalf of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I don't think the OP has been very clear as to whether the solicitor is acting for the 3rd party or his own insurer

Why would the OP's Insurer engage a Solicitor to ask him about a bill relating to another Insurer ?

The OP just said he got a call from 'solicitor ' that other party looking for bill. It's quite possible that the OP's insurers have received further correspondence from the 3rd party and they have instructed a solicitor to investigate.

It appears to me that English may not be the OP's first language and I was looking for clarification before commenting

Stop reaching :rolleyes:.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Stop reaching :rolleyes:.

I tell you what, because you know all the exact circumstances, I'll let you provide the definitive advice

Advertisement